Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of rented flat - How much notice should I give?

Options
  • 19-06-2016 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭

I've been renting this place for almost 2 years. The original lease duration was 12 months and since that ended we've continued as normal on a periodic tenancy (month to month) on the same terms as the original lease

From googling, I understand that in this situation legally I am only obligated to give a month's notice to the landlord but since I have found a new place and agreed a move in date (Mid-August) this poses two options that I could use some help with

Do I :

(a) Let the landlord know now (2 month's notice) so as to help him out by giving him the most possible time to find new tenants

or

(b) Wait until I'm a month from moving to let him know because in our current tenancy state I know that he can choose to end our agreement on a month's notice and this way I don't end up screwing myself over by telling him too early and exposing myself to potentially being kicked out before my new place is ready

I should point out that I don't have any kind of rapport (good nor bad) with this landlord. I just pay the rent and we don't see/contact each other. I'd say we've spoken 3 times in the 2 years I've been here. So I feel no personal reason to help him out but conscious that from his POV he may have no personal reason to not serve me 1 month's notice as soon as I tell him

I'm probably over thinking this but haven't done this before so any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

x43r0 wrote: »
    I've been renting this place for almost 2 years. The original lease duration was 12 months and since that ended we've continued as normal on a periodic tenancy (month to month) on the same terms as the original lease

From googling, I understand that in this situation legally I am only obligated to give a month's notice to the landlord but since I have found a new place and agreed a move in date (Mid-August) this poses two options that I could use some help with

Do I :

(a) Let the landlord know now (2 month's notice) so as to help him out by giving him the most possible time to find new tenants

or

(b) Wait until I'm a month from moving to let him know because in our current tenancy state I know that he can choose to end our agreement on a month's notice and this way I don't end up screwing myself over by telling him too early and exposing myself to potentially being kicked out before my new place is ready

I should point out that I don't have any kind of rapport (good nor bad) with this landlord. I just pay the rent and we don't see/contact each other. I'd say we've spoken 3 times in the 2 years I've been here. So I feel no personal reason to help him out but conscious that from his POV he may have no personal reason to not serve me 1 month's notice as soon as I tell him

I'm probably over thinking this but haven't done this before so any advice would be much appreciated

Less than 2 years it's 42 days, more than 2 it's 56 days..those are the minimum under a part iv tenancy which you are on. Same would apply to landlord if he were giving you notice. Whether you give more is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Just give notice now, you already know you're moving, you might as well give the landlord as much time as possible. And yes it's 6 weeks notice, http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Cheers all

I ended up biting the bullet and just giving him a call. He was very grateful for the extra notice

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I believe you should confirm your Notice of termination in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I believe you should confirm your Notice of termination in writing.

You are right - I have since emailed him to confirm and he has accepted via reply

Thanks all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement