Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4wd needed for double axle trailer?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

From the RSA Site (with due thanks to Cinio);

The cargo compartment of the trailer must consist of a
    permanent, closed box body which is at least as wide and as high as the
    motor vehicle, and at least 2.4 metres long. The closed box body may be
    slightly less wide than the motor vehicle.

Gotta love officialdom in this Country. "It must be x....but y will do.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Garbally

I have done a lot of research into this lately, and have even contacted the RSA a couple of times over the last few days. Even the RSA seem to be confused!

The RSA advised me over the phone that I can tow any trailer with my B licence provided that the weight of the car and trailer (if weighed) are below 3,500kg. Therefore, I could tow an empty double horsebox (900kg) with my car (towing capacity 1,600kg).

I emailed after the first call to confirm this, and I got back the standard response about the 3,500kg limit includes the DGCW of both vehicles. I called again, and was again assured the 3,500kg related to the actual weight of the car and trailer on the spot. I pointed out that I felt his email contradicted this, but the shutters came down then.

I sent in another email, so let's see where that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,626 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Garbally wrote: »
    I have done a lot of research into this lately, and have even contacted the RSA a couple of times over the last few days. Even the RSA seem to be confused!

The RSA advised me over the phone that I can tow any trailer with my B licence provided that the weight of the car and trailer (if weighed) are below 3,500kg. Therefore, I could tow an empty double horsebox (900kg) with my car (towing capacity 1,600kg).

I emailed after the first call to confirm this, and I got back the standard response about the 3,500kg limit includes the DGCW of both vehicles. I called again, and was again assured the 3,500kg related to the actual weight of the car and trailer on the spot. I pointed out that I felt his email contradicted this, but the shutters came down then.

Email is right and whoever you spoke to is wrong.
    It's the Designed weight not actual, it's written all over the regulations DGVW.

I went through same with RSA and Guards few years ago when I was buying my caravan and got it clarified by RSA, there is a lot of confusion out there but ignorance of the law is no offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Garbally wrote: »

As you see asking them is pointless as they don't seem too knowledgeable.

However law is clear and relates to dgvw not actual weight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

_Brian wrote: »
    there is a lot of confusion out there but ignorance of the law is no offence.

Even if the authorities themselves appear to be half ignorant of it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

One should not accept links off the rsa website as law.

What are the RSA? An NGO or a Quango?

Can you ask God Jesus?

Not even he understands the RSA

• Advertisement

Ok Jesus thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jesus. wrote: »
    What are the RSA? An NGO or a Quango?
    Probably a QUANGO i.e.

Quasi-Autonamous Non-Governmental Organisation

or else, a Statutory Body.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Too much inaccurate information here

1. Toyotas are full time 4wd, one of the few remaining.
    Most others are running part time systems. 2wd on the road. Some of the Land Rover stuff is electronic

2. 90 & 120 series landcruiser (1998-2010) - are 2800kg rated - based on gross plated weight of the vehicle at 2850kg - believed an error of judgement on Toyotas part in engineers circles. They are certainly capable of more than that, but not legally.

3. Very few vehicles are actually 3.5 ton rated. Discovery/Defender and Range Rover are, as is the Landcruiser Amazon/200 and 3.2 Pajero. Some of the newer pickups too. 3.5 ton mini diggers are out for anything less than a truck. 1.5 ton digger and cattlebox are both going to come in under 3 ton (unless you wedge 6 bullocks in there)

4. 4x4 has nothing whatsoever to do with towing capacity. It just so happens that the majority of B license vehicles with higher towing capacity are 4wd.

5.OP please do a search here, or go onto the RSA site for the correct information instead of the "I heard that on the 3rd full moon of the second month you can tow a trailer without any licence" stuff.

Sorry just had to clear that up.

And just to be awkward, some 110 Defenders with factory fitted heavy duty suspension had a towing capacity greater than 3.5t, I think it was 4.

The heavy duty kit from LR, afaik was the clutch and rear springs off the Defender 130.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

tcow wrote: »
    Hi

I know there are some old posts on this, but I cant find more recent ones.

Wondering, do I need a 4wd to tow a double axle trailer/cow box?? Won't be pulling anything jeavye, like a digger or anything. Just small stuff, amf maybe a cow or few calves.

Iv got a B , B1 licence only.

Why do you think 4wd increases towing capacity?

Advertisement