Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group F - Portugal vs Austria, 8 pm, RTE & BBC

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Expect Portugal to still get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

murpho999 wrote: »
    How can you be an idiot for being caught offside in a fast moving game?

because he was standing offside facing both the lineman and the crosser of the static ball.

It was a set piece, there was no 'fast' play to be caught put by.

He was just standing 2 yards behind the defenders.... like a big oily statue to ineptitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Is Sanches injured?? Surely you would throw him on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Very enjoyable 0-0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Portugal are the dumbest team I have ever seen. It seems like Nani was just a product of his environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

This fella Ronaldo, is a cod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Expect Portugal to still get through.

Yup, on paper they should beat Hungary but the same is true for Austria and Iceland. Its a very weak group - real shame Ireland wasn't drawn here instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is Sanches injured?? Surely you would throw him on?

Nah, the coach is just pissed everyone is criticising Wilmots more than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

because he was standing offside facing both the lineman and the crosser of the static ball.

It was a set piece, there was no 'fast' play to be caught put by.

He was just standing 2 yards behind the defenders.... like a big oily statue to ineptitude.

RVN made a living out of that very same move, you clearly havent a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'd say Hungary are the happiest team tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ronaldo just cant produce at these major tournaments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

This fella Ronaldo, is a cod.

I was waiting for you to come out of your shell...fish. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'd say it's killing Ronaldo to stay on the pitch and shake hands but he knew he had to after how he behaved when the final whistle went against Iceland the last day and the cameras were on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Entertaining 0-0.

Still fancy Portugal to go through but if Ronaldo doesn't find his shooting boots soon they are in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sand wrote: »
    Yup, on paper they should beat Hungary but the same is true for Austria and Iceland. Its a very weak group - real shame Ireland wasn't drawn here instead.

This group or in with France both weaker groups that the one Ireland are in.

A 43 year old Pauleta would be a major asset to Portugal

ricero wrote: »

Neither can Zlatan or Rooney.

They can score bags of goals in their leagues but at major international tournaments, they no-show.

sligeach wrote: »
    I'd say it's killing Ronaldo to stay on the pitch and shake hands but he knew he had to after how he behaved when the final whistle went against Iceland.

He is a very bad loser, and a pretty bad winner too but he is at the absolute peak of his profession. You don't get to that level by being a nice guy and without being driven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I agree with Richie about Stephen Alkin's remark after he missed the penalty... "The arrogance of the man". What was his justification for that remark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

A 43 year old Pauleta would be a major asset to Portugal

I was hoping Nuno Gomes was going to come on, but I think today is pension day in Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ricero wrote: »

Are we ignoring the last Euros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Neither can Zlatan or Rooney.

They can score bags of goals in their leagues but at major international tournaments, they no-show.

Rooney can't do either of those things.

Zlatan; it remains to be seen if he can do it at a higher standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

He is a very bad loser, and a pretty bad winner too but he is at the absolute peak of his profession. You don't get to that level by being a nice guy and without being driven.

Peak? That was about 2 years ago.

I wonder what Austrian billionaire paid him off for failing to score tonight though...

Are we ignoring the last Euros?

Is love blind?

Rooney can't do either of those things.

Zlatan; it remains to be seen if he can do it at a higher standard.

I'm no fan of Rooney or Utd, but 178 league goals for Utd would say he can.

Zlatan is 35 so if he hasn't done it by now, he won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't get why everyone's jumping on and criticising Ronaldo.

He was Portugal's best player tonight and missing a penalty is just something that can happen in football and does not really reflect the quality of a player.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Peak? That was about 2 years ago.

I wonder what Austrian billionaire paid him off for failing to score tonight though...

51 goals in 48 la liga and CL games in the season just finished. I don't think he is going to get any better, but hes not in decline yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'm talking their current selves. Both have done it earlier in their careers no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I still think that penalty attempt was a disguised pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Ronaldo and Zlatan, arguably the two biggest names at these Euros have had complete stinkers so far. Serves them right for being stuck up their own arses 24/7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Rooney is also record England goalscorer but his prolific goal scoring days for club and country are well in the past

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Iniesta seems to be okay. This is a cope, you don't need to be a **** to be a top player, Xavi is another one, Mueller etc, all the best European players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

In fairness, Zlatan has spent the majority of his international career surrounded by journeyman players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Ronaldo and Zlatan, arguably the two biggest names at these Euros have had complete stinkers so far. Serves them right for being stuck up their own arses 24/7.

Tbf, Muller, Pogba, Alaba and Bale (despite the goals) have been anonymous too.

Hard to have any sympathy for Ronaldo after his Iceland comments.

Would have bet the house on him scoring that pen.

Also, how the hell is he kept on free kicks :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,206 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Portugal have 49 shots over the 2 games and only scored once. That says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

He was Portugal's best player tonight and missing a penalty is just something that can happen in football and does not really reflect the quality of a player.

Yeah, was fun though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

They used to say that was Andy Cole 1 in 5, and slate him. Now Ronny is in the same position, and he gets 1 in 25. Still class apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I think its more satisfaction that he had such poor luck as he acted a total dick after the Iceland game and deserved everything he got tonight

Mec27 wrote: »
    Iniesta seems to be okay. This is a cope, you don't need to be a **** to be a top player, Xavi is another one, Mueller etc, all the best European players.

Iniesta and Xavi have massive suspicions about their off-field activities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

I agree with Richie about Stephen Alkin's remark after he missed the penalty... "The arrogance of the man". What was his justification for that remark.

Because its a sad thing Irish people do to people better than them, it makes people feel better to put people down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Well jusy saw portugal only drew and ronaldo missed a penalty, I would say it has definitely cheered me up after ireland today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Because its a sad thing Irish people do to people better than them, it makes people feel better to put people down

Im pretty sure its the universal attitude to Ronaldo by certain fan bases, English, Spanish etc.
    I personally think he is a phenonemon and its arrogance, personal ambition and obsession to be the best and ego, that makes jim such. There are times when I have to shake my head though. His anger when Nani nicked that goal off him was a bit ott and his over elaborate celebration after making it 4-1 against Atletico in 2014 after not even celebrating when Bale had made it 2-1!!

Its what makes him the player he is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Im pretty sure its the universal attitude to Ronaldo by certain fan bases, English, Spanish etc.
    I personally think he is a phenonemon and its arrogance, personal ambition and obsession to be the best and ego, that makes jim such. There are times when I have to shake my head though. His anger when Nani nicked that goal off him was a bit ott and his over elaborate celebration after making it 4-1 against Atletico in 2014 after not even celebrating when Bale had made it 2-1!!

Its what makes him the player he is though.

It's also what makes him a pri*k so it works both ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Is he actually popular in portugal?? are do people look upon him as a self centred twat like the rest of us??

fryup wrote: »
    Is he actually popular in portugal?? are do people look upon him as a self centred twat like the rest of us??

I look upon him as a brilliant player.

Whether he is arrogant is irrelevant. And a commentator has no business going there, even less using it to rejoice in a mistake. If greats like Best or Gazza were still playing, would Alkin bring in their off field antics like drinking or domestic violence?

Advertisement