Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2-3 bed end-of-terrace/semi for 250k --- Where?

Options
  • 18-06-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I am looking for a 2 or (ideally) 3 bed terrace (and ideally end-of-terrace or semi) for 250k. I am not keen of suburban living (as I had enough of that in my youth).

With this in mind, which parts of Dublin (area, and street if you can) would you consider? Obviously, you all have different preferences. However, if you would act within these conditions and this budget, which places would you check, and why?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

First result on a search of Dublin 12, Max €250 is this

Grand looking house. Very good area. I checked there as I was born and reared 5 minutes away (Walkinstwon, not so keen on Crumlin or Drimnagh). Lots of amenities and transport links within easy reach. Personally I'd be looking for an extra bedroom but I believe this one is a good start given your parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Its the countryside for me all the way, but I was renting in Swords for work for a while. I don't know most of the areas there, as I was working there before some of the houses were built. With that said, a search for Swords 3 bed semi's brings up a few results within your price range.

I lived in a rental in Cherry avenue and found it to be quiet then, seemed to an area where peoples families had mostly grown up. With that in mind, and if a single story doesn't bother you, a quick search gave me this for example in Cherry Garth.

Again, like you said it is down to individual tastes. Easy to maintain single level, and something handy to do up to your own taste. Swords has good transport links, and there are plenty of shops etc.

Good luck in your search by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Estrellita wrote: »
    Swords has good transport links, and there are plenty of shops etc. :)

Thanks. Never even consider Swords, and focused very much on Crumlin and Drimnagh, then Walkingstown for a bit. Any further experiences to share about Swords? Transportation to city center? Is the area developing or well settled?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

ampleforth wrote: »
    Thanks. Never even consider Swords, and focused very much on Crumlin and Drimnagh, then Walkingstown for a bit. Any further experiences to share about Swords? Transportation to city center? Is the area developing or well settled?

No problem. Well as you said yourself, tastes vary and what you are after yourself. I've no experience of the newer estates, but I picked out that one for you because it was settled and no trouble really as estates go.

The area is the 'Valley' side, and Dublin buses ran from the area regularly into the city. I used to take the 41X out to Ucd area daily. In terms of social life, plenty of places to eat, pubs, the cinema is there in the Pavilions shopping centre. That is full of shops, clothing food etc. You really wouldn't be stuck for anything. Nearby Malahide castle is nice for a walk, cuppa or meal. Avoca there if it's of any interest to you too.

Someone else might come along here with more up to date information on the area than I have, but Id look into Swords for sure :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Allegedly they are supposed to be building a spur on the airport light suburban rail line to Swords- however, thats been mooted for most of the last 20 years- and if we didn't build it when we had money- odds are we won't build it now.

All-in-all- it is a mature little town in its own right- but with a number of new areas- and indeed, some quite considerable retail, industrial and office parks.

Traditionally- a lot of the airport workers would have lived in the greater Swords area- and it has a decent enough reputation.

I worked in Swords for a number of years- and was reliant on public transport at the time. Personally- its not for me- but I wouldn't have any hesitation in moving there- if I had to- I don't have any bad associations with the area.

As you head a little further north- its real market gardening territory- even these days I nip over for fresh fruit and veg every now and then- beats the crap you buy in the supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

Allegedly they are supposed to be building a spur on the airport light suburban rail line to Swords- however, thats been mooted for most of the last 20 years- and if we didn't build it when we had money- odds are we won't build it now.

All-in-all- it is a mature little town in its own right- but with a number of new areas- and indeed, some quite considerable retail, industrial and office parks.

Traditionally- a lot of the airport workers would have lived in the greater Swords area- and it has a decent enough reputation.

I worked in Swords for a number of years- and was reliant on public transport at the time. Personally- its not for me- but I wouldn't have any hesitation in moving there- if I had to- I don't have any bad associations with the area.

As you head a little further north- its real market gardening territory- even these days I nip over for fresh fruit and veg every now and then- beats the crap you buy in the supermarkets.

Can I ask is there a market nearby for fruit and veg - thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Macker2001 wrote: »
    Can I ask is there a market nearby for fruit and veg - thanks

There is a farmers market every Saturday in Swords itself (just next to the courthouse)- there are also a number of producers when you head up northbound- who are willing to sell to the public if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

There is a farmers market every Saturday in Swords itself (just next to the courthouse)- there are also a number of producers when you head up northbound- who are willing to sell to the public if you ask.

Great thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

For that kind of budget I would look at East Wall.. The whole IFSC is being developed over the next few years and will continue down to the three arena.. Central bank nearly finished with more parks offices and apartments on the way. I can see the area coming up over the next while.. The same thing happened to Rings end.. which is fairly trendy now compared to how it used to be.. luas line.. shops super markets on your Doorstep.. close to city.. 15 mins to airport. I Dont live there but walk through it everyday to work. I'd rather live in something with no management fees closer to work than a bigger place with a long commute

Thanks for all those intersting suggestions. I will def. view a few houses in Swords :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Are you looking to walk into a house, or are you comfortable doing it up?

One thing on Swords, its connection to public transport isnt wonderful, colleague in work has to drive it, or spend alot of time on public transport. I reckon you could get something in your budget in either Phibsborough or Glasnevin for that price. Good bus services, and nice locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

budhabob wrote: »

One thing on Swords, its connection to public transport isnt wonderful, colleague in work has to drive it, or spend alot of time on public transport. I reckon you could get something in your budget in either Phibsborough or Glasnevin for that price. Good bus services, and nice locations.

I disagree, the swords is express is fantastic. Although saying that I dont commute to town but when I do need to go in I find it unbeatable. Actually ge tin quicker than when I lived in Terenure which is much closer to the city.

budhabob wrote: »

To some degree yes, changing a boiler, the usual repainting (inside and outside), and removing an odd (non-supporting) wall to open up a kitchen (for example) would be OK. I do not plan to turn a house completely around, it should be 90% there. I am not a real handyman, but interested in it and love o learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

4 Clonshaugh Rise, Clonshaugh, Dublin 17, D17PW44
    €240,000 -

20 Clonshaugh Grove, Clonshaugh, Dublin 17
    €225,000 - 3 Bed Terraced House For Sale

Maybe not the most amazing place ever but it got a garage and good transport links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Lived there for the last 8 years and would highly recommend it. Both my wife and I work in the city center so use the bus. Depending on where you are in Swords, there is the 43, 41X, 142 and Swords Express. We were near the M1 so used all 4 depending on what time we were traveling.

I would recommend the Holywell estate. Close to Airside, Pavilions, M1 for driving and buses to town. Also has a Spar and community center in the Educate Together school. You'll get a three bed end of terrace for around €250K and find them well built and modern houses. We lived on the old side, north of the inter change road to the M1.

If you want to know anything else just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Further out then Swords you would get a lovely 3 bed house in Rush or Lusk which has the coastal setting and country feel on the doorstep of the city (30 mins drive to city center off peak)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

My budget is around 260K also and I am from Tallaght and rent there at the moment I am looking for a 3 bed semi with a decent garden and with the way prices have gone up I cant get anything.
    I have looked in Walkinstown and the prices there are even higher its like a no hope situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Angel2016 wrote: »
    My budget is around 260K also and I am from Tallaght and rent there at the moment I am looking for a 3 bed semi with a decent garden and with the way prices have gone up I cant get anything.
    I have looked in Walkinstown and the prices there are even higher its like a no hope situation.

You should be able to get a 3 bed semi in Tallaght with a garden for 260k.

Ush1 wrote: »
    You should be able to get a 3 bed semi in Tallaght with a garden for 260k.

You would have earlier in the year but not now check out any of the websites for looking for a house and you will see the lack of houses out there, I must add I won't and don't want to live in West Tallaght as in Fettercairn, Kilnarden, Jobstown as I am not from that end of Tallaght but I am looking at the Millbrook Lawns, Oldbawn, Kingswood where I rent now, Bawnville and there isn't really much.

When I was looking earlier this year and late last year there was a good choice, we did view one in Glenview last week but there was alot of people viewing that day and alot of bids too so no chance on that one its very hard to see how we will get what we need this side of Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The promised land is between Raheny and Howth on the DART line where the neigbours are friendly, the kids are polite and the sun always shines, except when it's raining.

I'm not allowed to speak it's name anymore so I will whisper it quietly... Kilbarrack

:pac:

• Advertisement

The promised land is between Raheny and Howth on the DART line where the neigbours are friendly, the kids are polite and the sun always shines, except when it's raining.

I'm not allowed to speak it's name anymore so I will whisper it quietly... Kilbarrack

:pac:

I am a southsider so won't go over to the dark side as much as my husband would like me too lol...as he is from Clontarf but even still we can't afford anything over there either its case of sit and wait I think and see what way the market goes.

I am a southsider so won't go over to the dark side as much as my husband would like me too lol...as he is from Clontarf but even still we can't afford anything over there either its case of sit and wait I think and see what way the market goes.

As embarrassed to admit it after recent events I'm a Brit, I lived in D8 for over a decade and nothing was going to get me to go over to the Northside. The Cap gain exemption made D8 pricing go mental when we were looking for a place and I came out here even though I'd completely discounted D5.

I went from maybe getting a 2 bed shoe-box for 10 years to potentially the forever home. Fell in love with a 4 bed semi with huge gardens, I'm a ten minute cycle to the beach and St. Anne's park and have Clontarf, Howth and Malahide just up the road.

Initially I was told to keep to myself, something I've never been good at. The day we moved in my neighbour behind came over and next door a couple days later. Two of the nicest families I've ever met. Within a month we'd met a few more families and encountered even 'the kids from the cul-de-sac' who are a little more rough and ready but actually great kids who are fine; not as well behaved as the other group but certainly no worse than I was at that age!

I know I keep going on about the place in various threads, always on topic I hope, but I really couldn't be happier. While the prices are still good out here I'm doing my best to publishise that fact! :D

As embarrassed to admit it after recent events I'm a Brit, I lived in D8 for over a decade and nothing was going to get me to go over to the Northside. The Cap gain exemption made D8 pricing go mental when we were looking for a place and I came out here even though I'd completely discounted D5.

I went from maybe getting a 2 bed shoe-box for 10 years to potentially the forever home. Fell in love with a 4 bed semi with huge gardens, I'm a ten minute cycle to the beach and St. Anne's park and have Clontarf, Howth and Malahide just up the road.

Initially I was told to keep to myself, something I've never been good at. The day we moved in my neighbour behind came over and next door a couple days later. Two of the nicest families I've ever met. Within a month we'd met a few more families and encountered even 'the kids from the cul-de-sac' who are a little more rough and ready but actually great kids who are fine; not as well behaved as the other group but certainly no worse than I was at that age!

I know I keep going on about the place in various threads, always on topic I hope, but I really couldn't be happier. While the prices are still good out here I'm doing my best to publishise that fact! :D

You seem happy anyway so that's all good if I don't get out of the rental market soon I am going to explode its wasted money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

The irony of someone from Tallaght being "too good" for the Northside.

Talk about misplaced notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

St Anns park really is hidden Jewell, coffee in the red stables and walk or even just a stroll around the rose garden.

mariaalice wrote: »
    St Anns park really is hidden Jewell, coffee in the red stables and walk or even just a stroll around the rose garden.

I'm ashamed to admit I've been all of twice in the year here! Hoping for nice weather this weekend but the beech is a real pull!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

The irony of someone from Tallaght being "too good" for the Northside.

Talk about misplaced notions.

Says the Northsider who moved to SCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The problem in Tallaght is month on month it has had the highest increase in all of Ireland in price. Well D24 not just Tallaght. 6.6% I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

The Mulk wrote: »
    Says the Northsider who moved to SCD.

Yep, but I'm honest, open and most importantly proud about where I'm from.

I had 3x failed attempts at buying on the northside. I then decided to broaden my search and found something that felt like a good fit for me, and yes its in SCD. Also, my OH is from the southside, so one of us was going to have to move.

Thanks for keeping such good track of my posts BTW!

Edit: Because I don't have the apparent "typical northsider accent" (never have by the way) I'm regularly subjected to the ill informed opinions of people on the subject of the northside as it never crossed their minds that there is a northsider in their midst. So yes, its a bit of a trigger subject for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Yep, but I'm honest, open and most importantly proud about where I'm from.

I had 3x failed attempts at buying on the northside. I then decided to broaden my search and found something that felt like a good fit for me, and yes its in SCD. Also, my OH is from the southside, so one of us was going to have to move.

Thanks for keeping such good track of my posts BTW!

No problem, I've a good memory.

The OP seems to be equally proud of D24, although she states he's from Clontarf, which is a more realistic location to buy a nice starter home for 250k

Advertisement