Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This ref wouldn't fit into the LOI, doesn't like giving out cards. Could/should be be 4/5 for legia not given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Looking a lot more likely that Legia will get a 2nd here, Dundalk seem to have fallen apart since conceding

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Legia look more composed when creating chances. Dundalk only look like creating half chances unfortunately from what I've seen.

Penalty has rattled them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Under a decent bit of pressure now. Ref leniant towards Legia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Sorry, I thought it was 100% a peno. You can't turn your back as a blocking measure and have your arms away from your body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thought it was a peno as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How did the baldy lad not get a yellow after been strenuously warned after his fifth foul in the first half. Shocking refereeing!!

Harsh to award that peno.

The Ref had has an absolute shocker. 2 Legia players booked. Has had 7 or 8 opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That should have been a Dundalk penalty. The Legia fella made no attempt to play the ball

Despite what Kerr thinks, that was never a peno. Dundalk making a good effort in the last few minutes. Be great if they can level this up going to Poland

• Advertisement

Dundalk can feel very aggrieved here

Stevecw wrote: »
    Despite what Kerr thinks, that was never a peno. Dundalk making a good effort in the last few minutes. Be great if they can level this up going to Poland

Turning back to bump a player making no effort for the ball is a foul. It's soft, but it's stupid and should certainly be given.

Thought there was a definite contact there. Could have been a peno.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Legia pen, was shot going wide? Looked to be

Didn't think it was a peno either tbh.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Legia pen, was shot going wide? Looked to be

I think it was, would need to see again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

No intent to handle the ball. Never in a million years a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Game over

Oh no, that's game over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That's a killer blow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ah jesus that's a killer

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Thats so cruel for Dundalk don't deserve that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Tie over unfortunately. They gave a good account of themselves though in all respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Tie over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ah that's the sucker punch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

How do you let a side trying to run down the clock score again. Christ.

Aytekin let Legia get away with far too much tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

That was soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No disgrace in that.

Hopefully the ref won't be given another game for a while.

Poor from Dundalk at the end losing possession cheaply in the middle of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Delighted for Dundalk fans.

• Advertisement

Aw well Europa league it is so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Alias G wrote: »
    Delighted for Dundalk fans.

Y?

Bad second goal to give away. Impossible task for them in Warsaw.

O'Neil talking ****e.

Stephen Kenny tearing into the ref. Annoyed with his lads for the second, but placing serious doubt on the ref.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kenny not far off Michael Conlon in his post match rant about that penalty.

O'Neill now saying it was harsh. Make up your mind.

I wish Kenny had seen the penalty not given, he'd have exploded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Unbelievably weak refereeing by the referee who let Legia cynically slow down the play. 14 fouls in the first half and yet only one yellow card?! It was disgraceful.

Never a penalty either and I can't believe the ref booked him for that after letting so much else go.

2nd goal was European experience. Terribly easy goal to give away and McEleney should have heaved the centre mid down when he broke away. Ridiculous to let him run through.

That's a massive opportunity missed to make the CL. I don't think an Irish club will get as good an opportunity again. BATE would have beaten Legia comfortably over two legs for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

No luck tonight for Dundalk, penalty for Legia harsh, Dundalk should have had a certain penalty, they missed a good chance and then Legia get a late goal which to be fair was well taken. Dundalk did not play as well as they did against BATE Borisov with too many unforced errors which is a pity because Legia are no world beaters. Crowd of 30,500 decent but disappointing for a UEFA Champions League play-off in the Aviva, I was sitting in the East stand upper half the support were Irish based Poles cheering Legia. Not sure what was going with so many people late for the game, seats were filling 30 minutes after ko.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Yeah Legia not brilliant by any means. Aggressive defenders and they pressed the ball well at times but nothing eye catching about them.

Thought the big difference between the sides was fitness. Few Dundalk lads ran out of steam. Horgan looked shattered after an hour. They were still running side to side closing Dundalk down in the 90th minute by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

No luck tonight for Dundalk, penalty for Legia harsh, Dundalk should have had a certain penalty, they missed a good chance and then Legia get a late goal which to be fair was well taken. Dundalk did not play as well as they did against BATE Borisov with too many unforced errors which is a pity because Legia are no world beaters. Crowd of 30,500 decent but disappointing for a UEFA Champions League play-off in the Aviva, I was sitting in the East stand upper half the support were Irish based Poles cheering Legia. Not sure what was going with so many people late for the game, seats were filling 30 minutes after ko.

issues getting to the game with traffic so i hear :(

we gave a good account of ourselves, have to say it deffo was not a peno..not in 1 million years.. thought we matched them for the most part imo,,.

very very very naiive to give away the second...

Irish teams need to learn the nouce of european football and Dundalk have learned a lot.. when to foul, when not to foul etc...

but they can hold their heads up high BIG time... didnt look out of place at all imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

corny wrote: »
    Yeah Legia not brilliant by any means. Aggressive defenders and they pressed the ball well at times but nothing eye catching about them.

Thought the big difference between the sides was fitness. Few Dundalk lads ran out of steam. Horgan looked shattered after an hour. They were still running side to side closing Dundalk down in the 90th minute by comparison.

totally agree re: fitness ... they were looking wrecked for a bit early in the second half but kind of got a second wind... they are part time though that what I would say

Really agreed with both peno decisions. Not a popular opinion obviously.

The lack of yellows for cynical fouling was disappointing alright.

Such soft goals coming from needless giving away of possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Seemed more than 30000. How much does the middle tier hold? Upper and lower tiers were pretty much full by the time the late comers got in. Looking at the east stand from the west stand it was all Irish supporters bar one pocket on the lower tier, with a few sporadic supporters throughout the rest of the stand. Maybe you were beside that pocket? Looking across the upper tier of the west stand I only noticed about 15 Poles cheering. Must say, there wasn't half as many Poles as I was expecting, the stadium was about 95% Irish from what I could see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Disappointed about the result, but think Dundalk can hold their head high. Regardless of what happens next week, will still only be the second Irish side to reach the knockout stages of a European competition. Also great to see plenty of LOI and Irish fans there.

What's happens now in relation to home matches in the EL? Will they continue to have Lansdowne Rd, or will Tallaght be available to them, with the necessary adjustments?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just back from the game, I thought it was an evenly matched affair. Didn't have a good look at the penalty incident but didn't look like one from my pretty bad view. I don't think Kilduff was going to get that ball, so probably not a penalty either. I can't fault the ref, I don't want to see cards dished out willy nilly. The only thing, was it just me or did it seem like his ten yards at free kicks was a bit long?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

noodler wrote: »
    Really agreed with both peno decisions. Not a popular opinion obviously.

The lack of yellows for cynical fouling was disappointing alright.

Such soft goals coming from needless giving away of possession.

Was there live (so probably had a worse view in fairness) and thought both peno decisions were right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Disappointed about the result, but think Dundalk can hold their head high. Regardless of what happens next week, will still only be the second Irish side to reach the knockout stages of a European competition. Also great to see plenty of LOI and Irish fans there.

What's happens now in relation to home matches in the EL? Will they continue to have Lansdowne Rd, or will Tallaght be available to them, with the necessary adjustments?

can't be Tallaght unless they pay for an extra 'permanent' stand and UEFA let them off with it (they chose to believe that the stand behind the goal in 2011 was a permanent structure...)

So Aviva or RDS-equivalent at Dundalk's expense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

SantryRed wrote: »
    Unbelievably weak refereeing by the referee who let Legia cynically slow down the play. 14 fouls in the first half and yet only one yellow card?! It was disgraceful.

Never a penalty either and I can't believe the ref booked him for that after letting so much else go.

2nd goal was European experience. Terribly easy goal to give away and McEleney should have heaved the centre mid down when he broke away. Ridiculous to let him run through.

That's a massive opportunity missed to make the CL. I don't think an Irish club will get as good an opportunity again. BATE would have beaten Legia comfortably over two legs for me.

I thought BATE were absolutely terrible.They could barely string 2 passes together in the second leg.

People seem to be massively overrating how good BATE are on the basis of previous results from them in europe when clearly they look like they have declined recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement