Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Stephen Kenny is some manager. He gave us in Derry a brilliant run in Europe back in 2006 and he's doing even better for Dundalk now. Great stuff all round.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Omackeral wrote: »
    Two away ties.

Play in Tallaght and pre-sell tickets at a home LOI game in Oriel. As long as they don't sell out and use Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Where will they play their next game then ? If Cork go through they'll face the same issue: Grounds not fit for the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anyone know the odds on the 3-0 tonight?? Surely was very good price

-1.5 was 13/1

I'd imagine 3 - 0 was 50/1 +

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

irish_goat wrote: »
    Stephen Kenny is some manager. He gave us in Derry a brilliant run in Europe back in 2006 and he's doing even better for Dundalk now. Great stuff all round.

Always felt he got a bit of a raw deal with us (Bohs) too, he did a good job overall and should've got longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Highest rankings teams they can face in the champions section include Celtic, Olympiakos, Legia Warsaw, Vicky Plezen, Red Bull Salzburg. (Not a complete list)

So far Plezen and APOEL are the only guaranteed seeded teams with Dundalk the only guaranteed unseeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Knock oriel park and build a proper stadium....

They are earning great money but its far away from major construction project money.

Carry on with your negativity anyway, not embarrassing yourself at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Think they could beat celtic especially if that awful center half is playing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Jaysus could you imagine Dundalk beating APOEL and drawing Barcelona or Real in the group stages!

I don't care what people say about a competitive league; anything that raises the profile of the league amongst Irish people is fine by me. The status quo is hardly ideal to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hopefully they draw Celtic, because everyone one here seems to think they'd be a penalty kick :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was out all night and just checked result, thinking Bate would score at least one away goal and progress.

Sweet jesus, that is some result. Fair play to SK and the Dundalk players.

They will be hoping for Celtic next, they'd beat them too!

Sure isn't the LOI sh1te!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Delighted with the result. Fair play to Stephen Kenny and the players, they knew they had a much better performance in them and they produced tonight when it mattered. Should be interesting to see who they get in the next round. Can't be much more of a challenge than BATE anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah jesus only in ireland would you find negativity around one of the best results in Irish history.

Fair play to dundalk. Surreal result

Definitely only in Ireland. The lads in Liverpool frequently put their rivalry to one side when United play in Europe. The whole of England united together when Chelsea won the Champions League. Kids could be seen running through the streets of Newcastle in joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is Tallaght eligible to host fourth round tie? Or any other ground for that matter? Or is the criteria the same as third round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Unreal collapse from Rosenborg

Collie D wrote: »
    Is Tallaght eligible to host fourth round tie? Or any other ground for that matter? Or is the criteria the same as third round?

They hosted the Europa League group stages a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I can smell the patronising bullshít from here, from the people who don't follow any LOI team telling us all that we should just support Dundalk for reasons that they wouldn't dream of applying to themselves when talking about "rival" English teams competing in Europe.

"but it's not the same thing"

You're damn right it's not. Not the same thing at all.

I don't support Dundalk in April, and I don't support them in September either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why's it only 14 for group stages?

Surely closer to 20/30m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

CSF wrote: »
    They hosted the Europa League group stages a few years back.

Aye, just thought CL might be stricter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Well done de Dundalk.......give de money to Johnny Delaney......hed sort it for ye!!

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    Aye, just thought CL might be stricter

They are very unlikely to be in the CL proper. Rovers played Partizan at the same stage so shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Isn't there someone on here who still maintains that McMillan is sh!t?
    Could be me. He was **** for us.

A lot of players Dundalk have had in recent years were **** for us previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

noodler wrote: »
    Why's it only 14 for group stages?

Surely closer to 20/30m?

Irish team would get less than a German, Spanish or (especially) UK team for reaching the CL groups. A component of the payment is a divvy-up of the money coming from your leagues TV rightsholder. BT are paying £250M a year, RTE and TV3 are paying 50p and a bag of grapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I can smell the patronising bullshít from here, from the people who don't follow any LOI team telling us all that we should just support Dundalk for reasons that they wouldn't dream of applying to themselves when talking about "rival" English teams competing in Europe.

You're not even in their league, it doesn't apply to you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Irish team would get less than a German, Spanish or (especially) UK team for reaching the CL groups. A component of the payment is a divvy-up of the money coming from your leagues TV rightsholder. BT are paying £250M a year, RTE and TV3 are paying 50p and a bag of grapes.

A full bag of grapes? They have upped it since last year,was only a half bag of grapes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Whatever about not supporting rival teams in Europe, I just like to see results like this as a big **** you to the people who love to **** all over the the league.

I sincerely hope someone throws that "problem child" comment back at Delaney when he inevitably tries steal some of the limelight from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have to say fair play to Dundalk. It'll do wonders for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Would love to see Dundalk get Celtic, mostly because they'd beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What a performance and result from Dundalk tonight. They played fantastic and fully deserved it, BATE are a good side and I'm sure a lot of football fans around Europe took note of that result tonight. O'Donnell was a warrior in the middle of the pitch, Horgan excellent as always and McEleney changed the game when he came on. Stephen Kenny should be very proud of the team he has built up there, after seeing Michael O'Neil do so well after leaving Rovers maybe Kenny will go on further some day as well. If Dundalk were to dominate for the next few years would it be ridiculous to say Kenny could be a candidate for the Ireland job?

Maybe Dundalk will go on to dominate the league for years to come if they invest this money correctly but I think it is a good thing for the league, it can't be much worse than it is at the moment and maybe it would encourage some bright youngsters to stay at home rather than move over to England at the first chance they get. It could make the league a one horse race for a while (not guaranteed) but if we want the league to improve overall then this is definitely a good thing. Did Rosenborg have much of an effect on the rest of Norwegian football does anyone know?

Hats off to Dundalk, an incredible result and they have the entire country behind them in the playoff round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That was fantastic stuff to watch.
    Dundalk have no fear were skillful and organised there was a real GAA feel to the performance Kenny going into see his family in the crows etc magic stuff.

Hopefully the day is not far off where people do not travel across the water once a month to watch soccer, but go closer to home instead.
    Also that the players stay in the LOI a few more years so that a few 0's can be added to transfers they can start making decent money.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Sore throat from roaring at the TV, well done Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Maybe you're reading too much into it. I don't think anyone is suggesting you go and buy a replica jersey but I'm sure there are plenty of LOI fans who are thrilled for Dundalk tonight. All summer this thread has been full of well wishers from fans of opposing LOI teams. Seems those wishes only go so far with some people, which is fair enough, but there has been nothing in here to suggest there is a bunch of Premier League fans demanding everyone to support Dundalk. I suspect that is your default position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done Dundalk. Ye were unreal.

Hats off.

Nothing to lose now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I was at the game tonight. A night I will never forget. Delighted for Dundalk. Incredible night for Irish football. Stephen Kenny has done an amazing job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Maybe you're reading too much into it. I don't think anyone is suggesting you go and buy a replica jersey but I'm sure there are plenty of LOI fans who are thrilled for Dundalk tonight. All summer this thread has been full of well wishers from fans of opposing LOI teams. Seems those wishes only go so far with some people, which is fair enough, but there has been nothing in here to suggest there is a bunch of Premier League fans demanding everyone to support Dundalk. I suspect that is your default position.

The other thing for me is that a Dundalk side in the group stages of European football is a Dundalk side that might well take their eye off the league. If they're in the Europa League every Thursday and then playing league games every Sunday, then it's something they haven't done before and it could give the other teams chasing them a real chance to make up some ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Thrilled for Stephen Kenny, a total gentleman any time I was dealing with him. Also lump in my throat for ex-Mons Brian Gartland, Shane Grimes, Darren Meenan and Our Gabby Sava. Proud of them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Some bitter old fools on here. Dundalk reaching the champions league would be massive for the league. I'm delighted they got through but that's as far as it'll go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The other thing for me is that a Dundalk side in the group stages of European football is a Dundalk side that might well take their eye off the league. If they're in the Europa League every Thursday and then playing league games every Sunday, then it's something they haven't done before and it could give the other teams chasing them a real chance to make up some ground.

As a city fan, I am very hopeful it will aid our league campaign, I would still like to in the draw on Friday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Some bitter old fools on here. Dundalk reaching the champions league would be massive for the league. I'm delighted they got through but that's as far as it'll go.

Exactly. It sets the standard for the league to aspire too. It has the ability to get more people to support their local clubs and take an interest in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ara don't mind the Shels lads, they are always miserable. By the time they have to worry about Dundalk whats left of Tolka will have fallen down.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    As a city fan, I am very hopeful it will aid our league campaign, I would still like to in the draw on Friday though.

We can take inspiration from this for Thursday. Dundalk were hammered last week and still beat them decisively tonight.

We matched Genk away last week and were unlucky to lose. If we step it up at home like Dundalk did tonight we can win on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

was tempted to go across the country for this but il admit i wasnt optimistic enough!
    Fantastic result by a fantastic team. looking at the seeded teams posted earlier, the calibre of opposition is only slightly better in some cases and a downward step in others on BATE. Whoever they face, Dundalk have no reason to fear any of them after tonight

FAI didnt take long. Comments underneath are angry.:)

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/760589440083427328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Thanks Dundalk :P

063d8040b65cac92497c335d48479131.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Every right to be. Dundalk have earned more from this then they would if the league offered them 20 years worth of winnings for the league. It shows what a joke the FAI are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Just back from Tallaght Stadium, cannot believe what I just saw. Dundalk gave the best performance by an Irish club team in Europe ever and are now guaranteed a place in the Europa League Group stages and €7m at minimum but after tonight I think with the right draw they can go on to the Group stages of the Champions League. Great night for Dundalk FC, the Town and Irish soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

If they drop into the EL, they will make the FAI's five grand "investment" back after about 68 seconds of the first group stage game :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

David Kent ‏@KentoCCFC 47m47 minutes ago
    @FAIreland @DundalkFC @SSEAirtricityLg Problem child and it was definitley the 5k that did it

OI ‏@InvestInLOI 54m54 minutes ago
    @FAIreland @DundalkFC @SSEAirtricityLg Give the teams in the league more than 5K then this will happen more

Rkidmurray [/URL] 41m41 minutes ago
    @FAIreland @DundalkFC @SSEAirtricityLg Trying to piggyback on Dundalk's success when the fai have done nothing for the league. Shameless.

go Louth, Ireland
    @FAIreland pump some money in!! #jokers

Seán ‏@flanno7hi 51m51 minutes ago
    @FAIreland @DundalkFC @SSEAirtricityLg not bad for the "problem child"

@FAIreland unfortunately it only highlights the fact you treat the league like ****. 5k wouldn't run a schoolboy team for a season

joXssgf8_bigger.jpgShane ‏@shane_ltfc 50m50 minutes ago
    @FAIreland @DundalkFC @SSEAirtricityLg problem child ?

18L-u_Td_bigger.jpegShane Browne ‏@sbrownie6 52m52 minutes ago
    @FAIreland @SSEAirtricityLg get off your arse and start sorting out the League

_6YbqjDz_bigger.jpgRuari McHale ‏@RuariMUFC 7m7 minutes ago
    @FAIreland @DundalkFC @SSEAirtricityLg and they did it with **** all help from ye.

@FAIreland that €20 a week went a long way didn't it! Joke of an association, ashamed to wear your garbage crest at the euros

E54AzNy0_bigger.jpgPat Murphy ‏@Patm86 29m29 minutes ago
    @FAIreland maybe now you'll take our domestic league seriously.

Tony O'LearyTheRealTonyOL [/URL] 43m43 minutes ago
    @FAIreland yous couldn't give a ****

@FAIreland no thanks to the FAI #Dundalk

• Advertisement
Advertisement