Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing with LED bulbs

• 18-06-2016 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I'm planning on replacing old fashioned high wattage bulbs with new LED, can anyone recommend a good place to get them?

Are there still issues with flickering and proper warm white colour?

Thanks!

2016-06-18+19.51.27.jpg
    z2null7yn

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

These guys have a good selection of LED's http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/
    I know someone who used them and is very happy. They say that you should use protected Led bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

So I found some lights in the garage, which might work.

This first one is an Ikea kitchen light without the transformer, its 12v DC and only draws .5w. Not sure if its protected or not.

Second one is a lidl kitchen strip light with plug in transformer. I was just going to wire it up directly to 12v to replace an existing light.

what do you think?

2016_07_08_08_09_31.jpg
    2016_07_08_08_10_56.jpg

2016_07_08_08_11_50.jpg

2016-07-08+08.12.03.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep they should work fine. Lidl have a rope light and a solar light this week might be worth a look.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=830

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

This first one is an Ikea kitchen light without the transformer, its 12v DC and only draws .5w. Not sure if its protected or not.

Second one is a lidl kitchen strip light with plug in transformer. I was just going to wire it up directly to 12v to replace an existing light.

what do you think?

2016_07_08_08_09_31.jpg
    2016_07_08_08_10_56.jpg

2016_07_08_08_11_50.jpg

2016-07-08+08.12.03.jpg

Give them a go sure but the easiest way is just to replace the bulbs.

I have used http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/boat-lighting before and found them good but you can get all of these things from the likes of aliexpress for much much cheaper if you're prepared to wait a month or so for them to come from china. I've not noticed any difference in terms of quality and I've put them into my dad's boat, a caravan and my campervan.

You could also look at COB LED panels which fit inside your existing light fittings, there's a range of adaptors available and they give off amazing light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

what do you think?

LEDs are not the same as "normal" bulbs in that the voltage drop across the load is completely different. It's all very technical, but it normally means that a led needs a resistor in series with the bulb at the very least.

You may have a problems removing the "transformer" as

- It's labelled a LED driver, it may have built in resistance or it may be a constant current device that matches the LED bulbs. In either of these cases the probable outcome of connecting directly to 12v will be to burn out the bulbs.

- Even if it's a constant voltage 12v DC, LED bulbs can be far less tolerant to over-voltage situations, which on a boat with an alternator running or indeed a mains charger you'll be looking at a voltage of 14v-15v. which for an incandescent "12v" bulb is nothing, but because of the way diodes work could cause much more current to go through the bulbs, blowing them or dramatically reducing their life.

Many LED systems for 12v actually have voltage or current regulators built in that means the lights will work happily between 11v and 16v, because internally it's converting the external voltage to what's needed by the bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

pH wrote: »
    LEDs are not the same as "normal" bulbs in that the voltage drop across the load is completely different. It's all very technical, but it normally means that a led needs a resistor in series with the bulb at the very least.

You may have a problems removing the "transformer" as

- It's labelled a LED driver, it may have built in resistance or it may be a constant current device that matches the LED bulbs. In either of these cases the probable outcome of connecting directly to 12v will be to burn out the bulbs.

- Even if it's a constant voltage 12v DC, LED bulbs can be far less tolerant to over-voltage situations, which on a boat with an alternator running or indeed a mains charger you'll be looking at a voltage of 14v-15v. which for an incandescent "12v" bulb is nothing, but because of the way diodes work could cause much more current to go through the bulbs, blowing them or dramatically reducing their life.

Many LED systems for 12v actually have voltage or current regulators built in that means the lights will work happily between 11v and 16v, because internally it's converting the external voltage to what's needed by the bulbs.

One of these yokes could sort the voltage problem, though I havnt tried one

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/5A-Auto-DC-DC-Constant-Current-Boost-Buck-Converter-Voltage-Regulator-Module-12V-/181874004801?hash=item2a58891341:g:5B8AAOSwuTxV-wxh

Tis unlikely there is a series resistor in that power supply, but if there is the giveaway would be the light burning unusually bright off another 12v regulated power supply

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

What about road vehicle lighting such as cars, campers etc. Are these better able to handle the voltage changes on a boat?

I'm looking at these (or similiar ones) as external lights for area around a few steps, the voltage is rated as 10/30 volts....

http://www.247lighting.net/products/number-plate-lamp-p-473.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

What about road vehicle lighting such as cars, campers etc. Are these better able to handle the voltage changes on a boat?

I'm looking at these (or similiar ones) as external lights for area around a few steps, the voltage is rated as 10/30 volts....

http://www.247lighting.net/products/number-plate-lamp-p-473.html

Aye, they would be alright. Those led replacement bulbs for car interior lighting should work a treat too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

We soldered in strip LEDs into most of my boats light fittings, the kind you find cheap on eBay and can cut to custom lengths. With just two or three in each fitting they're bright enough even on the 12v power, 24v and it's daylight! One thing though definitely go for the warmer white shades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

All LED
    The outside are truck parking lights

Advertisement