Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Kilkenny, 30th July 2016 - Early Bird Registration

Options
  • 19-06-2016 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up to all boardsies who have supported this event in the past, and hopefully a few newcomers who may feel up to a challenge this year.
    Early bird registration of 25 euro is available up to 30th June. After this date, online registration is 30 euro, and 35 euro on the day. These subscriptions refer to the 110 and 160 routes.
    The 70 km route is 20euro early bird.

We have changed the route of the 110 route somewhat. After the lunch stop in Listerlin it will proceed with the 160 route as far as Mullinavat, where it turns right along the old Waterford Kilkenny road back to the Rugby club. This gives a better road surface heading home, but puts in one more ickle climb after lunch for the 110.
    (Just to confuse ye, this is referred to on our registration page as 120 route, but it's actually 113 or therabouts)

All monies raised after expenses go to our selected charities, who are kind enough to provide marshals and assistance on the day.

http://tourdekilkenny.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thegingerbear

Just wondering do you get a big turnout for this event? Was thinking of doing the 110km route.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Just wondering do you get a big turnout for this event? Was thinking of doing the 110km route.

Last two years had over 700, spread over four routes.
    Most do the longer routes - the 110 and 160 are together to lunch stop (and longer this year due to new 110 route).
    Should be plenty of groups to tag on to.
    I think about 450-500 did the longer spins last year.
    Also the early bird rate is extended to 10th July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Hi lads, how do I register for this? Seems online registration is closed?
    looking for 3 spots.
    Cheers.

terrydel wrote: »
    Hi lads, how do I register for this? Seems online registration is closed?
    looking for 3 spots.
    Cheers.

Sorry about that. Guy who set up the online was on hols & hard to contact (as an I hence late reply -sorry).
    I believe it's resolved now.
    Look forward to having ye guys down.

Just a bump to say that early bird registration of 25 euro is still available, up to 10th July.
    So get the finger out and sign up this weekend.
    Had a great day and great crowd last year and hoping for the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i did the tour de burren 62k a few weeks back...i'll be doing the 70k TDK...whats it like compared to the burren cycle??

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Smashing event, well organised, well marshalled and good grub. However be warned!! The 160k is the toughest sportive around. South Kilkenny is very hilly country. The 110k is excellent and the prevailing wind, hopefully, will be in your back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Anyone know if there is a strava or ride with GPS file for the 160km route. None on the website. Trying to decide whether to ride the 110km or the 160km.

fryup wrote: »
    i did the tour de burren 62k a few weeks back...i'll be doing the 70k TDK...whats it like compared to the burren cycle??

Don't know the Burren, but the tdk 70 is generally flat with one steady climb of about 5km at 4% or so in middle.

darkvalley wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a strava or ride with GPS file for the 160km route. None on the website. Trying to decide whether to ride the 110km or the 160km.

On hols & working from phone.
    If nobody else can provide one, I'll be home early next week & can sort something then.

• Advertisement

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Don't know the Burren, but the tdk 70 is generally flat with one steady climb of about 5km at 4% or so in middle.

thats the way i like it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Generally people start with the intention of doing the 160 but end up doing the 110.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Here is the 160km on Map My Ride:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/kilkenny-l/tour-de-kilkenny-160km-route-242139403

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So get the finger out and sign up this weekend.

I got the finger out and registered :)
    It'll be TdKK number three for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

did the 160k last year- excellent event - well organised and good food stops. tough route but lovely day out

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

Bump.

Early bird closes this evening.

Doing the 110k myself - nice route but a good bit of climbing in "flat" Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Bump.

Early bird closes this evening.

Doing the 110k myself - nice route but a good bit of climbing in "flat" Kilkenny

This is no easy day out on the bike. When the hills start, they are relentless, like proper relentless.

It's tougher than the W200 and the Owell Randonee IMO.

Or maybe that was in my head?

Not sure if I want to find out tbh.

I might give it a lash again this year....

Has come to my attention, due to website refurbishments, that the routes are not linked. We hope to rectify this shortly.
    Anyway, in the meantime, here they are:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1179860185 70k route

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1079853614 110/120 route (actually 113) - revised from previous years for a nice return leg.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1179881008 160 km route - go on, you know you want to.

If anybody needs the routes in another format, let me know and I'll see what we can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

what time does the 70k start??

philstar wrote: »
    what time does the 70k start??

11 am. Other 2 are off at 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....If anybody needs the routes in another format, let me know and I'll see what we can do.
    The 160k route is displaying distance in metric and elevation in feet! WTF? My brain refuses to deal with 'feet'. :D

The 160k route is displaying distance in metric and elevation in feet! WTF? My brain refuses to deal with 'feet'. :D

Divide by 3.1 or therabouts. Or else just get out and cycle it. It's a long spin. Have you done long cycles??🀔🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

hi, is this a mass start?

And is the route easy enough to follow (via signposts, marshalls, etc)?

thanks.

Divide by 3.1 or therabouts. Or else just get out and cycle it. It's a long spin. Have you done long cycles??🀔🀔

Presuming the 1878m is correct, as opposed to feet?

The avg % of the climbs looks fairly handy, is that very deceptive? :pac:

so you have two different routes starting at the same time:confused: will that not cause confusion?

terrydel wrote: »
    Presuming the 1878m is correct, as opposed to feet?

The avg % of the climbs looks fairly handy, is that very deceptive? :pac:

You are correct. Climbing is about 1800-1900 metres.
    Looking at it now The climb details on mapmyride link is deceptive. Some of those middle climbs are quite steep, with sections over 10%.
    Will get some Strava segment links up later.

fryup wrote: »
    so you have two different routes starting at the same time:confused: will that not cause confusion?

The 110 and 160 routes are shared up to about the 85 km mark.
    At Mullinavat you can head for home or keep going to do the full 160.
    For those who have done it before, please note that the split is later this year, not straight after lunch stop as previously.

1bryan wrote: »
    hi, is this a mass start?

And is the route easy enough to follow (via signposts, marshalls, etc)?

thanks.
    It's a mass start (although sometimes a few head up the road a bit early)
    There are a good few signposts, plenty of marshals. Hopefully nobody will get lost. (It hasn't happened yet anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Did the 120 last week. An excellent route with several challenging hills. Tip: don't take a break in Inistioge before tackling Woodstock, your legs might not appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Did the 120 last week. An excellent route with several challenging hills. Tip: don't take a break in Inistioge before tackling Woodstock, your legs might not appreciate it.

what would you compare the toughest climb here to in the Wicklow area? :cool:

Advertisement