Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Custom Fitting

Options
  • 18-06-2016 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi Gys

I took up golf late enough and just bought second hand clubs ( regular titleist cavity back irons. 19.5 degree regulaR Ping driver etc
    Just got one or two lessons

Feeling now that in my 3 years playing I have never improved, though people say my swing is good .
    My gut feeling is that I need to be fitted for clubs...i am just over 6 ft,,Thinking of Foregolf and no problem paying the 100 for analysis.

But if I go with them, and they recommend some clubs/shafts etc do I have to go with them? will they say ,,,yes you need for example Mizuno regular whatever or will they keep that to themselves so I cant buy secon hand somewhere else? how much info will they give me? Or would i just be better going to Mc Guirks / Halpenny? Sorry for being so long windrd... just cant afford to pay huge amount for custom fitted clubs...Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

I think the main reason you haven't improved over three years is because you have only taken one or two lessons. You would be better off spending your money on more lessons and then practicing what the pro gives you to work on. While having a lesson ask the pro if they think your clubs are hindering your improvement and if so, then look at getting some custom fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

dennyire wrote: »
    Hi Gys

I took up golf late enough and just bought second hand clubs ( regular titleist cavity back irons. 19.5 degree regulaR Ping driver etc

Feeling now that in my 3 years playing I have never improved, though people say my swing is good .
    My gut feeling is that I need to be fitted for clubs...i am just over 6 ft,,Thinking of Foregolf and no problem paying the 100 for analysis.

But if I go with them, and they recommend some clubs/shafts etc do I have to go with them? will they say ,,,yes you need for example Mizuno regular whatever or will they keep that to themselves so I cant buy secon hand somewhere else? how much info will they give me? Or would i just be better going to Mc Guirks / Halpenny? Sorry for being so long windrd... just cant afford to pay huge amount for custom fitted clubs...Thanks..

They will tell you what shaft/club combo they recommend, but they don't tell you your specs for length lie etc. Saying that I never asked for them so maybe if you ask they might give them to you. I found them very good to deal with and the experience as a whole was fantastic.

Edit: in my experience they are slighltly more expensive than going to the likes of McGuirks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

dennyire wrote: »
    Hi Gys

Foregolf will not give you your specs after a fitting so you'd be better going elsewhere. Slightly confused though as what is the likelihood of you finding your exact specs 2nd hand?

If you're just trying to find out if you should be regular or stiff shaft etc then McGuirks/Halpenny would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Foregolf will not give you your specs after a fitting so you'd be better going elsewhere. Slightly confused though as what is the likelihood of you finding your exact specs 2nd hand?

If you're just trying to find out if you should be regular or stiff shaft etc then McGuirks/Halpenny would be fine

I've never had Custom fit, can you tell me what they measure and can my local store/Pro measure me....?

I read about foregolf and they look great, but wondering if it's worth the 3 hour drive vs my local golf store that say they can do it. (They have one of those screens that pulls up all your numbers when you swing).

Can anyone advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ctlsleh wrote:
    I've never had Custom fit, can you tell me what they measure and can my local store/Pro measure me....?
    It measures swing speed, club head speed, launch angle, carry, roll - that sort of thing.
    ctlsleh wrote:
    I read about foregolf and they look great, but wondering if it's worth the 3 hour drive vs my local golf store that say they can do it. (They have one of those screens that pulls up all your numbers when you swing).

If you trust the local shop to interpret the data and give you honest recommendations then that should be OK for the average player. Everyone has access to much the same measuring equipment. Its how they use it that matters.

Pro golf are excellent but if you have a good local shop I'd start there. When you get their recommendations, maybe run them past the pro in your own club for comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

First Up wrote: »
    It measures swing speed, club head speed, launch angle, carry, roll - that sort of thing.

If you trust the local shop to interpret the data and give you honest recommendations then that should be OK for the average player. Everyone has access to much the same measuring equipment. Its how they use it that matters.

Pro golf are excellent but if you have a good local shop I'd start there. When you get their recommendations, maybe run them past the pro in your own club for comment.

Thanks for the reply.........I'm going to take some lessons from the Pro who owns the shop, so I think it should be ok. what's your view on McGuirks/Halpenny/American golf for fitting by comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.........I'm going to take some lessons from the Pro who owns the shop, so I think it should be ok. what's your view on McGuirks/Halpenny/American golf for fitting by comparison?

I would always recommend lessons but for swing analysis and proper fitting you need the technology. A session with McGuirks or any of the others won't hurt but your club pro should have a reasonable idea of your potential based on what he sees.

A lot depends on your current and potential level. If you are new to the game, I would wait a bit and see how your swing develops (under instruction) before buying. But if you are playing for years at a certain level, new clubs won't transform you. There's other factors - age, flexibility etc to be taken into account.

It doesn't have to be either/or but your club pro is probably the right place to start..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

If you go to Foregolf can you just pay for a fitting or is there always an expectation to buy?
    If so, what would you expect to pay for a session?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

BraveDonut wrote: »
    If you go to Foregolf can you just pay for a fitting or is there always an expectation to buy?
    If so, what would you expect to pay for a session?

Thanks

I'm booked in for my second fitting (first one was 2010) on Wednesday week. It's €50 for a half hour and €100 for an hour. The half hour would be for one club like a driver or irons and the hour for the whole bag. As far as I know there is absolutely no obligation to buy.

Check out their website, the whole thing is as professional and as courteous as you can get. The best money you will spend in golf, in my experience anyway.

I cannot wait to get my new irons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thanks - very helpful.

The reason that I ask is that I was a bit disappointed with the process when my club pro fit me for irons.
    I kinda want to get a second opinion to be fit for a driver.

My feeling is that I am quite standard for all/most settings and can just take a recommendation to buy off the shelf or online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I would recommend booking yourself in and let them make the call. I've heard of plenty of guys that have just been given a different shaft in their old driver etc.

They will fit the person first and foremost. Best in the business by miles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Another vote for Foregolf, I got driver, 3 wood and two hybrids there and from memory they were something like ten to fifteen euro more expensive than the likes of McGuirks but the McGuirks pricing were stock shafts, nowhere could I get the shafts and heads cheaper, very enjoyable hour or so and zero pressure to purchase

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭justcallmemoses

Has anybody used Golf Studio in Celbridge?
    Looking to get a shaft for my driver.

Currently playing regular flex but losing shots to the left, more so when I go after one.

2016 M2 10.5 Fujikura Pro 50 regular

My irons are KBS 90 stiff and have no issues going left, slight draw.

Moving to Fujikura Pro 60 stiff suffice or will I benefit from custom fit? 10 handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭kod12

Has anybody used Golf Studio in Celbridge?
    Looking to get a shaft for my driver.

Currently playing regular flex but losing shots to the left, more so when I go after one.

2016 M2 10.5 Fujikura Pro 50 regular

My irons are KBS 90 stiff and have no issues going left, slight draw.

Moving to Fujikura Pro 60 stiff suffice or will I benefit from custom fit? 10 handicap

I got my full set of irons Lengthened, Loft adjusted and new grips in golf studio couldn't recommend them enough they done a great job and quick too

Advertisement