Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Kilkenny, 30th July 2016 - Early Bird Registration

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Think I remember that lad from last year - bit of a mountain goat alright. Some work to KOM there after 140 odd km.

Double goodie bag for anybody topping it tomorrow🚵ðŸ¿ðŸšµðŸ¿ðŸ˜€ðŸ˜€
    Yes I was cycling with him..couldn't believe the way he shot up Kilmanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭griffin100

Hats of to MCC for today - great event with loads of marshals, signage and food at the stops. They even sorted out the weather. Ended up doing the 160km and it was a great day out with a challenging route. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thanks to all involved! :-) One bad thing: not getting easier. Well, I suppose that what you get if you have 99kgs and a 10 kg bike to drag along. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I had signed up for the 110km but in a moment of madness I turned left in Mullinavat and did the 160km :)

Myself and a sound chap from Tipperary Wheelers worked together all the way from Mullinavat to Kilmaganny. I think each other's company kept us sane as we didn't meet many other riders for a long time.

I was really, really starting to struggle when I got to Callan but I jumped in with a great group of 8 or so for the last 20km. A couple of them had Naas CC jerseys, and a lady had an Alpe d'Huez jersey. I think I'd still be somewhere around Kilmanagh now if it wasn't for them! :D

Speaking of Kilmanagh.... holy fcuk :eek:
    I had never done that climb before, only the one up by the GAA grounds on the way to Tullaroan, which is about half the distance. Today was my joint longest ever distance on a bike and I've never done a climb that tough, with that much miles in the legs. Near the summit, I started to get a cramp in the left hamstring, and a cramp in my right calf. It wasn't nice.

I saw a Boardsie (black with pink/white full kit) but I didn't get a chance to say hi as they were far too fast for me!

Well done to everyone in MCC for a great event. I hope plenty of money was raised for the charities. I love the slices of melon and watermelon at the food stops, really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Always one of my favourites this! Such a well run event, plenty of marshals and signage...foodstop was great and all the volunteers were really helpful.

Did the 113k - unfortunately for me the group I rolled out with from the foodstop were all doing the 160k except for one other guy, but he was too strong for me and I ended up doing that last 30k solo for the most part...into that north wind

Only feedback I'd have for MCC:
    I missed the little kick up out of Bennetsbridge on the way home! It was a long auld 30k into the headwind on the big main road all the way from Mullinavat I thought. I know usually there'd be a tailwind there, but thought it was a bit long on that road? I know right-turns off a road make an event that bit more risky, but I think possibly turning right before Knocktopher and home then via the original route through Thomastown and Bennetsbridge would have broken it up a bit better?
    Just a thought ;)

Was still a great day out - deffo will be back again whether the route home is the same or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I had signed up for the 110km but in a moment of madness I turned left in Mullinavat and did the 160km :)

Well done Sir! No pain no gain! :) I have 160 000 pain in my legs as well.

I saw the jersey as well I wonder who was the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Brilliant event. Did the 160 on the back of little training, but brute force and ignorance won the day!

Kilmanagh!! I thought it was over till i saw the half way there sign on the road! Still, it was worth it as the spin from there to the finish is great.

Now for a few well earned pints !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Really enjoyed that today. Thanks to Buzwaldo et al for a very well organised event. Did the 160k - it was much handier than I was led to believe - just a couple of juicy bits. It was also a novelty riding on roads that were totally unknown to me. I'll be back (and I'll try to bring a few club mates next time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Thanks to the organisers for a great event. Its a chanllenging, rolly course even tho the amount of climbing isnt thru the roof.
    I felt really good today, finished in 6:10 averaging 26.37kmph. I was doing it with my brother and he had a very tough day, just wasnt feeling 'in shape' at all as Sean Kelly might say, and was struggling from 65k onwards. Well I'm not one to leave a soldier on the battlefield, so I slowed down and worked to keep his spirits up and get him thru what was a hard day for him. And he did it well, hats off to him. Very easy to give up when you are struggling, but hes not one to do that.
    I think I could have knocked half an hour maybe off my time, had my bro been on form. We are both pretty good climbers so courses like this normally suit us. I found kilmanagh great! I dont do strava but would love to see my time on it.
    I was in a green Ale jersey and bright green shoes in case anyone spotted me!
    Thanks again for a great day, good food stops, really, really good marshalling and friendly atmosphere. Its a proper good value sportive. Will deffo be on the calendar next year.
    And to the girl we met at the start in running shoes doing the 160 after only being at cycling a year or so, hope you got thru it and enjoyed it!
    And chapeau to my brother for gritting his teeth and getting thru probably his toughest day in the saddle in a long time. Proud of him.

terrydel wrote: »
    I was in a green Ale jersey and bright green shoes in case anyone spotted me!

I chatted to you briefly (as you flew past me) on the climb to Templeorum, and then again a while later at the top of climb when you said your brother was struggling.

I was wearing a black & red jersey, black helmet & shorts. I was with a chap from Tipperary Wheelers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I chatted to you briefly (as you flew past me) on the climb to Templeorum, and then again a while later at the top of climb when you said your brother was struggling.

I was wearing a black & red jersey, black helmet & shorts. I was with a chap from Tipperary Wheelers.

Aye, I remember ya. Hope you enjoyed the day and got thru it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Good Sportive

but one gripe i do have is that there was no marshall at the junction near the end when joining the N10 which is a very busy road, a tad irresponsible i thought

fryup wrote: »
    Good Sportive

but one gripe i do have is that there was no marshall at the junction near the end when joining the N77 which is a very busy road, a tad irresponsible i thought

Are you sure the road you are thinking of is the N77?

The N77 is road from Kilkenny to Portlaoise. So none of the routes go on that road :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

sorry N10,

now i didn't expect anyone to stop the traffic, but just to warn people approaching it would have been sufficient...but there wasn't a marshall to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What a fab day out. I managed the 70km and it only took 4 hours moving time. 5 & a half hours total.....

In the company of my wife and two girls, 10 and 12, on their first new road bike outing! They were delighted with the event and the finish and the attention, and the snack stops and that we weren't even last!!
    I think they were most of all pleased with the realisation that jersey pockets can be filled with chocolate and dipped into at will :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fryup wrote: »
    Good Sportive

but one gripe i do have is that there was no marshall at the junction near the end when joining the N10 which is a very busy road, a tad irresponsible i thought

I would disagree, there are yield and stop signs, rules of the road still have to be adhered to. At that stage there are no more big groups.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Thanks to all who participated in this yesterday, those who travelled from far and near, including the local occasional cyclists who support this event.
    Thanks also to all the volunteers and club members who helped in the lead up and on the day, back at base, on the road, and at the stops. A fair few volunteers put in a longer day than many of the cyclists doing the 160.
    Also to the bike doctor for turning up as he does every year to sort out guys in the road. Also a shout for our motorbike marshals who again are volunteers - we has a few newcomers this year to cover regulars who were on holidays.
    When the tour was originally established by the first committee, the aim was just to run a good event. All income after costs ( which are considerable) is divided between the event charities, who enable the event by providing manpower in the form of volunteers on the day. Our sponsors this year were Irish Pilgrimage Trust, the Samaratins, Diabetes Ireland, and Jonah Special School in Listerlin.
    I must also acknowledge the role the weather played in making it a good day this year. Let's hope it continues.
    Need to give a big shout also for our main sponsors Glanbia who filled the goody bags, provided loads of food for the day, and their general support during the year. Also Caulfields Supervalue Loughboy for their contribution on the day and deliveries etc.
    Was nice to briefly meet the prolific Wishbone Ash, resplendent in his boards kit, before we headed out. Think he said he found it handy enough, with a few juicy bits. Well I'm glad he enjoyed it, but I think if we picked a route that he found challenging, it would be virtually un-rideable for the rest of us😠Anyway, good to put a face to the name, and nice to meet you WA.
    We did have a few small glitches this year which I think affected a small few riders, but will work to eliminate them in future. All feedback and constructive criticism is welcome & helpful (hopefully). If you have any ideas or issues please let us know - either in thread, or by PM if you don't want to appear publicly negative.
    Until next year, thanks again, and adios from MCC / TdeKK.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

A few pics & videos on the Facebook page.
    https://m.facebook.com/MarbleCityCyclers/

Advertisement