Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMERGENCY - Debit Card blocked when abroad

Options
  • 19-06-2016 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am a student working and staying in Canada for the summer. Last week I withdrew 100$ from a Novia Scotia atm in 7/11. I forgot to fill out the forms online to inform BOI I would be using my card abroad. When I went to transfer cash from my irish current account to my Novia Scotia account in the bank the other day, my card was declined. I tried again and it happened again. Although this money was still withdrawn from my Irish account. My two problems are, I only have 10 dollars left, which means i cant afford to buy credit to make a call home to bank of Ireland, and also I cannot access my account. The time differences from here and at home are also a huge impracticality as when I wake up in the mornings it is already 5pm at home. I really really need to have this problem fixed ASAP. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

reesha wrote: »
    I am a student working and staying in Canada for the summer. Last week I withdrew 100$ from a Novia Scotia atm in 7/11. I forgot to fill out the forms online to inform BOI I would be using my card abroad. When I went to transfer cash from my irish current account to my Novia Scotia account in the bank the other day, my card was declined. I tried again and it happened again. Although this money was still withdrawn from my Irish account. My two problems are, I only have 10 dollars left, which means i cant afford to buy credit to make a call home to bank of Ireland, and also I cannot access my account. The time differences from here and at home are also a huge impracticality as when I wake up in the mornings it is already 5pm at home. I really really need to have this problem fixed ASAP. 

Your most likely not going to get a response here till Monday. The only thing I can suggest is perhaps phone from Skype? +353 567 757 007 that's the number and it's treated as a national call so will be cheap on Skype. Should get through quick enough too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

reesha wrote: »
    Hi reesha,

Thank you for contacting us on Boards.

There are lower daily limits when using your Visa Debit card abroad so we would first advise you to try withdrawing a smaller amount at an ATM. Just to mention your card should still work at a point of sale in a shop or online once you reach this daily ATM limit. 
    If you continue to have difficulties using your card, please call our international number on +3531 4044000 for a representative with account access to look into this for you. Alternatively you can query this on 365 Online through the Online Service Desk and the "Ask a Question" option. 

Thanks,

Sarah

Advertisement