Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwarranted Ban from Transgender Thread/After Hours

Options
  • 19-06-2016 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭

I wish to appeal a week long ban from After Hours. I've been accused of Trolling and/or "dragging" another poster into the thread ......... I'm not guilty of Trolling and the "dragging" accusation is just bizarre as the poster was/is already heavily involved in the thread/debate.

I have PM'd the Cmod who issued the ban who, whilst polite, has refused to reconsider his position in this case.

My Post:
    Well yourself, jobbridge4life and joeytheparrot seem attracted to my posts so .......... maybe you have a point!
    which was in response to bodice ripper's post:
    Perhaps something about you attracts eejits.

PM Exchange between myself and Cmod KERSPLAT!:

Dear MadDog76,

You have been banned from After Hours for one week for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

KERSPLAT!

Moderator Note

p=100081216 - You seem intent on dragging Joey into your spat with another poster. Don't.

My Reply:
    joeytheparrot has contributed significantly to that thread, he has engaged with myself (as well as several other posters) throughout the thread, he has referenced other contributing posters (including myself, as we all have) within the thread so I fail to see how me referencing him (a relevant poster in the thread) in one of my posts can be deemed "dragging" him into anything ......... perhaps you can reconsider your stance here? Thank you.

MadDog

Kersplat!:
    Joeys last post in the thread was near 3 days ago. As I said, you were intent on dragging him back. The ban stands.

This is your 2nd ban this year and you're lucky its only a week. Your posting for the last few pages of that thread were well below AH standard.

DRP is there if you wish to dispute

My Reply:
    Joey's last post indicated that he was not finished discussing the topics within the thread and that he would be back to continue his side of the debate ....... I'm confident that he would return at some stage as this topic is one that interests him greatly and he consistently contributes to any threads discussing the LGBT Community.

My posts in that thread are all just my opinion and, ironically, how nowadays honest opinions are not welcome when it comes to discussing the LGBT Community both in the real world as well as here on Boards ......... I think your actions here prove my point to be honest.
    None of the posts were in any way inflammatory, trolling or whatever other label/excuse you would like to use.

I will appeal this ban despite the fact that there is zero chance that a Cmod's decision, regardless of your motives for said decision, will be over-turned ........ however, for the sake of transparency, I will go ahead with the appeal.

Thank you for taking the time to at least replying to my PM.

MadDog.

Another PM From Me:
    Also, I find it curious that you didn't consider jobbridge4life's post Trolling ......... as he clearly was .......... is it a case that I'm being banned because my opinion doesn't fit-in with a pro-homosexuality agenda and that labelling me a "Troll" is an excuse to ban me? I genuinely hope not but it does look that way right now .........

Anyway, I'll await your reply. Thanks.

MadDog

KERSPLAT!'s Reply:
    I've already actioned jobsbridge4life. It can look whatever way you like for it can suit your "It's because of my opposing view" agenda, it's simply not the case.

My Reply:
    I wasn't aware of that ......... I'm not accusing you of anything, I was simply curious as to your motives for my ban as your reasons (Trolling/"dragging" a poster into a discussion that he is already involved in) don't make sense to me.
    I'm sensing hostility from you which is unwarranted as I am not attacking you on a personal level, I'm simply trying to resolve this matter with yourself in a reasonable and fair way.

Thanks, MadDog.

Kersplat!'s Reply:
    My apologies if you feel there is hostility, there was none intended.

Thanks.

And that brings me here, I feel this might be just a misunderstanding but we'll see how it goes here in DRP. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I can confirm that MadDog76 engaged with me via PM and the ban has been upheld.

Since I banned you I won't oversee the DRP, another cmod will be along to have a look but keep in mind, it is Sunday and likely won't be today.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I can confirm that MadDog76 engaged with me via PM and the ban has been upheld.

Since I banned you I won't oversee the DRP, another cmod will be along to have a look but keep in mind, it is Sunday and likely won't be today.

Cheers

No problem, it being the weekend probably explains why joeytheparrot hasn't posted either since Friday evening ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hello MadDog76,

I will look into this but it will be tomorrow evening before I have a chance to review the situation.

Mr. parrot will not be involved in this process as he is not a Mod of AH.

Take Care,

LEIN

Okay, I have read the last 5 pages of the said thread.
    I must remind you that you were not banned for one post in particular but your general conduct throughout the thread.

There is a lot in that thread so to summarise, I feel you were looking for a reaction from the LGBT community/AH posters.

You generalised the whole community with nothing to backup your statement.

First attempt to get a reaction from Joey.

Second attempt to get a reaction from Joey. This time you claim that Joey speaks for all gay people, again with absolutely nothing to back it up, even after you were called out several times on thread.
    This is were you tried to back out of your wild claim.

Third attempt to get a reaction from Joey. Other attempts have failed so you decide to make it a tad more personal. See the trend?

Here we go again.... Fourth attempt to get a reaction from Joey.

I see why Joey stopped posting in that thread, it had nothing to do with the weekend.

Apart from above, you were out for a reaction in general. Your tone with other posters was appalling also, with subtle comments to get a poster to react.

To me this is blatant trolling.

On reflection of above, I feel a one week ban is very fair considering your history and I will be upholding the original ban.

If you are willing to accept, we can move on and you will be free to post in AH in the coming days.

If you do not accept my review, I will escalate and request that an Admin review.

Thank you,

LEIN

You mean you're actually upholding a fellow Cmod's ban!?!!!???!!! :eek: Wow!!! I did not see that coming!!! Shock. Horror. :rolleyes:
    LEIN wrote: »
    Okay, I have read the last 5 pages of the said thread.
    I must remind you that you were not banned for one post in particular but your general conduct throughout the thread.

Perhaps you should have read the thread in it's entirety, as I did.
    May I remind you that I was banned for one post, specifically "dragging" mentioning joeytheparrot in one of my posts which was ridiculous as he was heavily engaged in the thread.
    My "conduct" (whatever that broad term means?) throughout the thread was respectful but it just didn't fit into the list of "acceptable" opinions allowed.
    Now you, and maybe even KERSPLAT!, can say after the fact that I was banned for x,y and z but the fact remains that I was officially banned for mentioning Joey ......... unofficially, I was banned because I didn't express my undying devotion to the LGBT Community.
    It's a common theme on DR for a Cmod to say "I need time to look at all the evidence (:D) before making my decision" but we both know the decision to uphold the ban is a foregone conclusion with time needed to somehow justify (publicly) the ban .......... hence your opening statements here ........... you can deny this of course but if it quacks and walks like a duck ........... ;).
    There is a lot in that thread so to summarise, I feel you were looking for a reaction from the LGBT community/AH posters.

True, I was ........ looking for an honest debate with discussions from individuals with opposing views to myself ......... isn't that the point of contributing to a thread? :confused:
    You generalised the whole community with nothing to backup your statement.

"That's my point .......... the LGBT Community does not welcome honest opinions when it comes to sexuality, you either embrace their lifestyle wholeheartedly and unconditionally or it's "you hate us, you're homophobic!" ......... there is no middle-ground."

How else does one describe a group/community of people without generalising? You can't be serious! :D
    That's my opinion of the LGBT Community (in general, obviously :rolleyes:) based on my experience of them ......... how am I supposed to "backup" an opinion based on personal experience? Sounds like an excuse to help justify your decision, if I'm being honest.
    First attempt to get a reaction from Joey.

"Of course it's a generalisation, it can't be anything else when talking about any group of people ............ individuals will always differ in any community but, in general, groups will tend to give off an impression based on how the majority of that group behave.

We've seen it here on this thread, with joeytheparrot .........."

We had seen it on the thread with Joey, he's no victim .......... you should have read the whole thread.
    [Second attempt to get a reaction from Joey. This time you claim that Joey speaks for all gay people, again with absolutely nothing to back it up, even after you were called out several times on thread.
    This is were you tried to back out of your wild claim.

"Exactly .......... joeytheparrot, for example."

Again, Joey was a good (probably the most relevant example on the thread) example ......... painting Joey as some kind of "victim" on this thread is just another excuse to justify upholding the ban as far as I can see .........

Third attempt to get a reaction from Joey. Other attempts have failed so you decide to make it a tad more personal. See the trend?

"Well he's quite active on any thread with topics concerning the LGBT Community, he's also extremely active on the LGBT Forum here on Boards of which he also Moderates .......... and, from his posts, he is quite active within the Gay Community including organising Gay Nights etc.

I can't use his real-life name here but he is a gay rights "activist" ........."

All true and posted at the request of a poster asking me to "backup" my opinion of Joey .......... I do see a trend here, as it happens.
    Here we go again.... Fourth attempt to get a reaction from Joey.

"Well yourself, jobbridge4life and joeytheparrot seem attracted to my posts so .......... maybe you have a point!"

Here we go again is right!! :D
    Did you just decide in your "investigation" that if "MadDog mentions Joey in any posts then he's guilty guilty guilty! Just like KERSPLAT! said!!"?

Yes, I did mention Joey (and several other posters throughout the thread) as he did me ......... we weren't "dragging" eachother into the thread (we were both already active on it!) so showing me where I mentioned him does not justify the ban, ie. I said "Joey" a few times, so what? :confused:

I see why Joey stopped posting in that thread, it had nothing to do with the weekend.

Are you presuming to know what Joey was doing for the weekend and making assumptions to justify your upholding the ban?!?? Incredible!! :D
    Maybe Joey would have been back (he did say he would be back) and maybe he wouldn't have been back (he seemed stumped by Jack Killain's question) but there is no way for you, me or anybody else to know that one way or the other.
    I've often heard Mods/Cmods say "bear with us, it is the weekend" so why can't the same be said of Joey's lack of activity on Boards over the weekend? Another excuse to justify upholding the ban.
    Apart from above, you were out for a reaction in general. Your tone with other posters was appalling also, with subtle comments to get a poster to react.

To me this is blatant trolling.

On reflection of above, I feel a one week ban is very fair considering your history and I will be upholding the original ban.

If you are willing to accept, we can move on and you will be free to post in AH in the coming days.

If you do not accept my review, I will escalate and request that an Admin review.

Thank you,

LEIN

I wasn't Trolling, you're wrong (it does happen) so I would like an Admin to review (I'm not optimistic!) as I feel accepting your decision would be paramount to agreeing with your decision ......... which I cannot do, as you are wrong.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your response.

May I request that an Admin reviews this case, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'll review this. There's a bit of reading in the thread, so it may be tomorrow before I get back to you.

I'll review this. There's a bit of reading in the thread, so it may be tomorrow before I get back to you.

No problem Fin, I'm sure you're busy watching the match as I haven't heard from you ........... take your time. :)

Actually, I was in the office until 8pm last night. Got home in time to see the goal, bite to eat & straight to bed. On my way back to the office now. Hope to get to this on my lunch today.

Thanks for your patience.

Actually, I was in the office until 8pm last night. Got home in time to see the goal, bite to eat & straight to bed. On my way back to the office now. Hope to get to this on my lunch today.

Thanks for your patience.

No worries.

• Advertisement

Hi MadDog:

Apologies for the delay - RL has been hectic this week. I'm going to keep this short & sweet...

LEIN's summation above is bang on in my opinion.

Whether it was intentional or not - you singled out another poster in an attempt to argue with them on that thread. You were baiting him & that's not acceptable. Our members should be free to use this site without feeling harassed or otherwise pressured by other posters. Your persistence in calling for him to engage crossed that line.

It is noted that apart from the baiting - your general engagement in the thread was civil, & this is reflected in the fact that you were only banned for a week & not two weeks as would usually be the case in AH (as you had already picked up a one week ban earlier this year).

Ban upheld.

Again, thanks for your patience & apologies for the delay.

tHB

Hi MadDog:

Apologies for the delay - RL has been hectic this week. I'm going to keep this short & sweet...

LEIN's summation above is bang on in my opinion.

Whether it was intentional or not - you singled out another poster in an attempt to argue with them on that thread. You were baiting him & that's not acceptable. Our members should be free to use this site without feeling harassed or otherwise pressured by other posters. Your persistence in calling for him to engage crossed that line.

It is noted that apart from the baiting - your general engagement in the thread was civil, & this is reflected in the fact that you were only banned for a week & not two weeks as would usually be the case in AH (as you had already picked up a one week ban earlier this year).

Ban upheld.

Again, thanks for your patience & apologies for the delay.

tHB

Well ......... your decision is expected, and predictable, so I'm not surprised.

You're wrong of course but I think you're aware of that ........... it's been pointed out several times across the Forums (and the Net in general) that there's significant problems with Moderation and the Dispute Resolution Process on Boards ......... your decision here has done nothing more than compound that consensus.

I'm disappointed that you can't see the issue...
    Our members should be free to use this site without feeling harassed or otherwise pressured by other posters. Your persistence in calling for him to engage crossed that line.

All the best,

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement