Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Lets reverse the situation, if that penalty incident was up the other end do Dundalk fans think they would have just played on without shouting for it? They would ya haha. Peno all day long wheter he meant it or not, it was very clear on TV. Kilduff knew exactly what he was doing up the other end, smart play to try buy the peno Iv seen them given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Legia were solid but nothing special. I think Dundalk showed them too much respect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Legia will do nothing in the group stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Legia will be lucky to get a point in the group stages. It was a fairly even game, an slight edge in fitness and cleverness gave Legia the win. There was some traffic incident in the port tunnel that I believe resulted in a lot of late arrivals in the ground. Decent crowd for the night that was in it, a sunny evening would have added another few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Neither would Dundalk in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CHealy wrote: »
    Lets reverse the situation, if that penalty incident was up the other end do Dundalk fans think they would have just played on without shouting for it? They would ya haha. Peno all day long wheter he meant it or not, it was very clear on TV. Kilduff knew exactly what he was doing up the other end, smart play to try buy the peno Iv seen them given.

Of course we'd shout for it, I shout for handballs when it hits the oppositions chest. Doesn't mean that the decision is right though.
    I didn't think either decision was a penalty but not a lot we can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wouldn't expect Dundalk to though in all fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

They wouldn't be expected to though. Getting there would be already above all expectations, I'm pretty sure that was the point.

There hasn’t been a Polish team in the CL group stage in 20 years though, people really shouldn’t be looking at this as a case of David v Goliath. Sometimes there is a natural suspicion that teams from larger nations have “another gear” to hit and are on cruise control. The reality is that we’ve no evidence to assume that they are any better than they showed last night, and Dundalk were only slightly edged out. If someone drags your man back at the end and takes a yellow, the tie is still alive going into the 2nd leg. As it is, they’ve been undone by a bit of (or lack of) cuteness as much as anything else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Unfortunately Dundalk had very little going forward last night and were afraid to commit players into the box when they did get into good positions out wide. I think they were frightened of Legia and showed them too much respect when really there isn't much between the teams at all.

Dundalk competed well but never looked like getting a goal.

• Advertisement

Would agree with that. Not sure he’d pick the same team if he knew then what he knows now. Finn offered nothing when he came on…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Disappointing result for Dundalk in the end. Don't think it was a fair reflection of the game, I would say that Legia were slightly the better team but a draw wouldn't have been unfair. Penalty decision looked harsh from where I was sitting but haven't seen any replays since, don't think Dundalks shout for a peno had too much substance. Dundalk never really looked threatening, Legia looked fairly comfortable at the back for most of the night as I think their centre halves had the better of McMillan, when Kilduff came on he seemed a bit more likely to make a run in behind their defence.

Felt like there was a bigger crowd there than 30,000 as the lower tier seemed full apart from the odd seat around the place and the upper tier was probably more than half full, premium was the only full section of empty seats. There was serious traffic getting anywhere near the stadium and as a result a lot of people were late getting in, I was about 10 mins late and there was a lot of people still queuing to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Hope they can turn it around but if they dont, please draw Feyenoord in the EL group.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Bateman wrote: »
    There hasn’t been a Polish team in the CL group stage in 20 years

That's an amazing stat. How on earth have a country that big who are football mad failed so miserably in European competition? They should be on a par with the likes of Portugal or at least qualifying fairly regularly like Ukranian clubs. Not to have any in 20 years is shocking.

Polish clubs dont have the money some Ukrainian and Portuguese clubs have.
    The Netherlands is going the same direction as Poland. About to lose the 1 guaranteed CL spot and once that is gone.
    Only 15 years ago The Netherlands had 2 guaranteed and 1 qualifier in the CL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Kanchelskis has applied for the Rover's job.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

There's a 'big' name linked with every big loi job. Usually fans taking the piss on twitter taken seriously by the papers..

There's a 'big' name linked with every big loi job. Usually fans taking the piss on twitter taken seriously by the papers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

AgileMyth wrote: »
    theres still a part of me that wishes Julian Dicks got the Harps job.

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    theres still a part of me that wishes Julian Dicks got the Harps job.
    He's been linked with every job in the league.

Egil Ogstenstad to Sligo Rovers was my favourite. Some of the lads just made it up to see how far it'd get. National papers took it as gospel. Bookies made a fortune in it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

A great tribute to the "Dundalk miracle" from BBC Sport

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37091532

I dont believe this tie is over, although the loss of Stephen O'Donnell is a huge, I think Kenny will set them up to have a right go in Warsaw. Once a Team has goals in them they have a chance and Dundalk always create chances, heres hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I dont believe this tie is over, although the loss of Stephen O'Donnell is a huge, I think Kenny will set them up to have a right go in Warsaw. Once a Team has goals in them they have a chance and Dundalk always create chances, heres hoping!

I'd agree with you had that sucker punch at the end not trickled in. Man how disappointing was that. I think they can feel hard done-by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Was at the match myself, Longford fan who brought a few others along with me, to cheer on Vinny and SK's lads. Absolutely horrible day for a match, weather was cat, and probably kept a few thousand at home, there were a good few seats around us empty, and this was in section 501 which had sold out by Monday or so.

On the match, I thought Dundalk were pretty good, never had a chance to see a replay of the peno, live it looked a 50/50 decision, very hard to not let a shot hit your arm when it's fired at you from that range, think the keeper shouldn't have come out as he did thou, the late goal was sheer stupidity, and has probably put paid to the tie. Otherwise, there was little between the sides, I think the Poles had an ever so slight physical and technical edge, but Dundalk were better coached, a 1-1 draw shouldn't have been out of the question, but the margins are very fine as Dundalk already well know. An away draw out there would be good for the co efficient and is probably possible!

I just hope in the Europa Groups that they get one big draw, and one team that they can take at least a point out of.

While I'm here.. don't like to share this stuff too often, in case I bug people, but for those who don't know me, I make illustrations of LOI footballers and the like, I have a dedicated thread on boards where I occasionally throw up new work, over here! I'll leave one example of my work, just to give you an idea whether it's worth clicking over or not :)

CpwjVY5WEAIZZ_v.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Going by Legia's last two leagues games, they are awful at the moment. If Dundalk believe and do go for it, it's certainly not game over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Score one in each half and take it from there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Going by Legia's last two leagues games, they are awful at the moment. If Dundalk believe and do go for it, it's certainly not game over
    In fairness, they rested ten players over the weekend for their latest defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Think Dundalk will look back on that second goal and wonder what if, which is a shame because even though Legia looked a better side, I dont think they deserved to lose 2-0.

It'll be a miracle if they get any sort of a result tonight, the Legia players and staff will literally be ran out of Poland if they don't finish it off and get Champions League for the first time in 20 odd years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

To be fair, the Europa League group stages isn't too bad a consolation prize IMO

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Tonight's referee already showing more bottle than last week by actually booking Legia players for cynical fouls.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Dundalk the better side so far. Horgan has had a couple of awful touches though. Could have been game over after that last one.

• Advertisement

GAME ON

YABOYA BENSON!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Screamer!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

One of the best strikes I've ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What a goal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

What a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

That makes things interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Some strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That was some goal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Incredible finish from Benson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

That was one of the greatest goals I've ever seen. Honestly. Amazing. Talk about a stepping up at the right time. Keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Great save there too!

Just keep things tight the next 10 mins or so

Could see Dundalk scoring another, but can't really see Legia not scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jesus what a strike from Benson. Going in 1-0 at half time is excellent, 30,000 Polish fans will put a lot of pressure on the home team in the last 45 minutes..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Home fans not happy, always a good thing.

One of those that either go through the net or through the stratosphere

inforfun wrote: »
    One of those that either go through the net or through the stratosphere

Best bit is he's actually left-footed!

Horgan is having a mare.

• Advertisement

Shiels really is the weaklink. He's so poor with the ball at his feet. Could really do with O'Donnell.

Advertisement