Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

If Dundalk can make it through, RTE/ TV3 will show English teams as that's what the typical Irish football fan wants to watch so I see eir continuing to show Dundalk for the foreseeable future.

Thought that as the host broadcasters they have to film the match for UEFA and show the matches on their channels. Almost certain that what happened when Rovers qualified for the EL group stages and TV3 had to show their matches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Nope as primary broadcaster in Ireland they would contractually have to show Dundalks game and would also be obliged to be host broadcaster for the continent wide tv feed.

Oh, I thought they could get around that by letting eir broadcast it. Delighted for RTE.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Oat23 wrote: »
    What team do you support in the league and how is Dundalk going to help your club? I am interested to hear why exactly this will help and not hinder other teams.

I'm a Limerick fan. I know why people are saying its only good for Dundalk. My point is the profile of the league improves when sides like Dundalk and Cork are having good seasons in europe. It creates a buzz that isn't normally there. First up on Sports news this morning on an Olympic week is great to see and gives the league some decent exposure for once. Rather than the clown Delaney insulting the league or Irish football being known for its fans having a great time.

Do I think that the money will trickle down into the league? Not really. Do I care? Not really. Will this mean dundalk will win everything for a few years? Not really. I'm delighted that the league I support is front and center for today for all the right reasons. That is fantastic for the league regardless who you support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I hope Nugent & RugbyTE don't get the next Dundalk game too. Eir Sport's coverage is alot better & they actually seem to care about Irish football.
    https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/760204354041282561

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The country's coefficients are based on wins and draws, in the qualifiers and main competition. A club's coefficient is based on bonus points for round progression and wins and draws in the main competition earlier. It's calculated by adding the bonus points with 20% of the nation's coefficients.

Dundalk getting through to the playoff is great for their own coefficients, but they haven't actually hugely added to the league's ranking, because they've only won once and drawn twice. They've added 0.500 out of 1.750. That's marginally more than Pats (0.375) who went out in the second round and less than Cork City (.750) who will probably go out tomorrow night against Genk. It's much better for the league for more clubs to get through a round or two and win more games than for one team to progress far. The best we've had in the last few years was in 2014 (2.000), when not a single club got past the second round of either the EL or CL. But they won a lot of matches on the way (Derry won twice in the first round, Dundalk won three times, Sligo won twice and drew once). This season has seen a lot of draws, a couple of away goals progressions and no team has won both of their legs. So, whilst we've had a team going further in the CL and EL than 2014, we're still behind it. If Dundalk lose all their remaining eight games, they'll still have banked the €6M+ without having added anything major to the league's coefficient.

It would've been better for the league's coefficient had Dundalk beaten the Icelandics twice and gone out against BATE and if Pats had beaten the Luxembourg side away. This win will massively boost their profile, I'd imagine interest in their league games will spike. If they play the playoff and group stages in a limited capacity stadium, there'll be Dundalk locals who'll miss out or who might not travel to Dublin, but will want to get in on the action when they're playing in Oriel. If they got a big draw like Manchester United in the EL or Real Madrid in the CL, they could even bundle tickets with league games or make people buy a 2017 season ticket with it.

For the rest of the league, however? Will people suddenly start going out to see Wexford or Bohs or Sligo because Dundalk made it this far? No, they won't. It didn't happen when Shamrock Rovers did it. You might get a slight increase in interest when Dundalk themselves come to town, but that's once or twice a year, so negligible over a full season. There won't be much of a trickle down on transfers, because most of the league are out of contract at the end of every season, anyway, so Dundalk could take them without having to pay the club's a fee. I'd imagine they'd be bring in some talent from abroad, too. This will massively benefit one club and one club only. They won't give a sh*t about anyone else and, to be honest, neither would any of us if we were in their position. I want a competitive league when it isn't my team always winning. But I'd have no problem of the LoI being like the Belarussian League if Cork City were the BATE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Oh what a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Doesn't the main TV deal for the Champions League kick in from the next qualifying round anyway so RTE will have it by default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Eir have hit a home run with the European games that they've shown since the takeover. Committing to showing both legs of both Cork and Dundalk was ballsy enough with the chance that one or both of the ties could have been dead after the 1st leg.

Great to see them take an interest in the LOI and I hope it continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

eircom didn't care this much when it was the eircom league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

gimmick wrote: »
    Well because of the LOI clubs demand for a 40 week league its tough titty on Dundalk in that regard.

The league have been generous to Dundalk and CCFC in the postponements most certainly, but I know for a fact that CCFC asked to bring forward some games in April and May to avoid such congestion happening, but the LOI refused. Not sure why. I presume Dundalk would have made a similar request.

I think for the teams qualified for Europe that the 4 should satrt a week earlier and play each other, and allows that to free up a weekend in the middle of European competition.

Did the league or the other club reject it? Our game v pats was jumped forward.

Agreed on the last part the league knows what clubs will be in Europe, they should aim to have 2 rounds of games free for these clubs.
    Also clubs having to move their weekend fixture to midweek to accommodate this. Crowds drop and while the top clubs make a fortune in Europe the lower clubs take a hit. We have had 2 home games in two months, while we should support the European clubs something does have to be done to reduce the campaigns effects on the league as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The other clubs agreed afaik. It was the FAI who rejected it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Also RTE: get your heads out of your ass and secure the rights to the Dundalk tie if you haven't already.

BT Sport will have the play off games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Need to add the money (€3M I've read) for getting to the playoff round of the CL before dropping down into the EL. So the minimum is definitely around €5.4M with possibilities of more..
    Cheers for the clarification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Nice to see opposition LOI sides congratulating Dundalk on their success.

It sets the bar for other teams to aspire to. Cork winning against Genk will top off a remarkable week. All started off in the Brandywell Monday night - no offence to Derry :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

overshoot wrote: »
    on the money...
    champions league
    First Qualifying Round: €200,000
    Second Qualifying Round: €300,000
    Third Qualifying Round: €400,000 (so plus 900k so far)
    Play-offs Eliminated: €3,000,000
    Play-offs Winners: €2,000,000
    Base fee for group stage: €12,000,000

Europe League
    Base fee for group stage: €2,400,000
    Group match victory: €360,000
    Group match draw: €120,000
    Group winners: €500,000
    Group runners-up: €250,000

Straight out in the next round and groups without a point would be another €5.4 million or €6.3million total as a worst case scenario. (ignoring match revenue)

Those figures for qualifying rounds for the winners of each round yeah, but don't the losers of each round get money too, and if so how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Those figures for qualifying rounds for the winners of each round yeah, but don't the losers of each round get money too, and if so how much?

The figures are for qualifying to that round, both clubs get the same, the winner also gets the next rounds money

The figures are for qualifying to that round, both clubs get the same, the winner also gets the next rounds money

So the loser of round 1 qualifying gets €200k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Yep qualifying only... Altho for the next round it is split winners and losers. The winners (2 million) get less than the losers (3 million) for that actual game but then go onto pick up 12million for being in the cl groups while the losers will get 2.4million added for the EL groups

So the loser of round 1 qualifying gets €200k

Yes, both teams get that for making rnd 1

• Advertisement

Yes, both teams get that for making rnd 1

So dundalk have earned €700k for winning 2nd and 3rd round so far?

Olympiacos look to be exiting the competition. Hopefully they wont draw Celtic

So dundalk have earned €700k for winning 2nd and 3rd round so far?

They get the 1st round money aswel i believe so 900k so far, but you can also add 3m to that as that will be the minimum from the next round if they lose

Celtic game 1-1. Possibly might go to ET

Celtic through 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Updated Seeding not official

Seeded teams coef.
    Viktoria Plzen Cze 44.585
    FC Salzburg Aut 42.520
    Celtic Sco 40.460
    APOEL Nicosia Cyp 35.935
    Legia Warsaw Pol 28.000

Unseeded teams coef.
    Dinamo Zagreb Cro 25.775
    Ludogorets Razgrad Bul 25.625
    FC København Den 24.720
    Hapoel Beer-Sheva Isr (10.575)
    Dundalk Irl (5.750)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If they are going to go through and make the big money, I hope they at least do it against Celtic. I would enjoy seeing Dundalk beat them at the Aviva in front of an Irish crowd where the majority are supporting Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

They get the 1st round money aswel i believe so 900k so far, but you can also add 3m to that as that will be the minimum from the next round if they lose

The first, second and third round prizes are based on appearance. If you get a bye, you don't get the money from that round. So, because Dundalk weren't in the first round, they won't get that money. All teams knocked out before the CL group stages get a solidarity payment of €250,000, though. They got €550,000 last season for being knocked out in the second round.

Also, it was announced about a week ago that money for the CL qualifiers for this season would be increased by €20,000 per round (€15,000 for the EL). I'm not sure about the playoffs, although €20k compared to €2M-3M is fairly negligible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If they are going to go through and make the big money, I hope they at least do it against Celtic. I would enjoy seeing Dundalk beat them at the Aviva in front of an Irish crowd where the majority are supporting Celtic.

Celtic would be the best draw possible, travel would be fine, and I honestly believe would have a good chance of knocking them out, Celtic not that good.

Dundalk beating Celtic at the Aviva full of Irish fans wearing Celtic jerseys would be absolutely fantastic !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

It would be great if it was Celtic, but you would hope that the Irish crowd would get behind the IRISH team playing a SCOTTISH team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Celtic would be the best draw possible, travel would be fine, and I honestly believe would have a good chance of knocking them out, Celtic not that good.

Dundalk beating Celtic at the Aviva full of Irish fans wearing Celtic jerseys would be absolutely fantastic !

Jewish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Dundalk beating Celtic at the Aviva full of Jewish fans wearing Celtic jerseys would be absolutely fantastic !

what the..? what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

edgecutter wrote: »
    It would be great if it was Celtic, but you would hope that the Irish crowd would get behind the IRISH team playing a SCOTTISH team.

They would be there in their tens of thousands supporting Celtic, no doubt about it.

what the..? what?

Bad typing/autocorrect, quickly fixed...but not fast enough:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Could see a big "away" crowd in Dublin if they draw Legia Warsaw as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bad typing/autocorrect, quickly fixed...but not fast enough:D

Thought you were taking the Mujahideen thing a bit literally ;)

I was thinking that, but would you possibly get 'rival' polish fans aswell?
    Also legia are a very good side, would much prefer celtic

Updated Seeding not official

Seeded teams coef.
    Viktoria Plzen Cze 44.585
    FC Salzburg Aut 42.520
    Celtic Sco 40.460
    APOEL Nicosia Cyp 35.935
    Legia Warsaw Pol 28.000

Unseeded teams coef.
    Dinamo Zagreb Cro 25.775
    Ludogorets Razgrad Bul 25.625
    FC København Den 24.720
    Hapoel Beer-Sheva Isr (10.575)
    Dundalk Irl (5.750)

No real massively bad draws there. Salzburg are not as good as they were 2 or 3 seasons ago as most of Red Bulls funding is going to Leipzig now and they havent started the Austrian League season particularly well. Although they did get through 3-0 against Partizani. APOEL barely got through against Rosenberg with 3 goals in injury time and drew with TNS in Wales. Plzen got knocked out in the EL group stage last year by Rapid Vienna and only got through on away goals against Qarabag but they have had numerous CL group stage appeareances in recent years. Legia have sold their best player this season (Duda) and got past Trencin 1-0 last round.

Personally would prefer if Dundalk didnt draw Celtic. On the pitch it would be a tight one with Celtic possibly favourites but its more off the pitch with the idea of a load of Irish people supporting a Scottish club against an Irish club is offputting. Plus it would have all the making of a tie where the moment gets too much for the Dundalk players and they dont perform to their best.

IMO Plzen would be the main one to avoid and Legia would be their best chance of going through.

Did Dundalk's co-efficient just double after that win?

Anyway Salzburg the team to avoid. Celtic too as well as it would be a circus.

APOEL hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd also prefer if they avoided Celtic to be honest. I'd also rather they kept the tie in Tallaght. They're gonna make money regardless, they might as well shoot for the CL and play in a packed out Tallaght than 20-25,000 in the Aviva. Gonna be a fascinating draw on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Really great see an Irish side in the draw for the third round of the UCL. Well done Dundalk. Hopefully they get a good draw and make the UCL group stages. It would be a dream !

We have to get behind our League of Ireland sides and something has to be done about the stadia and facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

kksaints wrote: »

Personally would prefer if Dundalk didnt draw Celtic. On the pitch it would be a tight one with Celtic possibly favourites but its more off the pitch with the idea of a load of Irish people supporting a Scottish club against an Irish club is offputting. Plus it would have all the making of a tie where the moment gets too much for the Dundalk players and they dont perform to their best.

IMO Plzen would be the main one to avoid and Legia would be their best chance of going through.

Keeping the tie as low key as possible and allowing the players to concentrate on their football is important.

A Celtic tie would turn into a media and barstooler circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

If they got Celtic- I'd nearly go just to shout for Dundalk on principle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

They would be there in their tens of thousands supporting Celtic, no doubt about it.

It's be like Rocky IV, they'd all show up in their Celtic shirts but by the end they'll be cheering for the town.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Remember Celtic were the first Irish team to win the European Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Badabing wrote: »
    Remember Celtic were the first Irish team to win the European Cup

Always made me chuckle when they love to bring up how they were first "British" team to win it.

There was around 2000 Legia fans when we played them in Tallaght in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Did Dundalk's co-efficient just double after that win?

Anyway Salzburg the team to avoid. Celtic too as well as it would be a circus.

APOEL hopefully.

When they beat Hafnarfjardar they assumed their coefficient for the rest of the process.

Bar the Cypriot heat being a problem i'd go for Nicosia too.

I really hope Dundalk don't draw Celtic. The amount of Irish fans who would go to the match to support a British team would be less than savoury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Celtic would be too much of a circus and, as some have said, it could become too much of an event and Dundalk may not play up to their abilties. An Irish team has never had as clear a chance as Dundalk have now, an opponent they could just focus on the football for would be the best. Rather than the inevitable distracting hoopla playing Celtic would bring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I actually wouldn't mind a Celtic draw, as I genuinely think Dundalk could beat them.

Now that would be sweet.

Advertisement