Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

A good friend is a Dundalk fan and close to the club was in Oriel Park today and send me a txt to say that sales have been incredibly strong and they now expect a crowd well north of 40,000 but believe the game could easily sell out such is the interest.
    Combination of factors I believe have created the interest, first and foremost the style and convincing nature of Dundalks win against BATE Borisov who are Group Stage regulars, the decision to move to the Aviva has further built the sense of occasion, the pricing is very fair, fans of other League of Ireland clubs rallying to the cause, strong Polish interest - here and from Legia fans travelling from Warsaw and the general Irish soccer public responding to the potential of history being made.
    Dundalk have also made it easy for their own fans in the town with a special train going direct from Dundalk to the Aviva, tickets sales are even being continued from Oriel Park tomorrow on a Sunday.
    If your thinking of going I'd suggest getting your tickets sooner rather than later, cannot wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You could add the successful Euro 2016 campaign to that list there Alfa also I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Handful of bottom tier tickets for sale on ticketmaster right now, haven't seen many of them available.

They're gone, looks like sales are going really really well. Jeesh now I really hope Fundalk get a good result :o

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Was talking to a lad who is part of the Dundalk back room team today, he said that as of today 32000 tickets had been sold. Not sure how accurate that is though. No tickets other than south stand upper available on Ticketmaster anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

cournioni wrote: »
    Was talking to a lad who is part of the Dundalk back room team today, he said that as of today 32000 tickets had been sold. Not sure how accurate that is though. No tickets other than south stand upper available on Ticketmaster anyway.

They are releasing them in block by block fashion. Started on east stand block 503, and moving around so I estimate about 40% upper tier sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    They are releasing them in block by block fashion. Started on east stand block 503, and moving around so I estimate about 40% upper tier sold

Will look good for TV too with the East Stand facing the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

SantryRed wrote: »
    Van.Bosch wrote: »

Will look good for TV too with the East Stand facing the camera.

Yeah, I'm sure that's no coincidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Managed to get my tickets for this on Friday. Can't wait to go up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

They're gone, looks like sales are going really really well. Jeesh now I really hope Fundalk get a good result :o

Has the league every had a showcase game like this.

While I'd really love a good result, it is also important that Dundalk put in a performance that shows the level of quality that can be found in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Omackeral wrote: »
    You could add the successful Euro 2016 campaign to that list there Alfa also I'd say.

And of course the atmosphere created by the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

While I'd really love a good result, it is also important that Dundalk put in a performance that shows the level of quality that can be found in the league.

The infamous Shamrock Rovers vs St. Pats game at the RDS post Italia 90 springs to mind.

22,000 in attendance.

Score : a drab 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dundalk have hopefully been saving themselves the last couple of league games.

2 poor league results heading into a big Euro tie, thats not unusual, even for Europes elite clubs. Let hope they were taking it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Eh yeah Shels Deportivo. Shels had a super team at the time.

Dundalk are as good a side but won't matter for anything if they can't reach the group stages. Only then would be classed as the greatest Irish club side of all time.

I think they have a good chance but need to keep it tight in the first leg as they will have scoring chances in the away leg. Bate are a better side then Legia

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Eh yeah Shels Deportivo. Shels had a super team at the time.

Dundalk are as good a side but won't matter for anything if they can't reach the group stages. Only then would be classed as the greatest Irish club side of all time.

I think they have a good chance but need to keep it tight in the first leg as they will have scoring chances in the away leg. Bate are a better side then Legia

Was it 24,000 people at the Deportivo game and then 2,000 at the next league game. Jaysis, Shels would kill for that second number this weather. That was a super Shelbourne team. Didn't they qualify to play Harchester United shortly after that sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No, they went bust iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So rte are showing the game then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I just want to know why people are surprised that the game is on RTE and TV3. Like BT Sport their contract starts at the play off round, and part of that is they have to show 1st a team from their Country, so if Dundalk do make it through TV3 have to show their Tuesday games and RTE have to show Wednesday games or they could be fined from UEFA

Ticketmaster now showing no tickets available for the match

Ticketmaster now showing no tickets available for the match

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/764910418439569412

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I just want to know why people are surprised that the game is on RTE and TV3. Like BT Sport their contract starts at the play off round, and part of that is they have to show 1st a team from their Country, so if Dundalk do make it through TV3 have to show their Tuesday games and RTE have to show Wednesday games or they could be fined from UEFA

I'm more surprised they didn't announce earlier they were showing it. I'm glad cos last one was on the free Eir sport one, didn't think this one was going to be.

In saying that, I don't want to see Peter Collins halfly taking an interest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Good to see ticket sales going strong, I wonder are FAI season tickets entitled to a ticket for this though, and are they counted in the number of tickets sold so far.

Bateman wrote: »
    Good to see ticket sales going strong, I wonder are FAI season tickets entitled to a ticket for this though, and are they counted in the number of tickets sold so far.

Season tickets aren't included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Great to see that ticket sales are going so well, a sell out would be incredible. The only tickets popping up for me on ticketmaster are upper tier behind the goals for €15, not great seats. Wonder would I be better off checking again tomorrow or is there a risk that it could actually sell out?

Great to see that ticket sales are going so well, a sell out would be incredible. The only tickets popping up for me on ticketmaster are upper tier behind the goals for €15, not great seats. Wonder would I be better off checking again tomorrow or is there a risk that it could actually sell out?

I doubt it will sell out and judging by how they're selling the tickets, if you hold off you might get half way line tickets in the West Stand come Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

No chance of it selling out unfortunately, I reckon the attendance will be around 35000.

justshane wrote: »
    No chance of it selling out unfortunately, I reckon the attendance will be around 35000.

The inaugural FAI Cup Final at the Aviva in 2010 had around 36,000 at it. I wonder could they top that and make it the biggest home based attendance this century for a competitive match featuring an LOI team. Going back to the 60's there was a few high 30k numbers and further back again, according to Wikipedia, Bohs vs Rovers in 1945 had 44,000 at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Omackeral wrote: »
    The inaugural FAI Cup Final at the Aviva in 2010 had around 36,000 at it. I wonder could they top that and make it the biggest home based attendance this century for a competitive match featuring an LOI team. Going back to the 60's there was a few high 30k numbers and further back again, according to Wikipedia, Bohs vs Rovers in 1945 had 44,000 at it!

I would love to see it. It would be even more impressive considering the cup final had two Irish teams at it while this only has one. Really would be an indication that the general public has a passing interest in the league and it can be tapped into if marketed right. Granted Ireland has a large Polish community.

Personally sick not to be living in or close to Ireland for this one. I remember playing Kilkenny in Oriel when we had about 400 fans at it and driving down to Waterford for a play off and beating them only for 3rd place Galway to get promoted, fai logic! Whoever can go, go and enjoy it :) imagine an Irish team in the champions league playing Real Madrid in a match that has actual points on offer! Hard to comprehend for me!

justshane wrote: »

I heard that Dundalk are expecting at minimum attendance of north of 40,000 with the rate of tickets sales and a sell out is a possibility. Only tickets available on ticketmaster are upper South Stand, i'm in the East Stand upper and that sold out on Thursday.
    Very little media coverage in the mainstream press over the last few days for such a huge sporting occasion which is disappointing considering the importance of the game.

Dundalk's programme cover for Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just tried ticket master now and none available.

Is it a sell out?

• Advertisement

Just tried ticket master now and none available.

Is it a sell out?

Not yet I dont think, for some reason they seem to be releasing tickets in blocks, waiting for each block to fill first, it was the same last night, they should release more blocks soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Not yet I dont think, for some reason they seem to be releasing tickets in blocks, waiting for each block to fill first, it was the same last night, they should release more blocks soon

You'd think an operation like ticketmaster could sort it to automatically release tickets for a new block when a block fills. Missing out on some sales no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah it's a bit awkward, went online on a few occasions today and they didn't have any tickets available. Ended up getting 3 in the south upper stand in block 516, are the Dundalk fans directly below us?

That match programme is absolutely brilliant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Watching this whets the appetite.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Oat23 wrote: »
    You'd think an operation like ticketmaster could sort it to automatically release tickets for a new block when a block fills. Missing out on some sales no doubt.

Holding back tickets helps build up the hype and prestige of the game. If people think it's hard to get tickets they are more likely to buy them when they see some available.

Holding back tickets helps build up the hype and prestige of the game. If people think it's hard to get tickets they are more likely to buy them when they see some available.

Hhmmmm interesting. Its as if you tell someone they can't have something then they will sell their grandmother to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Or more likely they will see there are none available on ticketmaster and assume there are none left, like the poster above did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Oat23 wrote: »
    Or more likely they will see there are none available on ticketmaster and assume there are none left, like the poster above did.

Artificial scarcity is a legitimate tactic when it comes to things like this. It's all about psychology and holding back supply to increase demand.

If a person can't buy tickets the first time around they'll almost always check again, and when they see some available they might even buy two or three, they'd be mad not to sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Interesting article, need translating but the money would have a big impact for Legia too but obviously not as much.

http://weszlo.com/2016/08/15/o-co-gra-legia-nieprawdopodobne-pieniadze-w-lidze-mistrzow/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Artificial scarcity is a legitimate tactic when it comes to things like this. It's all about psychology and holding back supply to increase demand.

If a person can't buy tickets the first time around they'll almost always check again, and when they see some available they might even buy two or three, they'd be mad not to sure ;)

In my own experience of sales, you never refuse a sale, this is an absolutely stupid tactic. People generally don't come back.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Blocks 517 and 518 online. Not a huge amount of tickets left in them either

Looking forward to this now.

Apparently 38000 sold as of last night. They are leaving it pretty late in the day to be deploying this tactic as the game is tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Grabbed 4 tickets yesterday for this. Really looking forward to it. Hopefully people watching at home will see what Irish football can be if it's supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

cournioni wrote: »
    Apparently 38000 sold as of last night. They are leaving it pretty late in the day to be deploying this tactic as the game is tomorrow.

It is more likely that they are trying to cap the attendance. The FAI were only expecting a partially opened stadium with a skeleton staff being deployed.

This game has now turned into a major event. Costs go up accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Chances of more lower tiers being released? Only the higher ones left on TM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Chances of more lower tiers being released? Only the higher ones left on TM

I think the lower tier may be sold out. Might be some available in Oriel but doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Any chance of finn being available tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Any chance of finn being available tomorrow

Apparently Finn and McEleney back training no idea if they will be ready though. Garland also back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Topic of conversation here. What division would Dundalk be capable of doing well in in England?

• Advertisement
Advertisement