Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about couriers and customs charges

• 18-06-2016 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Earlier in the year, I imported a set of scientific instruments from the US. The seller engaged FedEx to transport said instruments, and I received them without issue or note of anything untoward or owing.

Recently I got a letter from fedex stating I owed them a sum of money for their payment of the import charges. I have no issue paying the Customs agents for these charges as I obey the laws in this matter.
    However, I am curious as to why FedEx are trying to chase me for their unrequested payment of the charges - I have no contract with them for that shipping of the instruments as that's exclusively between the vendor and the shipping agent. Given that the instruments were delivered without notice of outstanding charges, I feel as though I should thank FedEx for their goodwill in paying these charges when they didn't have to..

If Customs contact me directly for payment of any fees, I'll pay - it's my preferred method of dealing with the issue and avoids the courier "handling" fees. These fees are a matter between myself and the State and nothing to do with the courier as far as I understand things. Given that FedEx have already paid the import duties on my behalf without my agreement, I don't think that Customs will care..

Thoughts on the matter?

Advertisement