Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

How many Legia fans do you think would show? How would the tickets be sold to them actually? Can the FAI sell "away" tickets without going through the away club?

I'd imagine tickets will go on open sale in Ireland with a lot of polish fans buying them and passing them onto travelling supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Think its a bit of a bollox of a draw for Dundalk tbh, Legia are a really good side and wont in a million years roll over like BATE did. Apoel or Celtic would have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Are Legia the crowd who went out of Europe to Celtic after beating them 6-1 on aggregate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'd imagine tickets will go on open sale in Ireland with a lot of polish fans buying them and passing them onto travelling supporters

Unfortunately I agree. Would, of been my last choice bar Copenhagen. Decent team, certainly on paper better than anything our league has! Plus home advantage is kind of gone in terms of fan support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

gimmick wrote: »
    Are Legia the crowd who went out of Europe to Celtic after beating them 6-1 on aggregate?

Yep. Played an ineligible player for 4 minutes and the result was overturned to a 3-0 to Celtic who got through and then went out to Maribor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bate were in the middle of their season (16 games) 10 points clear & big CL experience from last season. Legia have only just started their season (3 games,5 points) & had a pretty easy route to this round. I think Dundalk have a great chance to progress even though it will be tough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tough draw. I still think Dundalk are good enough to go through though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm sorry but there is a load of crap being posted since the draw.

1. I'm not sure how it is a really bad draw? They're playing the polish champions, a team who beat the Slovakian champions 1-0 over two legs to make this round. They've lost their best player Duda to Hertha Berlin over the summer. BATE would definitely be a stronger side than Legia are.

2. People are completely and utterly overplaying the Polish element in Dublin that will turn off. I see suggestions of 60:40 in Dundalk's favour? What a load of nonsense. I'd be majorly surprised if there's not at least 15,000 at the Aviva, but id expect more if priced accordingly, and I can't see more than a max of 3,000 polish fans.

Seriously, due to the **** storm that getting Celtic would have caused and the potential to effect Dundalk, this is the team they would have wanted. The lowest seeded team in the pot! Obviously it's a tough draw, it's the play off round for the Champions Leahue but it's the best draw possible.

This is the best opportunity an Irish side is ever going to have at making the Champions League group stage. It's a great draw!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

My downstairs neighbour is a Legia fan. Should be fun.

Saw their first leg away to Trencin. They weren't great but at the same time, they were relatively comfortable and won 1-0. Main threat up front is Nemanja Nikolics.
    First leg in Dublin? A clean sheet would be priceless if they can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its absolutely the best chance an Irish team has and likely will have for some time to progress.

They were never going to be Bookie's favourites no matter who they got but still.

I can see there being a fair few Polish fans though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'm sorry but there is a load of crap being posted since the draw.

1. I'm not sure how it is a really bad draw? They're playing the polish champions, a team who beat the Slovakian champions 1-0 over two legs to make this round. They've lost their best player Duda to Hertha Berlin over the summer. BATE would definitely be a stronger side than Legia are.

2. People are completely and utterly overplaying the Polish element in Dublin that will turn off. I see suggestions of 60:40 in Dundalk's favour? What a load of nonsense. I'd be majorly surprised if there's not at least 15,000 at the Aviva, but id expect more if priced accordingly, and I can't see more than a max of 3,000 polish fans.

Seriously, due to the **** storm that getting Celtic would have caused and the potential to effect Dundalk, this is the team they would have wanted. The lowest seeded team in the pot! Obviously it's a tough draw, it's the play off round for the Champions Leahue but it's the best draw possible.

This is the best opportunity an Irish side is ever going to have at making the Champions League group stage. It's a great draw!

+1 Legia's record in europe last 2 seasons nowhere near that of Bate, they were a good side against Pats, but Pats were really poor in the second leg and this Dundalk side are a much better team, no game at this stage is gonna be easy with the money riding on it but by far not the worst draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The thing with the Champions League champions route is that it starts off quite hard in the round LoI teams enter. It gets a bit harder in the third round with the addition of the likes of Czech and Greek teams and previously low seeded teams either becoming unseeded or being eliminated altogether (Iceland, Hungary etc.). That's really as as bad as it gets. With no new teams being added for the playoffs, it doesn't get any tougher. The last two years, the LoI representatives played BATE and Legia in the round they entered. This year, Dundalk got them in the 3rd round and the playoff. What stands between them and a place in the group stages is a team that they could've gotten in the 2nd round instead of the Icelandic crowd.

It shows how much potential there is in the Champions League. If you're good enough to get through one round, you're not far from being good enough to get to the group stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

If there progress, they get €2 million and then another €11 million for just being in the group stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Dundalk are still massive underdogs for this game, but what a great night it will be. Any info on when tickets go on sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Has anyone figured out how uefa make a simple thing like a draw so bloody complicated :confused:

Not the worst draw for Dundalk fingers crossed they can put up a good showing

Fair enough on the tickets, thought UEFA would have restrictions on sourcing tickets etc. for security reasons and that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not a bad draw for Dundalk, they seem to have a few internationals including one or two who played at the Euros this summer. Their main striker Nikolic scored 28 goals last season so I'm presuming he will be one to watch. I think most teams who they could have drawn were of a similar standard to BATE so nothing to fear but they will be underdogs. I'd say there will be a decent amount of Polish in the Aviva, apparently around 2,000 of them in Richmond when they played Pats two years ago so I'd say we can expect at least double that. Would a crowd of around 20,000 be a fair guess at what to expect in the Aviva? It would be great to see all LOI fans turn up and get behind Dundalk. I wonder would Irish rail run an additional train service from Dublin to Dundalk on the night of the match? Might be a bit easier for them to get there than Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Fair enough on the tickets, thought UEFA would have restrictions on sourcing tickets etc. for security reasons and that.

What's the ticket situation?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ah what a week that was. The best manager in the league along with his brilliant team providing us Dundalk fans with enough memories to last a lifetime. Robbie Benson's goal has instantly become one of my all time favourite sporting moments.

On to the final play off round now and it's a tad disappointing that we are away for the second leg. Obviously the main job is to ensure we don't concede in the first leg and take it from there. Hard to predict how many will turn up to the game. I'd imagine anywhere between 10,000 and 15,000 Dundalk supporters with maybe a few thousand Poles and a few thousand neutrals. So maybe around the 20,000 mark. Could be way off though. Have seen people mention figures of 30,000+ but that seems big to me.

Anyway, atmosphere should be buzzing and although we're up against it again you have to give us a chance if we can reproduce the form we showed in that blistering second half performance in Tallaght. Regardless of what happens from here on in it's time to build a statue of Stephen Kenny and put it in the centre of Market Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I'd imagine it'll be on ticketmaster? It's not often they'll be a Irish team in the CL playoff. Surely they'll be a big crowd for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Legia will bring a very big following from Poland and will receive big support from the many Legia fans here, all Irish football fans should lend their allegiance to Dundalk for the night to try ensure they have the vocal support to make history...... wear your Bohs, Rovers, Pats, Celtic, United, Liverpool or Chelsea jersey on the night but put your heart into supporting Dundalk. North men, South men , comrades all!! Lets show we are the best supporters in the world yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Legia will bring a very big following from Poland and will receive big support from the many Legia fans here, all Irish football fans should lend their allegiance to Dundalk for the night to try ensure they have the vocal support to make history...... wear your Bohs, Rovers, Pats, Celtic, United, Liverpool or Chelsea jersey on the night but put your heart into supporting Dundalk. North men, South men , comrades all!! Lets show we are the best supporters in the world yet again.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Nah your grand. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I will. Don't mind the others, they're grand as they say :)

When are tickets available for home leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It seems Dundalk are in for a massive windfall and profile exposure but what will they do with it?

LoI clubs have a terrible reputation when it comes to finances. Will they use the money any more wisely than Bohs or Rovers have done with cash injections in the past?

It should be the case that the football association could provide sound financial advice and support but the FAI are the most incompetent eijets of them all.

A millionaire fan taking on a club is probably the best chance to inject cash, supervise it to be used effectively and invigorate the league over a longer period rather than one club qualifying for Europa League group stages once in a blue moon and blowing the money within a year or two with nothing to show for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I imagine Dundalk's main aim in the long term will be to sort out Oriel.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

When are tickets available does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nalz wrote: »
    When are tickets available does anyone know?

Don't think it's been announced yet but probably fairly soon now that we know the opposition.

North men, South men , comrades all!! Lets show we are the best supporters in the world yet again.

It was the combo of the line from the Wolfe Tones song with the "best fans" line that got me...right in the feels.

If you're any LOI fan it would be hard to ignore going to a game of this magnitude. Dundalk really need the numbers too to actually cover the costs of using the Aviva for the night. Wasnt it something like 25k at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Irish_rat wrote: »
    If you're any LOI fan it would be hard to ignore going to a game of this magnitude. Dundalk really need the numbers too to actually cover the costs of using the Aviva for the night. Wasnt it something like 25k at least.

Why LOI of other clubs, what about all those fans who went on a jolly up following Ireland in France, why would I as Derry fan go support Dundalk and a manager who went for a job interview in Scotland when Derry were in the running for a league title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Why LOI of other clubs, what about all those fans who went on a jolly up following Ireland in France, why would I as Derry fan go support Dundalk and a manager who went for a job interview in Scotland when Derry were in the running for a league title.
    As a Derry fan you should have murals of Stephen Kenny in your sitting room, call all your children Stephen or Kenny (boy or girl) and thank him every single day for giving you the best days of your life as a football supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lot of these players aren't used to playing on front of a full stadium aka 25+ thousand supporters. I'll be criticised for saying this but maybe a modest support would take the pressure off them :-D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Lot of these players aren't used to playing on front of a full stadium aka 25+ thousand supporters. I'll be criticised for saying this but maybe a modest support would take the pressure off them :-D!

If anything it would empower you, no?

Anyway, yhey handled it fine at the Cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Any idea/estimate of ticket prices? Would like to go and support an Irish team for Europe but I'm a cheapskate. Hope they do it, even if they get smashed in the champions league groups it would be great to have an Irish team in it.

Pighead wrote: »
    As a Derry fan you should have murals of Stephen Kenny in your sitting room, call all your children Stephen or Kenny (boy or girl) and thank him every single day for giving you the best days of your life as a football supporter.

Pity he threw it all away that winter when instead of concentrating on the league he was off in Scotland but fair dews for looking to advance his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/763021061780807680

Delighted to confirm that @DundalkFC's Champions League adventure will continue on the eir Sport pack! #LOIinEurope

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/763021061780807680

Delighted to confirm that @DundalkFC's Champions League adventure will continue on the eir Sport pack! #LOIinEurope

Well of course they were always going to be on. BT are contracted to show all play off games

The page is up on Ticketmaster now with tickets on sale tomorrow at 10am.

Price range is 10-30 euro. Surely they won't open the upper tier unless it's needed? I'm hoping it's 10 euro into the ground and 30 euro in the premium stand. Anything else is a bad move.

Pricing of €10 to €30 for a Champions League play off is great value and very fair. It was €20 into the Tallaght Stadium last Tuesday and it was the best value for money I have ever spent at a football match (and I am not even a Dundalk fan!!)
    After the performance of Dundalk against BATE Borisov they deserve a full house at the Aviva next wednesday and nothing less, I really hope this game over the next week captures the imagination of the Irish football public.
    No matter what club you normally follow lend your support to the Lilywhites for the night.

• Advertisement

Very good pricing and great to see they're gonna just have the lower tier open until necessary. It will create a better atmosphere to spur them on. Will hopefully make it over myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Nearly tempted to make the trip from Sligo myself for that price.

Lower Tier holds 19,500, would be disappointing if the Crowd was not big enough to open the upper tier, hopefully a chance to witness Irish football history

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

I'm not a Dundalk fan, but I'll go and support them as an Irish man

All aboard :-)

empty_bandwagon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conroym7

Delighted about the ticket prices, hopefully gets a few more on the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Lower Tier holds 19,500, would be disappointing if the Crowd was not big enough to open the upper tier, hopefully a chance to witness Irish football history
    Premium on top of that would bring the capacity up a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm not a Dundalk fan, but I'll go and support them as an Irish man

I've never forgiven them for the whole Jeff McNamara signing and then beating us (Waterford Utd) in the Relegation/Promotion playoff in 1997 :P But I think I'll go along to this, it's the one night where Irish fans should put club allegiances aside and get behind Dundalk. Fair play to them also for the reasonably priced tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I'm a casual Shamrock Rovers fan(go to about 2 games a season). I'm gonna try get to this and hopefully bring a few people with me that wouldn't normally go to LOI games. Hopefully if they enjoy it i can use it to convince them to go to more rovers games with me.

Advertisement