Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does my electricity bill have two readings?

Options
  • 19-06-2016 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

I just received my first electricity bill in my new house and I have attached an image which I was wondering if someone could kindly help me understand. There are two readings and they overlap. It makes no sense to me.

The reading we have when we moved in is 25262

thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Electric Ireland? Estimated usage before and after the price cut. No image showing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

L1011 wrote: »
    Electric Ireland? Estimated usage before and after the price cut. No image showing for me.

it is there now, how do you mean they estimated the usage? They have a reading when we moved in and they took a reading when they issued the bill. So why is an estimate reading there as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They changed price mid billing period so done it at the old rate and some at the new rate.
    You can see that 298 units are at the lower price

ted1 wrote: »
    They changed price mid billing period so done it at the old rate and some at the new rate.
    You can see that 298 units are at the lower price

Thanks Ted but I just don't understand. The reading now is 26433 and the reading when we moved in was 25262. That is stipulated on the second line and gives us a total of 1171 units used. So don't understand where the other usage of 298 units comes from.

armabelle wrote: »
    Thanks Ted but I just don't understand. The reading now is 26433 and the reading when we moved in was 25262. That is stipulated on the second line and gives us a total of 1171 units used. So don't understand where the other usage of 298 units comes from.
    At the bottom it says it replaced a previous bill. You might have to dig that out and see what they did.

Also the usage is pretty high

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    At the bottom it says it replaced a previous bill. You might have to dig that out and see what they did.

Also the usage is pretty high

let me see... if the meter showed a reading of 25262 when we moved in and it shows 26433 now and both are stipulated on the bill then how could there be another bill? And how could we be charged and additional 298 units of usage? Where could those come from?

It reads as though total units used is 1171 and 298 units at new price but I'm not sure why the full charge for all 1171 and new rate for the 298.

I'd have thought it should be 873 at old rate and 298 at new rate.

thank you for taking the time to read that and yes, you are right. Here comes another problem with Electric Ireland in the space of 3 months! I wonder if that really just be a coincidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The two rows are for a price change:
    . Actual readings are indicated by an ‘a’ following your reading, estimated readings are indicated by an ‘e’, customer readings are indicated by a ‘c’ and price changes are indicated with a 'p'.

Would they have included a final usage set for the old.premises? Were you with them for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Perhaps the crowd in "Talk to ... Electric Ireland" might be able to explain what's what?

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1349

ED E wrote: »
    The two rows are for a price change:

Would they have included a final usage set for the old.premises? Were you with them for both?

Yes we were with them but then cancelled the account (long story)

the point is that there is a meter reading there and a meter number with charges that apply to that meter number

also, price change does not explain a mysterious addition of 298 units used

• Advertisement

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    Perhaps the crowd in "Talk to ... Electric Ireland" might be able to explain what's what?

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1349

thanks, I thought there was an obvious answer to this but it seems people really don't know the answer so I will get in touch with EI.

thank you

my advice to other people who use EI: watch out for this! We have had to problems with them in 3 months. Always analyze your bill!

let me see... if the meter showed a reading of 25262 when we moved in and it shows 26433 now and both are stipulated on the bill then how could there be another bill? And how could we be charged and additional 298 units of usage? Where could those come from?

At the bottom of the billing says it replaces another bill, units may have been carried, we don't have all the details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you look at the charge @.1609 it works out at 873 units with 298 at the new lower rate. Totalling 1178 units.

1178x.1609 is not 140.07. But 873x.1609=140.01
    It's perfectly correct is badly put

If you look at the charge @.1609 it works out at 873 units with 298 at the new lower rate. Totalling 1178 units.

1178x.1609 is not 140.07. But 873x.1609=140.01
    It's perfectly correct is badly put

what are you on about mate?

I called EI and the customer services human also didn't know what was wrong with the bill. Seems like an error. I am weary of errors on bills that charge too much as hardly ever do you find ones that charge too little. I will be paying the amended charge and moving over to a different provider. I have had two problems with EI this year so far and both have really been enough to put me off using their services from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

he's saying that while the make up of the bill is all over the place, that the units being multiplied by the old rate is not 1171 but 873 units (873 * 0.1609 = 140.47) and 298 units at the new rate (298 * 0.1513 = 45.09).

So you're only being charged for 1171 units which is correct.

I would still contact EI and ask them why the bill is so confusing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Look at the charges and do the maths. You have been charged the correct number of units split across the two rates.

It's 100% correct but badly expressed on the bill?

Look at the charges and do the maths. You have been charged the correct number of units split across the two rates.

It's 100% correct but badly expressed on the bill?

badly expressed alright, well I guess if you are right then they will get back to me with a clearly expressed one

thanks for your brain power

he's saying that while the make up of the bill is all over the place, that the units being multiplied by the old rate is not 1171 but 873 units (873 * 0.1609 = 140.47) and 298 units at the new rate (298 * 0.1513 = 45.09).

So you're only being charged for 1171 units which is correct.

I would still contact EI and ask them why the bill is so confusing though.

I think I get it.... but why WHY FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

What do you mean, you "think" you get it?

You curtly kept repeating your question as where did the "extra" 298 units come from. You've been shown that there is no "extra" 298 units, you've been charged for the number of units you yourself reckoned you should be charged for. I don't "think" you could be given a much clearer explanation, what is there to think about?

As for why the bill is poorly laid out, that's a fair point, but I think it's time to move on with your life... ;)

• Advertisement

What do you mean, you "think" you get it?

You curtly kept repeating your question as where did the "extra" 298 units come from.

No, my question now was why on earth would a bill be so confusing? Why would people on this thread all be confused and EI staff themselves?

that was my question and that is a different question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

No, my question now was why on earth would a bill be so confusing? Why would people on this thread all be confused and EI staff themselves?

that was my question and that is a different question

With respect, that wasn't your question - here's your question (s):
    the point is that there is a meter reading there and a meter number with charges that apply to that meter number

also, price change does not explain a mysterious addition of 298 units used

Then when Srameen was kind enough to do the arithmetic exercise that you didn't take time to do before getting in a tizzy over an "extra" 298 units that don't exist, your response was:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Then when Srameen was kind enough to do the arithmetic exercise that you didn't take time to do before getting in a tizzy over an "extra" 298 units that don't exist, your response was:

In fairness, if EI couldn't understand their own bill, they could hardly expect a customer to

with respect, this was the question I was referring to, the question which was asked after the response was given which solved the initial question.

Advertisement