Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Running the FAI's social media must be one of the least pleasant jobs in football..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Thanks Dundalk :P

063d8040b65cac92497c335d48479131.png

Cashed Out I see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Thanks Dundalk :P

063d8040b65cac92497c335d48479131.png

Don't spend it all in the one shop.
    People getting ahead of themselves here,hoping to draw Celtic as they think they are beatable.
    They haven't even qualified yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk fans in Spain are delighted
    5ceadc167f2657adf321bb2696149b70.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Great night for Irish football

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

CSF wrote: »
    They are very unlikely to be in the CL proper. Rovers played Partizan at the same stage so shouldn't be a problem.

If the CL qualifier regulations are the same as the EL qualifier, Tallaght is fine. As it is, it's not ok for the group games, so they need to get working on that.

Plus they'll now need extra players, make sure players are in contract until December, check players' bonuses etc, home ground, friendlies. I'd hold back on 'domination' just yet depending on what they spend the money on. How does the Oriel dispute affect investment in/develping the ground. If it's spent on players' wages..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

MD1990 wrote: »
    Dundalk fans in Spain are delighted
    5ceadc167f2657adf321bb2696149b70.png

I bet the comment under it is another Spanish fan saying he'd never support another European team :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Missed the game as I was working but delighted for Dundalk, I gave them zero chance of going through after last week's performance. I hope Cork can win on Thursday, it'd be great to see two teams playing until Christmas.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Listening to a sports bulletin from a big enough radio station this morning and they say Dundalk can play Manchester City in the next round. Lazy journalism. Another breakfast show was salivating over them winning their next tie so they could play Manchester United in the CL group stages. So much wrong with that one I won't even explain. They also literally said "make room on that bandwagon for us there" and predicted Dundalk jerseys will be sold out of Lifestyle sports ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Running the FAI's social media must be one of the least pleasant jobs in football..

If the FAI didn't praise Dundalk for winning wouldn't they more than likely receive similar abuse for ignoring their achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I got banned for questioning Delaney so expect see few less followers on their twitter.

No sympathy for FAI twitter guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I got banned for questioning Delaney so expect see few less followers on their twitter.

No sympathy for FAI twitter guys

It's funny reading this, I'd say you'd get less punishment for questioning Ki Jong Un

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Oat23 wrote: »
    Eir is having problems because of the rain at Tallaght.

yup it was seriously bad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Just back from Tallaght Stadium, cannot believe what I just saw. Dundalk gave the best performance by an Irish club team in Europe ever and are now guaranteed a place in the Europa League Group stages and €7m at minimum but after tonight I think with the right draw they can go on to the Group stages of the Champions League. Great night for Dundalk FC, the Town and Irish soccer.
    Where are you getting €7m from? I've seen a figure of €2.4m as a base figure for qualifying for the group stage of the EL;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Prize_money
    I'm not up to speed on TV money, but I can't see them earning over €5m from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What a night for the league. Absolutely delighted. That second half performance was wonderful.

Screw that... What a night for Dundalk! Drink it in lads.

Us v Hajduk has nothing on this! And that in itself was off the charts!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ridiculous how it's less than 4 years since McMillan scored a penalty for UCD in Oriel Park in front of 700 people to basically cement Dundalk's position at the foot of the table, leaving them a playoff away from first division football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Omackeral wrote: »
    Listening to a sports bulletin from a big enough radio station this morning and they say Dundalk can play Manchester City in the next round. Lazy journalism. Another breakfast show was salivating over them winning their next tie so they could play Manchester United in the CL group stages. So much wrong with that one I won't even explain. They also literally said "make room on that bandwagon for us there" and predicted Dundalk jerseys will be sold out of Lifestyle sports ha

You have to name the stations!

Unforgivable sloppiness there.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Great stuff from Dundalk. Ran over to the pub after work to watch and got there juat as first goal flew in. Me and one other lad cheered.

It's a great achievement for them. Loved their celebrations at the end, really meant something and if I was a neutral who happened to turn that on I would be likely to look up more about them.

Plus, nice to see so many comments of positivity about the league for once. This has people talking for the right reasons! Anyone know official attendance last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Great night for Irish football

Great night for Dundalk. No one else.

Unless every LOI fan is now a Dundalk fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

gimmick wrote: »
    Great night for Dundalk. No one else.

Unless every LOI fan is now a Dundalk fan?

Or young lads might be looking on and realise they can play european football staying in ireland meaning talent that should stay here does stay here instead of slogging around league 1 and league 2 in england. Keep those here and the standard here improves all round making the league more attractive to old and new fans.

I'd comfortably say great night for League of Ireland

• Advertisement

Iang87 wrote: »
    Or young lads might be looking on and realise they can play european football staying in ireland meaning talent that should stay here does stay here instead of slogging around league 1 and league 2 in england. Keep those here and the standard here improves all round making the league more attractive to old and new fans.

Clubs have been playing and progressing in Europe for years. Shells in 2004 got withing 45 mins of the CL (admittedly beaten 3-0 in the end). Nothing changed. CCFC progressed 3 rounds in 2006 (and would have gotten EL football had it existed). Nothing changed. Shams in 2011. Nothing changed.

Nothing will change for anyone but Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

blueser wrote: »
    Where are you getting €7m from? I've seen a figure of €2.4m as a base figure for qualifying for the group stage of the EL;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Prize_money
    I'm not up to speed on TV money, but I can't see them earning over €5m from there.

Need to add the money (€3M I've read) for getting to the playoff round of the CL before dropping down into the EL. So the minimum is definitely around €5.4M with possibilities of more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Is Tallaght able to host a UCL playoff game or are they going to have to move the game again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's all about who offers lads the most money. Most arent bothered about anything else.The only LOI that can match a League 1 team's wages is now Dundalk.

Lets not pretend Dundalk going through helps the league. It doesn't. It means they can snap up any half decent talent from any team and dominate the league. It means THEY can maybe keep some decent LOI talent in Ireland instead of going across to the lower English leagues. There will be no trickle down effect.

People keep mentioning how Rosenborg going through helped the Norwegian league in the long run but that is a completely different situation. There are literally no revenue streams our teams can exploit off the back of Dundalk. Fans still won't give a shiit with the PL just over the road.

The Tippeligaen also sell their TV rights for €62.5m per season. Things like that are not possible here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

on the money...
    champions league
    First Qualifying Round: €200,000
    Second Qualifying Round: €300,000
    Third Qualifying Round: €400,000 (so plus 900k so far)
    Play-offs Eliminated: €3,000,000
    Play-offs Winners: €2,000,000
    Base fee for group stage: €12,000,000

Europe League
    Base fee for group stage: €2,400,000
    Group match victory: €360,000
    Group match draw: €120,000
    Group winners: €500,000
    Group runners-up: €250,000

Straight out in the next round and groups without a point would be another €5.4 million or €6.3million total as a worst case scenario. (ignoring match revenue)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Clubs have been playing and progressing in Europe for years. Shells in 2004 got withing 45 mins of the CL (admittedly beaten 3-0 in the end). Nothing changed. CCFC progressed 3 rounds in 2006 (and would have gotten EL football had it existed). Nothing changed. Shams in 2011. Nothing changed.

I'd say CL group stage qualification could have a broader effect, but your basic point is inarguably correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

If nothing else it helps the leagues coefficients in Europe. Technically will allow for clubs to be seeded in the earlier rounds going forward. I know it is based over a 4/5 year period though so whether this alone will do it but city have progressed as well so combined hopefully they can move us up enough to avoid the bigger seeded teams next year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wonder what will happen to the LOI in terms of scheduling? Dundalk have so many games to reschedule in the league now.
    Stephen Kenny also made a good point last night saying be giving a week to prepare was huge as it helps them peak for the European games. Dundalk's fitness levels against Bate was a huge factor too.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

gufc21 wrote: »
    If nothing else it helps the leagues coefficients in Europe. Technically will allow for clubs to be seeded in the earlier rounds going forward. I know it is based over a 4/5 year period though so whether this alone will do it but city have progressed as well so combined hopefully they can move us up enough to avoid the bigger seeded teams next year or two.

Pretty sure seeding is based on a clubs own performance and is not influenced by the league as a whole. So only Dundalk will benefit form their own run.

We're a long way off any sort of benefit from an increase in co-effecient.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Also RTE: get your heads out of your ass and secure the rights to the Dundalk tie if you haven't already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Is there any site that gives an updated coefficient. Or is anybody able to predict what the effect of the results so far this year will do for it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Also RTE: get your heads out of your ass and secure the rights to the Dundalk tie if you haven't already.
    If only, Eir will probably offer 20 quid and that'll be enough to scare off RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

RTE don't give a f*ck. They show the weekly highlights show on a Monday night at 11:20pm. What kid is gonna see that and be enticed to a game?

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wonder what will happen to the LOI in terms of scheduling? Dundalk have so many games to reschedule in the league now.
    Stephen Kenny also made a good point last night saying be giving a week to prepare was huge as it helps them peak for the European games. Dundalk's fitness levels against Bate was a huge factor too.

Well because of the LOI clubs demand for a 40 week league its tough titty on Dundalk in that regard.

The league have been generous to Dundalk and CCFC in the postponements most certainly, but I know for a fact that CCFC asked to bring forward some games in April and May to avoid such congestion happening, but the LOI refused. Not sure why. I presume Dundalk would have made a similar request.

I think for the teams qualified for Europe that the 4 should satrt a week earlier and play each other, and allows that to free up a weekend in the middle of European competition.

RTE can f*ck right off. Eir/Setanta is the only channel in Ireland that gives a damn about our teams in Europe. They deserve to show a decent tie (viewership wise) after showing teams playing in the backarse of nowhere many times over the years.

I'll watch it in Arabic or Swahili online instead if its RTE who take the rights now.

Is there any site that gives an updated coefficient. Or is anybody able to predict what the effect of the results so far this year will do for it.

Here ya go:

Updated team coefficients-

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2017.html

Updated CL participants-

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedcl2016.html

RTE can f*ck right off. Eir/Setanta is the only channel in Ireland that gives a damn about our teams in Europe. They deserve to show a decent tie (viewership wise) after showing teams playing in the backarse of nowhere many times over the years.

I'll watch it in Arabic or Swahili online instead if its RTE who take the rights now.

Ah be pragmatic. Particularly with the removal of Eir / Setanta off Virgin / UPC packages it will limit the audience. I get the '**** the barstoolers' vibe, but it can only be a positive for as many people as possible to see this Dundalk team in a prime time tie. They can play. Let's broadcast that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Is Tallaght able to host a UCL playoff game or are they going to have to move the game again?

They'll need to up the seating to 8000. That's it though. Same as when Shams were in the EL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hard to disagree with this. They're not perfect but their presentation and willingness to show games is a breath of fresh air unlike RTE who look like they deem it as a chore to show some live football that doesn't involve English teams.

EDIT: Forgot about the Eir/Virgin fiasco. Dundalk do deserve a good viewership figure I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Pretty sure seeding is based on a clubs own performance and is not influenced by the league as a whole. So only Dundalk will benefit form their own run.

We're a long way off any sort of benefit from an increase in co-effecient.

My understanding that a club's coefficient is 50% of their own performance over the last five years and 50% the leagues performance in European competition over the last five years.

GLaDOS wrote: »

Not quite true, teams get a base coefficient from the league they represent even if they've provided little or nothing to the mark themselves.
    So for example Leicester have a co-efficient of 15.2 despite not playing in Europe within the timeframe.

So theoretically Dundalks results could help another LOI team go from unseeded to seeded in a future early round draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Isn't the tv deal for the play-off round already sorted? From what I remember tv for the playoff round is the same as for the group stages. So if it's the same as last year tv3 have a Tuesday game and rte a Wednesday game.
    And sky used to show all playoff round games using the red button so I'd guess bt do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Thats that so. Pack up the league. Nothing will change dundalk will win the next 30 years and we'll reconvene then and see what we can do

If Dundalk can make it through, RTE/ TV3 will show English teams as that's what the typical Irish football fan wants to watch so I see eir continuing to show Dundalk for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Some. But the rest of us want change.

For starters I want this not to be a one off.

overshoot wrote: »
    on the money...
    champions league
    First Qualifying Round: €200,000
    Second Qualifying Round: €300,000
    Third Qualifying Round: €400,000 (so plus 900k so far)
    Play-offs Eliminated: €3,000,000
    Play-offs Winners: €2,000,000
    Base fee for group stage: €12,000,000

Europe League
    Base fee for group stage: €2,400,000
    Group match victory: €360,000
    Group match draw: €120,000
    Group winners: €500,000
    Group runners-up: €250,000

Straight out in the next round and groups without a point would be another €5.4 million or €6.3million total as a worst case scenario. (ignoring match revenue)
    Thats that so. Pack up the league. Nothing will change dundalk will win the next 30 years and we'll reconvene then and see what we can do

Maybe, they've just earned the equivalent of 57 years of LoI domination.

If Dundalk can make it through, RTE/ TV3 will show English teams as that's what the typical Irish football fan wants to watch so I see eir continuing to show Dundalk for the foreseeable future.

Nope as primary broadcaster in Ireland they would contractually have to show Dundalks game and would also be obliged to be host broadcaster for the continent wide tv feed.

What team do you support in the league and how is Dundalk going to help your club? I am interested to hear why exactly this will help and not hinder other teams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement