Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hopefully Cork put up a big show tonight.

Match live on Eir Sport, should be a bit more interest following the success of Dundalk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hopefully Cork put up a big show tonight.

Match live on Eir Sport, should be a bit more interest following the success of Dundalk.

Eir must be delighted with their decision to cover the home and away games for Dundalk and city, really shows up rte

Nice day in cork today, hopefully it stays nice, rather than the constant downpour the last time. Cannot wait till tea time and the build up in the beer garden, really hope we go with the attitude of keeping it tight and waiting for the opportunities to arrive, which they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    ...really hope we go with the attitude of keeping it tight and waiting for the opportunities to arrive, which they will.

Judging by interviews with Caulfield and the players, that looks like the plan.

It is the right plan.

Genk look fairly dangerous on the break and Cork players need to be very careful about getting out of position.

Come the second half, Genk will tire. It was very obvious in last week's game that they are out of season and have not achieved full fitness.

Cork can get at them in the second half.

Good luck to Cork and I'll be cheering them on this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Really hope Cork can produce something tonight. They are not far off Dundalk and if they took a few lessons out of the Dundalk game about being patient and committed they could easily overturn this tie. Genk concede and they will be feeling the pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can't wait for tonight.

Very nervous, bit hopeful.

First goal is crucial, but would happily take 0-0 to HT and see what we are about in 2nd half

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Genk will target our right full again and rightly so. Very much the weak link. And if Beattie isn't there covering and protecting him we are in trouble.

Play like we did against Dundalk a few months ago with lightning counters is how we win this tonight.

Just please science do not let it go to pens. I'd prefer lose 0-3 in 90 minutes than go through that horror :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Best of luck to Cork tonight, think it might be a big ask but looking at Dundalks result anything is possible once the players have the right attitude,

As for the draw tomorrow, I think Dundalk Fans and Celtic (from footballing point of view) are mad to want each other, Fixture will be a circus and will be a banana skin for Celtic. Much rather see both teams qualify.

major bill wrote: »
    As for the draw tomorrow, I think Dundalk Fans and Celtic (from footballing point of view) are mad to want each other, Fixture will be a circus and will be a banana skin for Celtic. Much rather see both teams qualify.
    Would be a pain if they faced each other, 30k Celtic fans at the Dundalk home game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

major bill wrote: »

Well from a purely footballing point of view of course Celtic want Dundalk and i imagine the reverse is true but as you say it will be a circus so hope they avoid each other and both go through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Eir must be delighted with their decision to cover the home and away games for Dundalk and city, really shows up rte

Nice day in cork today, hopefully it stays nice, rather than the constant downpour the last time. Cannot wait till tea time and the build up in the beer garden, really hope we go with the attitude of keeping it tight and waiting for the opportunities to arrive, which they will.

Might see you in there. It really does show up RTÉ, they wouldn't show any LoI only for the FAI's insistence. I think Cork have a much better chance tonight than Dundalk did on Tuesday. Cork should have got an away goal last week and that unfortunately could be the difference.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Best of luck to Cork tonight. As a few others have said if you asked me at the start of the week who had a better chance of going through I would have said Cork over Dundalk. Playing in front of a packed Turners Cross will surely fire them up enough anyway but whether that's enough is a different story, it would be such an amazing week if they were to win tonight as well.

Not sure who I would want Dundalk to get in the draw tomorrow, I would probably say Celtic as I think they have the best chance of taking them on the pitch, most of the others have done quite well in Europe over the last few years, Viktoria Plzen knocked Shaktar out of the Europa League knockout stages 2 years ago, APOEL are also regulars in the group stages of the CL/EL. I would be worried if Celtic were to play in the Aviva how many gob****es would go to cheer on Celtic but that would make the victory all the sweeter, the fear is that it would get to the Dundalk players too much who would not be used to playing in front of crowds that size at all.

There isn't much separating the 5 teams Dundalk could potentially get, but having said that I would think most of them are probably of similar standard to BATE.

Cork 5/1 to progress to the next round. Very generous odds IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/761240202597789697

Our upcoming UEFA Champions League match will take place at the @AVIVAStadium! More to follow shortly!
    The Football Association of Ireland has arranged for Dundalk FC to play their landmark UEFA Champions League Play-Off Round qualifier at the Aviva Stadium.
    4th Aug 2016

The FAI will provide the SSE Airtricity League club with administrational and operational assistance, in the running of the game, to cater for the club's every need, at no financial benefit to the FAI.

The Association has begun a process of communication around the game with Dundalk, which includes the scheduling of domestic fixtures.

Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny praised the FAI for their help in the build-up to their recent UEFA Champions League qualifiers and for their commitment of assistance around the next game at Aviva Stadium.

"The flexibility that the FAI have showed around League fixtures amongst the four clubs involved in Europe has helped the players recover adequately and that is important strategically when trying to reach your optimum level," said Kenny.

"Ger Dunne and his video analysis team, who have worked closely with our assistant manager, Vinny Perth, have helped us to prepare for our two previous opponents BATE Borisov and FH.

"We're delighted that our next game will be at the Aviva Stadium. The players want to play on the biggest stage and in the national stadium. What we dream of in this League to play in the Aviva Stadium and to have it full - that does not happen very often.

"We experienced playing there with the FAI Cup Final last year so it is great to get to play in the Aviva Stadium again. We are very appreciative of the FAI's help in that regard."

The FAI will supply logistical support in the form of experienced staff to work with the staging of the game across operations, safety & security, ticketing, facilities, communications, hospitality & catering, and logistics.

The Lilywhites will discover their next opponents in tomorrow's draw with the two-legged tie to be played later this month. The first leg will be played on either August 16 or 17 and the second leg on August 23 or 24.

FAI Director of Competitions Fran Gavin said it was important that everything that the club needed from a venue perspective was in place to help Dundalk prepare for one of the biggest occasions in its history.

"Dundalk's achievement in reaching the UEFA Champions League Play-Off Round should not be underestimated and they deserve tremendous credit for how they have conducted themselves on and off the pitch," said Gavin.

"We want to help the club to prepare in the best possible way to keep their great run in the competition going and we will arrange for everything to be in place with the Aviva Stadium as a home venue for Dundalk.

"The FAI has already been offering technical support to Stephen Kenny's team in the form of expert video analysis. We are now delighted to help the club stage their next game at the Aviva Stadium and give them the full support of our professional staff.

"The FAI remains committed to working with the SSE Airtricity League clubs towards a new pathway and the recent announcement of supplying funding for strategic business planning is one part of that.

"Assisting SSE Airtricity League clubs is a priority for the Association, by ways of example, whether that is in helping Bohemians with the redevelopment of Dalymount Park, Cork City and the Glanmire Centre of Excellence, or Wexford Youths and the securing of Ferrycarrig Park for Irish domestic football.

"I would encourage all supporters of Irish football to make their way to the Aviva Stadium and get behind Dundalk for what will be a very special night."

The FAI would also like to wish Cork City its full support ahead of tonight's UEFA Europa League qualifiers against KRC Genk in Turner's Cross.

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-arranges-aviva-stadium-for-dundalk-to-host-ucl-qualifier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I really, really hope it's not Celtic now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wonder whats the plan going to be if its not Celtic? Close the upper tier and €10 tickets maybe? Because if its not Celtic they havent a hope of filling the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not Tallaght? Suddenly the FAI care about the league!

Might get a bigger crowd, but would still be comparable to a Cup Final, unless they get Celtic, which would kinda prefer they didn't. A full Tallaght will look better on the telly, and possibly better support and noise, compared to a half empty Lansdowne.

Plus isn't Tallaght already suitable for CL Playoffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

kksaints wrote: »
    Wonder whats the plan going to be if its not Celtic? Close the upper tier and €10 tickets maybe? Because if its not Celtic they havent a hope of filling the ground.

I think Legia is the only other game that could pull in a sizeable away crowd, il be there along with many other LOI fans and even lapsed fans in work that haven't being to LOI in years have said they would go if it's the Aviva!! For me this is a bigger game than Deportivos visit in 03, Dundalk actually have a decent chance of progress! Maybe won't get the 50,000 but could easily pull in 30,000 with any of the other fixtures it all depends on 1st or 2nd leg and result if they away first

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Will this Cork game be on anything else? Don't have eir

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Not Tallaght? Suddenly the FAI care about the league!

Might get a bigger crowd, but would still be comparable to a Cup Final, unless they get Celtic, which would kinda prefer they didn't. A full Tallaght will look better on the telly, and possibly better support and noise, compared to a half empty Lansdowne.

According to Daniel McDonnell they didn't have much choice.

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/761250183225147393

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Afraid not. UEFA gave Dundalk the option of Thomond in Limerick. Not really much of a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Will this Cork game be on anything else? Don't have eir

Laola1 an Austrian tv channel is showing it, so I'm assuming this is within the rules.
    No commentary.

Here

Cork one down.

Decent finish.

@sidelinedotie: Cork City team to play Genk: McNulty, McSweeney, Bennett, Browne, O'Connor; Bolger, Buckley, Morrissey, Beattie, Dooley, Maguire #UEL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Big ask now for Cork.

Both their goals have come down the left after errors in the middle of the pitch.

Last week a bad pass. This week the Cork lad caught in two minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Feck . Very very poor defending, Cork have been the better team but that was bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Afraid not. UEFA gave Dundalk the option of Thomond in Limerick. Not really much of a choice.

Even if they added temp facilities to it? Did Shams not use it 5 years ago?

Everything down the Cork left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great atmosphere just pity it's now going be very tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Goalkeeper's playing dodge-ball i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

How is Maguire always so isolated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Bailey on the wing for Genk looks a serious player. Some pace and he's only 18

Two down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Cork getting absolutely butchered down the left side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Caulfield was on about keeping it tight in the build up to the game. They just haven't done that. They've allowed themselves to be caught on the break for all 3 goals.

Genk are really good side though. Playing counter attack football suits them down to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Genk just have too much pace in attack for Cork to deal with. Maguire and Dooley have look decent but Bolger dosent look fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Would be great to get Celtic at the Aviva. No matter who wins, we get a team in the knock-outs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

corny wrote: »
    Caulfield was on about keeping it tight in the build up to the game. They just haven't done that. They've allowed themselves to be caught on the break for all 3 goals.

Genk are really good side though. Playing counter attack football suits them down to the ground.

Theyve been bad but its 2-0, not 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Theyve been bad but its 2-0, not 3.

3 goals over the two legs.

Cork stood off Genk in the first half.

Keeping it tight does not mean giving players five yards of space on the ball.

Bolger was very poor in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bolger not being fit left way too much space in between the lines. Genk had too much pace for Cork's defence too. Cork done ok overall though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Disappointing to lose. Our first half performance was just awful. We didn't get a tackle in and stood off them way too much. McSweeney was shown up time and time again

Much better second half. Got stuck in a bit and Sullivan had a very good impact.

Thought the ref gave some very strange decisions, I think we lost every 50/50 call

Ah well, we'll just have to settle for the league!!!

Disappointing to lose. Our first half performance was just awful. We didn't get a tackle in and stood off them way too much. McSweeney was shown up time and time again

Much better second half. Got stuck in a bit and Sullivan had a very good impact.

Thought the ref gave some very strange decisions, I think we lost every 50/50 call

Ah well, we'll just have to settle for the league!!!

I lost count of the number of times Maguire was fouled and didn't get a free.

Your right side was a problem, Beattie didn't exactly bust himself to help McSweeney in the first half.

When you got more physical with them, they coudn't handle it.

Still, there is no shame in getting through two rounds in Europe, and you always have the league in your back pocket ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Absolutely bizarre that the FAI, up to their eyes in debt, say they aren't gonna benefit financially from hosting the Dundalk game at Lansdowne.

Dundalk have over €5M minimum coming into them. Surely the FAI should be charging them 20-30% of the gate receipts and tv money, and then they can redistribute that between other clubs around the country at various levels. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I realised I've only been to one LOI match. Galway Und at Terryland Park.

Two little scobes started fighting and a crowd gathered round them so I just left.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Absolutely bizarre that the FAI, up to their eyes in debt, say they aren't gonna benefit financially from hosting the Dundalk game at Lansdowne.

Dundalk have over €5M minimum coming into them. Surely the FAI should be charging them 20-30% of the gate receipts and tv money, and then they can redistribute that between other clubs around the country at various levels. :confused:

They would in their fúck. They would pocket the money themselves !!

mansize wrote: »

Two little scobes started fighting and a crowd gathered round them so I just left.

You should really go to a premier lge match, much more organised fighting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mansize wrote: »

I assume you don't go to any football matches so?

Or step out of your home if that's enough to make you leave somewhere.

You should really go to a premier lge match, much more organised fighting!!

I think they were in the Premier League, unless you mean the BPL, and Ive seen no fighting at that. A lot of unsavoury language mind...

SantryRed wrote: »
    I assume you don't go to any football matches so?

Or step out of your home if that's enough to make you leave somewhere.

Does there be many fights?? Just not my thing, two young lads beating lumps out of each other while the mob encourages them. I went to watch soccer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement