Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay rise

Options
  • 19-06-2016 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have been working in the same role for nearly 5 years. I started on a 'starting salary' and was promised a review after a year.

HR manager left and things got rocky in terms of job security. So after 3 years I asked about a rise.

Was told it was under review. Asked again the following year again was told it was under review.

Do I ask again? Do I ask more formally?

Is there a time you just have to walk away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

It depends. Is your employer in your opinion in a fit financial position to give you a pay rise?
    Do you like going to work , are you happy there and fulfilled?
    How important is the pay rise to you?
    You should definitely be job hunting if just to see what's out there and how much more you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Yes ask formally and start looking else where. Personally I hate talking about more money - it feels like coming cap in hand but it has to be done. Make sure you have clear reasoning as to why you deserve a pay rise (your OP is a good starting point), throw everything positive into it - performance reviews, attendance, get on well with people in the team etc. Also go in with a clear number for what you want and what you'd settle for.

Also if they are dragging their heals or say they only give payrises at certain times try and work out with them a clear path i.e. if I do these 3 tasks within 6 months I get X amount more, if I do these other two tasks in the 6 months after that I get X+y amount more. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THIS IN WRITING!

BTW if you are doing the same work as someone else for less money its (probably) illegal, check your terms and conditions and talk to citizens advice, dont go in with this guns blazing for the first formal meeting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

I am going to put my request formally in writing and request a full explanation back in writing.

I really enjoy my job but feel used.

The company can afford to pay more. I deserve to be paid more for my work. I don't think they should jump me up to the others but someway near them.

In the meantime I think I'll look at the market and see what's out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

another36 wrote: »
    I am going to put my request formally in writing and request a full explanation back in writing.

I really enjoy my job but feel used.

The company can afford to pay more. I deserve to be paid more for my work. I don't think they should jump me up to the others but someway near them.

In the meantime I think I'll look at the market and see what's out there.

If you're there 5 years, in my opinion you should be paid what your colleagues with longer service are paid.

If you can't get very close to that, it's time to find a better employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

another36 wrote: »
    I have been working in the same role for nearly 5 years. I started on a 'starting salary' and was promised a review after a year.

HR manager left and things got rocky in terms of job security. So after 3 years I asked about a rise.

Was told it was under review. Asked again the following year again was told it was under review.

Do I ask again? Do I ask more formally?

Is there a time you just have to walk away?

There is numerous salary reviews and data gathered annually from a number of sources.

https://www.morganmckinley.ie/article/hr-2016-salary-survey-benefits-guide

There is a starting piece from the 2016 data for HR.

I requested a pay rise this year and part of the process was basically outlining why I felt I deserved one, and part of that documentation and data I submitted was the above(I took from multiple sources) to outline the average and expected for someone in my field, with my years experience etc.

So the above will give you some form of ammunition along then with your own specific tasks and performance. If you see your WAY below the likes of the article above, then you might be best off just moving elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement