Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ev, hybrid or diesel

• 18-06-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭

Hi. long time admirer of hybrids and Ev ( Ive picked Mad Lads brains before), even though I've never driven either. Have treatened to buy one or the other in the last few years, but our currents older cars have just kept going. I had a really old 323 for running around which had to be scrapped due to rust, but replaced it with an 1999 Avensis which I got for a few hundred from a relative. We also have a vw golf 1.4 which has now covered 190000 miles pretty much trouble free. I know the Golf is worth little at this stage and probably won't last to many more miles. My mileage is quite low, probably less than 10000 miles per year, but my wife does about 20000 miles per year. So looking at replacing her car. Of course a diesel is the obvious option, but wondering if I should be looking at a prius or skip hybrid and look at a leaf instead. Most runs are about 10 mile each way trips on country or b roads.We live in a rural so would mean mostly home charging as not many street chargers up here. Your advice is most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭gooner99

10k - 15k max. so second hand. had a lend of a diesel van for a while. i enjoyed the fuel economy and the power, buy bloody hell the engine rattle would drive you mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

What would be the total daily commute? An EV will be perfect for anything less than 110km.
    For 15 500 you could get a great 151 Leaf, very low mileage on DoneDeal. If not, there are a good few worth to look at.

peposhi wrote: »
    What would be the total daily commute? An EV will be perfect for anything less than 110km.
    For 15 500 you could get a great 151 Leaf, very low mileage on DoneDeal. If not, there are a good few worth to look at.

Daily mileage would be approx 40km. some days 60kms bringing the the kids to evening training/classes. Weekend trip to visit relatives would be 80kms one way, which is usually overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

gooner99 wrote: »
    Daily mileage would be approx 40km. some day 60kms if bringing the the kids to evening training/classes. Weekend trip to visit relatives would be 80kms one way, which is usually overnight.
    you sound perfect case for an EV.

• Advertisement

Cheers all.Must get a decent test drive in a leaf.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Cheers all.Must get a decent test drive in a leaf.

I wouldn't, because you will absolutely want one !!! :D

Leaf 24 kwh is perfect for 200-220 kms range with a 20-25 min fast charge at 100-105 Kph , Or a 1.5 hr charge with the 6.6 Kw charger ,which is highly advisable if you can find one 2nd hand.

I wouldn't, because you will absolutely want one !!! :D

Leaf 24 kwh is perfect for 200-220 kms range with a 20-25 min fast charge at 100-105 Kph , Or a 1.5 hr charge with the 6.6 Kw charger ,which is highly advisable if you can find one 2nd hand.

Are you sure?

Ok, today I drove to Waterford Hospital which is a 200 km round trip, 18 Kwh/100 kms or 18.5 can't exactly remember, Charged twice, today was pretty windy. Drove at 110 Kph the whole way there and back. When carwings updates I will get the exact Kwh consumed.

Left home with 100% , got to Knocktopher with about 40%, charged to 85%, got to the Hospital and back to knocktopher with 22% and charged up to 85% and back home with 30%.

I would say total charge time was around 50 mins but I did stay longer than I needed to on the way home. Could have got away with 30-40 mins total but it's better to get back with some in the tank just in case and better for the battery too.

Waterford has no AC points near the hospital, they're Concentrated around the City centre. The DC point is at the far end of the City and no good to me which is why I charged on the way down and on the way back at Knocktopher.

AC points really cut the time needed to wait at fast chargers, and especially having the 6.6 Kw charger.

The 30 Kwh would be a lot faster at the fast charger, same charge times to 80% but the battery is larger.

My apologies, I was thinking you said you got 220 from one charge duh

• Advertisement

Scottie99 wrote: »
    My apologies, I was thinking you said you got 220 from one charge duh

I wish lol.

So Carwings is updated

I consumed 36 Kwh to drive 200 kms at 110 Kph and whatever driving off the Motorway to get to Waterford hospital and back to the motorway.

18.2 Kwh/100 kms.

So 40 Kwh would do a comfortable 200 kms with some to spare which is always wise to leave some spare or for a bit faster travel perhaps 120 kph but in reality the difference between 110-120 kph is not much at all.

18.2 Kwh/100 kms would give you 220 kms range from 40 Kwh but as always that will vary depending on driving style, speed, weather conditions , terrain etc.

At 18.2 Kwh/100 kms if Leaf II does indeed have a 60 Kwh battery or optional 60 kwh that would give a real world range of 301 Kms with 55 Kwh usable which is a guess as to the usable but if it has 60 Kwh it wouldn't use all of it.

So in the 24 Kwh with 21 usable would give a range to empty of 115 kms so say 110 kms you'd want to be pretty close to a charge point.

The 30 Kwh Leaf would give 153 kms at 18.2 Kwh/100 kms.

With my 200 kms trip yesterday, if I had the 30 Kwh , I would have needed just 8 Kwh of juice or say 10-12 to do the trip comfortably with some to spare. And the 30 Kwh charges a lot faster.

Advertisement