Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing between banks

• 18-06-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to open a bank account which don't have any maintenance fees.
    I read if you keep minimum of 2500e at AIB then it's no fees and 3000e for Bank of Ireland.

I just want to open this account to save up money. I don't want bank card with it and will be depositing money only in this account. But bank should have a branch so I can withdraw cash if any emergency arises.

Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It sounds like a savings account is what you're looking to open and if you don't want an ATM card, I'd suggest you open an account in your local credit union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Just checked out credit union. They don't have online account.
    it would be great if I could atleast check balance online anytime
    coylemj wrote: »
    It sounds like a savings account is what you're looking to open and if you don't want an ATM card, I'd suggest you open an account in your local credit union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Depends on the CU. My local one has a facility to check balances online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

I just want to open this account to save up money. I don't want bank card with it and will be depositing money only in this account. But bank should have a branch so I can withdraw cash if any emergency arises.

Any suggestions please?

Have a read of the this best buy guide.

This was very useful. I have read the 3 different options but I found it confusing, maybe bcoz I have never done it before.

Could anyone help,
    For example if I have 5000 euros in AIB and I want to invest it for 1 year. However, it should be made available to me when needed urgently. What's my best bet? I saw they have online AIB savers but not unsure if that's the best option for me.
    JTMan wrote: »
    Have a read of the this best buy guide.

• Advertisement

Your credit union will give you a pass book, why do you need to be able to check the balance online? If there's no ATM card on the account, you don't have to worry about withdrawals that you forgot about, the balance will more or less always be what it shows in the pass book, except when they add interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ebs and nationwide have savings rate at 3% I have one with tsb and rate dropped to 1.25%

This was very useful. I have read the 3 different options but I found it confusing, maybe bcoz I have never done it before.

Could anyone help,
    For example if I have 5000 euros in AIB and I want to invest it for 1 year. However, it should be made available to me when needed urgently. What's my best bet? I saw they have online AIB savers but not unsure if that's the best option for me.

Given that you are already with AIB, you won't go too far wrong with the AIB Online Regular Saver account product. Set up a standing order for 10 EUR per month and wire 990 EUR manually for the first 5 months. Instant access and 2.00% AER variable interest.

Ebs and nationwide have savings rate at 3% I have one with tsb and rate dropped to 1.25%

Nationwide UK (Ireland) rate has dropped to 2.50% AER variable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,278 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can anyone tell me how you lodge cash in a saving account?
    Is that a silly question. I mean can you walk into TSB and hand over 100 euro for them to put into ones savings/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is that a silly question. I mean can you walk into TSB and hand over 100 euro for them to put into ones savings/

You can. Also do online or even set up regular saving where 100 can come out each month as example.

Transfer the money via online banking is the simplest way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

EBS works best for me

Thanks everyone for the input.

I am going to try this AIB online saver as mentioned by JTMAN.

But after 5 months, I won't have much of money to deposit. Will it effect?

And how much of DIRT do I need to pay?
    Given that you are already with AIB, you won't go too far wrong with the AIB Online Regular Saver account product. Set up a standing order for 10 EUR per month and wire 990 EUR manually for the first 5 months. Instant access and 2.00% AER variable interest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Try Davy Select, they have an online facility and you can pay in and withdraw cash when required with no penalties for doing so.

Thanks.

I have opened AIB Online Saver but I don't understand one thing.
    It says "Credit @2.00% upto 1000e and 0.150% above".
    Does it mean if I transfer manually anything above 1000e a month, I would get 0.150% credit only?

Thanks everyone for the input.

I am going to try this AIB online saver as mentioned by JTMAN.

But after 5 months, I won't have much of money to deposit. Will it effect?

And how much of DIRT do I need to pay?

DIRT is 41% for almost everyone. The bank will deduct the DIRT.

You only need to deposit 10 EUR each month by standing order. Anything above that can be done via an online transfer.

PaulM1977 wrote: »
    Try Davy Select, they have an online facility and you can pay in and withdraw cash when required with no penalties for doing so.

Davy Select do not pay bank interest a fa as I can see and you might end up with other maintenance charges. This is not a suitable account for savings.

Thanks.

Does it mean if I transfer manually anything above 1000e a month, I would get 0.150% credit only?

No. It is to do with your total balance in the account and not the total wire per month.

Month 1: Anything above 1,000 EUR gets 0.15% interest.
    Month 2: Anything above 2,000 EUR gets 0.15% interest.
    Month 12: Anything above 12,000 EUR gets 0.15% interest.
    Month 13: Anything above 1,000 EUR gets 0.15% interest. (The cycle starts again).

10 EUR must come from a standing order.
    You can manually wire as much as you want per month. However, keep in mind the rate tier as per the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭nhg

Thanks.

It means they pay 2.00% on balance up to €1000 and 0.150% on any balance above this (it's normally the lower interest rate on amounts over €10,000 - just double check - just checked my own online notice & online savings a/c both only paying 0.150% on all amounts! )

• Advertisement

It's clear now.
    many thanks
    No. It is to do with your total balance in the account and not the total wire per month.

Month 1: Anything above 1,000 EUR gets 0.15% interest.
    Month 2: Anything above 2,000 EUR gets 0.15% interest.
    Month 12: Anything above 12,000 EUR gets 0.15% interest.
    Month 13: Anything above 1,000 EUR gets 0.15% interest. (The cycle starts again).

10 EUR must come from a standing order.
    You can manually wire as much as you want per month. However, keep in mind the rate tier as per the above.

Davy Select do not pay bank interest a fa as I can see and you might end up with other maintenance charges. This is not a suitable account for savings.

Davy Select have an annual charge of 0.90% and any other investment gains you make are yours, less any CGT that may fall due, you also have an annual CGT threshold where you don't have to pay any tax on the first €1,270.00 you make each year.

PaulM1977 wrote: »
    Davy Select have an annual charge of 0.90% and any other investment gains you make are yours, less any CGT that may fall due, you also have an annual CGT threshold where you don't have to pay any tax on the first €1,270.00 you make each year.

OP is looking for a savings account, Davy Select is a totally different beast altogether .....

Davy Select is designed for investors who are comfortable making their own investment decisions, without financial advice; this is known as “execution-only”. Execution-Only is not for everyone. You should ensure that you fully understand any investment and the associated risks before making a decision to invest.

http://www.davyselect.ie/about/why-davy-select.html

Davy Select will allow him to save regularly and not lock his money away which he does not want to do. He can also invest in their low risk GPS fund so that there is minimal risk involved. The return in the low risk GPS fund would be similar to other savings account and is offered as an extra option, I am not saying he should invest in a fund in emerging markets/S&P 500 or put all his cash in to equities, just to explore this as another avenue for him to save through. With financial advice, it is a very viable option for anyone looking to save.

Thanks for suggesting Davy Select. I have limited knowledge about how these financial institutions work, so to be on the safer side I have opened AIB Online saver account.
    I may use Davy in future once I an comfortable with these..many thanks. Cheers

Advertisement