Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

City win 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A good 1-0 away win for Cork. Rovers 2 down at home though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Shams 2-0 down now. Going to be difficult for them.

Great win for City though. An away goal up is great going into the home leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Rovers were absolutely shocking last night. Shaw completely isolated up front, nothing really happened until McCabe came on.

I haven't seen the fans abuse the players this much in years

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Rovers were absolutely shocking last night. Shaw completely isolated up front, nothing really happened until McCabe came on.

I haven't seen the fans abuse the players this much in years

Brennan had something on twitter about his girlfriend and kid being abused by the fans.

Fenlon has to be under serious pressure now you'd think.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Less than 2000 at the Rovers game last night. Where are all their fans gone?

Brennan had something on twitter about his girlfriend and kid being abused by the fans.

Fenlon has to be under serious pressure now you'd think.

Yeah, Brennan got serious abuse. Disgraceful carry on from some people, it's only a game of football at the end of the day.

And lots of people are calling for Fenlon to be sacked, I actually don't think he's doing a terrible job with the squad he has assembled but last night was shambolic.

howiya wrote: »
    Less than 2000 at the Rovers game last night. Where are all their fans gone?

In the last 3-4 seasons the style of play has been horrendous, with no signs of improving. Fans have been dropping off every single week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

And lots of people are calling for Fenlon to be sacked, I actually don't think he's doing a terrible job with the squad he has assembled but last night was shambolic.
    In the last 3-4 seasons the style of play has been horrendous, with no signs of improving. Fans have been dropping off every single week.
    Are you not contradicting yourself here? You don't think Fenlon should be sacked yet you say that his team's style of play is horrendous and shows no sign of improving. The guy has been in the hot seat for two years now. I know he inherited a bit of a mess but surely two years later his side should be showing some improvements?

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Are you not contradicting yourself here? You don't think Fenlon should be sacked yet you say that his team's style of play is horrendous and shows no sign of improving. The guy has been in the hot seat for two years now. I know he inherited a bit of a mess but surely two years later his side should be showing some improvements?

Yeah, bit of a contradiction. By 'improving' I meant the entertainment aspect. Despite the boring games he's still got Rovers back into the top 3 and back into Europe. It doesn't seem like he's very ambitious right now but just happy to try keeping Rovers in Europe for budget reasons.

I don't think he's doing a great job, just not a terrible one.

Yeah, bit of a contradiction. By 'improving' I meant the entertainment aspect. Despite the boring games he's still got Rovers back into the top 3 and back into Europe. It doesn't seem like he's very ambitious right now but just happy to try keeping Rovers in Europe for budget reasons.

I don't think he's doing a great job, just not a terrible one.
    Jesus, standards slipping at Rovers it seems. Wasn't too long ago they sacked Stephen Kenny after a few months in the job for not delivering immediate results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Would you go to another match at Richmond Park?

It wasn't a great game. Pats are much poorer than they have been in a number of years, I wouldn't be surprised if Jeunesse Esch get through the tie.

Yeah I would. Don't know why I haven't been before. But seeing all those Irish fans at euro 2016 made me wonder why don't support our local teams more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Heard a whisper that Fenlon will be gone by the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Heard a whisper that Fenlon will be gone by the end of the day.

16u23x.jpg

A relatively abrupt departure compared to Croly. Who's next to take over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Tony Cousins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Our match starts in about half an hour. One change from last week with Timlin in instead of Graham Kelly. Will be a tense few hours but hopefully we can go through to the next round. COYS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Any online coverage of the game?

Any online coverage of the game?

Doesnt appear to be. Just the uefa.com text commentary.

1-0 Jeunesse.

Edit:YESSSSS!!!! 1-1 Darren Dennehy.

Double Edit:2-1 Jeunesse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

2-1 Jeunesse again. 3 minutes to go.

Pat's ahead on away goal.

Good stuff Pats. Having seen the first leg I thought they could be in trouble this evening but it looks like they've got the job done. Assist for Treacy I see. He seems to be improving with each passing week.

All over! Well done Pats. Just about scraped through.

2-1 FT. We're through on away goals. Boy that was tense.

I reckon that will be an extra €210,000 for Pats for getting to the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Seemed to have been a lot harder than it should have been. Tie should have been over after half an hour in Dublin.

Belarus(Dinamo Minsk) or Latvia(Spartak Jurmala) next. Cant see us getting past either but still we're through and the extra money is much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

kksaints wrote: »
    Belarus(Dinamo Minsk) or Latvia(Spartak Jurmala) next. Cant see us getting past either but still we're through and the extra money is much appreciated.

A Latvian team should surely be beatable?

Poor result for the coefficient tonight though. You'd think they could have at least got a draw over there.

SantryRed wrote: »

Poor result for the coefficient tonight though. You'd think they could have at least got a draw over there.

Not after our performance against Skonto last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

SantryRed wrote: »
    kksaints wrote: »

Question about the coefficient. From what I can see here: http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/access2016.html

there doesn't seem to be any extra qualification places until one gets up to the 28th place. With Ireland currently 40th, it seems unlikely they'll ever make it to 28th, at least as the league stands at the moment.

So is there any other advantage to climbing the ranking (seedings or prize money or the like) if we don't make it to 28th?

• Advertisement

Lucena wrote: »
    Question about the coefficient. From what I can see here: http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/access2016.html

So is there any other advantage to climbing the ranking (seedings or prize money or the like) if we don't make it to 28th?

I think (could be wrong) a higher ranking would get our teams better seedings and the possibility of entering a club in the second or third qualifying round instead of the first.

Look at the teams who enter the 1st qualifying round of the Champions League, they are all from the countries with the lowest coefficients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lucena wrote: »

there doesn't seem to be any extra qualification places until one gets up to the 28th place. With Ireland currently 40th, it seems unlikely they'll ever make it to 28th, at least as the league stands at the moment.

The higher the Country ranking will help with club ranking but it also depends on the clubs individuals ranking too for seeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Fair play to Bert, still doing his thing after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Seemed to have been a lot harder than it should have been. Tie should have been over after half an hour in Dublin.

It was a lot harder because Pats are weaker than they have been in a good few years. In previous years playing the likes of Valetta, IBV etc. we were confident of at least getting through one qualifier. But last week's performance was poor, I can't see us getting past FK Spartaks or Dinamo Minsk.

Apparently Linfield have been hit with fines for sectarian chanting during their game against City last week. Not surprised really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers 1-1 in Finland just before HT, they had been 0-1 up.

It is without question the worst plastic pitch there has ever been, it's causing all sorts of problems for both teams.

Any coverage of the Linfield game online other than updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Any coverage of the Linfield game online other than updates?

Anyone?

I may have to match France and Germany instead.

Anyone?

I may have to match France and Germany instead.

Found audio commentary on Cork 96 FM website

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Declan Walsh ‏@deckie 12m12 minutes ago
    Cork City fans chanting at Linfield 'here for the passports, your only here for the passports'. Love it!

Linfield are doing much better than performance last week suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cork get there with a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Phew thank God for that.

Least we got through 1 round. Need improve though if beat Swedes but we have good recored against Swedish clubs

Hacken will be difficult I reckon. They managed to beat Sparta Prague last year though they're only mid table in their league at the moment. Given their in the middle of their season means theirs no match fitness advantage for City.

• Advertisement

There are no easy games if you get through the first round. Cork will need to up their performance and not be so wasteful in front of goal.

But they know that. The important thing is that they got though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

We made it so hard for ourselves, if anyone in the final third of the pitch could finish we'd be laughing. To be fair, Roy Carroll put in the best goalkeeping performance Iv ever seen at Turners Cross.

All that matters is we are through, the money is huge to LOI clubs. I dont think BK Hacken will be worried but if we get an away goal next week and keep the score to a minimum, anything can happen when we bring it back to the X. We have to invest in players now during the window, the injury list is once again unreal, every season its the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

That was an incredible struggle, Linfield are no great shakes and City made it tough for themselves.

Hopefully they can get a result next week to bring some chance back to the X. Linfield did put 11 behind the ball so I think the game will be more open against the Swedes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Irish_rat wrote: »
    That was an incredible struggle, Linfield are no great shakes and City made it tough for themselves.

Hopefully they can get a result next week to bring some chance back to the X. Linfield did put 11 behind the ball so I think the game will be more open against the Swedes

We shouldnt give a mid table Swedish team too much respect, I honestly think we can get through this round aswell, wheter JC believes the same is another thing, we struggled across the line against an out of season Linfield team. If we can get a score draw over there we have the advantage back at the Cross.

CHealy wrote: »
    We have to invest in players now during the window, the injury list is once again unreal, every season its the same.

I noticed that too. We have any hardly any injuries once again.

There is little or no fitness gap between the top two sides this year, arguably little or no quality gap, but injuries remains a significant difference.

Could it make the difference in a tight race?

• Advertisement
Advertisement