Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It's a 1 in 12 chance of getting BATE again in the group stage.. surely can't happen 3 times in 2 years..

Love to see Roma.. Feyenoord.. Zenit etc
    BATE have to turn over a 2-0 deficit in their second leg to qualify for the group stages. Also a few more seeded teams are in a spot of bother meaning the likes of Southampton and West Ham could also be possible opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

:confused: Why? Would they not have a choice to show Dundlak or would they be obliged?
    Yea Would be obliged to show Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Youths are riddled with injuries. You think they would have fared better if they weren't?

To be honest I think so yeah. Mary Rose Kelly, Ciara Rossiter and Edel Kennedy would have tightened things up defensively big time. But in fairness they are all very long term injuries, we'll have to cope without them and Rianna Jarrett for another few months yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Do Dundalk not have to nominate a stadium before the draw and from what I read it would be Tallaght? I'd prefer to go to Aviva for the 3 home games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

:confused: Why? Would they not have a choice to show Dundlak or would they be obliged?

Have to show a team from their national league...which is only right

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Real Madrid... Dortmund.. Sporting.. Legia

Wow what might have been for dundalk.. 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Real Madrid... Dortmund.. Sporting.. Legia

Wow what might have been for dundalk.. 😥

Let's see what you could have won

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

dan1895 wrote: »
    Let's see what you could have won

???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

???

Bullseye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

???

d9f367441663442cefcef8c9e4992304.jpg

• Advertisement

Wexford Youths go down 2-1 in their second game. I'm not really one to give out about refereeing in general, I understand that every decision is subject to human error, but that referee for tonight's match had absolutely no place being on a football pitch. She made an absolute sham of the tournament. Referee in our previous game (losing 3-1 to Kazygurt) was excellent, by contrast. Tonight is definitely the most I have ever lost my temper over a football game. Lauren Dwyer, who scored our equalizer, made a stunning, game-saving tackle while a Gintra player was 1-on-1 with the keeper. Straight red and a peno. Referee knew she had ****ed it up and gave everything our way for the rest of the game. Match was a p!sstake throughout really.

On the brightside, another massive crowd there for women's football, well over 600 this time. Hope they'll keep coming back for the national league matches :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

This lad doing the draw is a fairly heavy breather!

Dundalk in Group D with FC Zenit, Alkmaar and Maccabi Tel Aviv

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

The lad the the Palestinian flag will go down a treat with Maccabi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Nightmare draw for Dundalk

good draw for Dundalk, can get a few results and hopefully perform well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Interesting draw. Dundalk will have a fair bit of travelling but are capable of getting a few results off that lot at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

No big teams for dundalk to get a bumper crowd. Can't see them needing the aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

wadacrack wrote: »
    good draw for Dundalk, can get a few results and hopefully perform well

Its probably the worst possible draw both in terms of travel and footballing terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Bad draw for Dundalk from a fan point of view. A lot of travelling, security issues in matches with Zenit and Maccabi and its not attractive for neutral fans. Might be ok football wise although they wont get anything from the Zenit matches. Maccabi would definitely be possible to get points from not so sure about AZ although there was certainly worse second seeds thah them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

kksaints wrote: »
    Bad draw for Dundalk from a fan point of view. A lot of travelling, security issues in matches with Zenit and Maccabi and its not attractive for neutral fans. Might be ok football wise although they wont get anything from the Zenit matches. Maccabi would definitely be possible to get points from not so sure about AZ although there was certainly worse second seeds thah them.

Top seeded club in the competition, and the top second seed aswell, and Maccabi were in CL groups last year as well as no pull crowd wise for any of those teams means its the worst possible draw for Dundalk which is unfortunate.

Will they prioritise the league from here on out?

AZ are not that good, Dutch football is in a bad way atm. Zenit very strong but could have been worse. Maccabi not quite the force they were. We should be looking at a draw where we can get results ,its only really the English sides that would have led to a bumper crowd and that was always a slim chance

CHealy wrote: »
    Top seeded club in the competition, and the top second seed aswell, and Maccabi were in CL groups last year as well as no pull crowd wise for any of those teams means its the worst possible draw for Dundalk which is unfortunate.

AZ were the top second seed? Didnt expect that thought it would be Roma or Fenerbahce.Although Maccabi were in the CL group stages last year they started out at the same round that us and Cork did this season so I would think that its Dundalk best chance for a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

AZ was the best performing Dutch team in the last few years.

If Feyenoord, Ajax and to a lesser degree PSV had performed similar, Holland wouldnt be losing a cl spot in 2018.

They have a good squad and i can see them giving the traditional top 3 a run for their money this season

Maccabi is seriously weakened after they lost the phenomenal Zahavi
    Look at his goal scoring record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

***** draw. I think we can safely say Tallaght for the 3 matches, won't need anything remotely like the Aviva (is the break even figure for the Aviva around 25,000?)

Maybe a pop up stand behind one of the goals to bring it up to 8,000. RTE won't want to know so it's between to EIR and TV3, so not a lot of money in that. I think the club should package the 3 home matches @ maybe €50 and if they sold out they might break even on the travelling. If it's Tallaght they won't need many neutrals (that boat sailed with the draw) The only money to be made now is what is already guaranteed.

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    AZ was the best performing Dutch team in the last few years.

If Feyenoord, Ajax and to a lesser degree PSV had performed similar, Holland wouldnt be losing a cl spot in 2018.

They have a good squad and i can see them giving the traditional top 3 a run for their money this season

Maccabi is seriously weakened after they lost the phenomenal Zahavi
    Look at his goal scoring record.
    AZ have sold Jansen, no real replacement. Will probably be about 6 in Eredivisie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

wadacrack wrote: »
    AZ have sold Jansen, no real replacement. Will probably be about 6 in Eredivisie

Replaced him with Weghorst and the briliantly named Freddy Friday.
    The are probably going to lose Henriksen as well, to Anderlecht but they know what they are doing there at AZ.
    Will not win the league but finish 4th, maybe even 3rd if Ajax dont get their **** together fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Talking to a guy I know in Russia who says that Zenit are in a bad way and Dundalk could get something off them if that's true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Talking to a guy I know in Russia who says that Zenit are in a bad way and Dundalk could get something off them if that's true

Even on a bad day that Zenit team should be beating Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

joeysoap wrote: »
    ***** draw. I think we can safely say Tallaght for the 3 matches, won't need anything remotely like the Aviva (is the break even figure for the Aviva around 25,000?)

Maybe a pop up stand behind one of the goals to bring it up to 8,000. RTE won't want to know so it's between to EIR and TV3, so not a lot of money in that.

There'd be no extra TV money even if it had been MUFC, Ajax and Celta; and RTE/TV3 were never going to be involved anyway.
    Eir/BT have the rights to the group stage already paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Heard the break even for the Aviva was 12k (at least, that's what they said on BT) for the first leg. Imagine it'd be similar for the Europa League.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

joeysoap wrote: »

Maybe a pop up stand behind one of the goals to bring it up to 8,000. RTE won't want to know so it's between to EIR and TV3, so not a lot of money in that. I think the club should package the 3 home matches @ maybe €50 and if they sold out they might break even on the travelling. If it's Tallaght they won't need many neutrals (that boat sailed with the draw) The only money to be made now is what is already guaranteed.

Needs to be 8,500 I think and a 'permanent' stand. Tallaght holds 5750 as is. Don't know if UEFA will allow the 2011 arrangement again.

dfx- wrote: »
    Needs to be 8,500 I think and a 'permanent' stand. Tallaght holds 5750 as is. Don't know if UEFA will allow the 2011 arrangement again.

Wasn't there an issue with the floodlights in Tallaght also that meant that Shams home matches had to be played at 18.00 instead of alternating between 20.05?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

CHealy wrote: »

They get more money by winning one game in the group stages then they would winning the league. It will be hard to not try and accommodate both competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Russian, Dutch and UEFA fine coming up for the town, nice.

There'd be no extra TV money even if it had been MUFC, Ajax and Celta; and RTE/TV3 were never going to be involved anyway.
    Eir/BT have the rights to the group stage already paid for.

Looked at this again and it appears all TV money is pooled and then divided up according to size of league ( in Austrias case looks like the 3 teams have to share 'Austrias' share between then. Also think Dundalk might have 'won' some money for all LOI teams. Confess I find it complicated. It's at the bottom here but it looks like the 8 that we're getting nothing out of UEFA will now get something,( what I don't know)

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2398575.html#201617+revenue+distribution

This is the equivalent article for the Europa League

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2398584.html

howiya wrote: »
    This is the equivalent article for the Europa League

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2398584.html

What does this mean ? Dundalk are only Irish team but most associations appear to have two or three teams. Does this mean 80m is divided by say 30/35 associations and you get a share according to what you won the previous year?

I obviously left Skool to early :)

a) Half of the global market pool (€80m) will be split into as many shares as there are national associations represented by at least one club in the group stage. Each share, proportional to the value of the relevant media rights market, will be split among the clubs based on their performance in the previous season’s domestic competitions. The following split will apply among the clubs from any given association.

Oh, I think I get it , if three clubs qualify from Austria the €€€ is divided according how you did domestically the previous year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Pretty brutal draw for Dundalk, two rotten away trips and nothing that will majorly appeal to the neutral, although I would probably go to any of the home games that kick off at 8.00pm if they were priced right. I'd be lying if I said I knew much about AZ or Maccabi, but hopefully they could even knick a point off one of them, most teams will probably be expecting a handy 3 points. Is there much prize money for getting a win/draw in the EL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Pretty brutal draw for Dundalk, two rotten away trips and nothing that will majorly appeal to the neutral, although I would probably go to any of the home games that kick off at 8.00pm if they were priced right. I'd be lying if I said I knew much about AZ or Maccabi, but hopefully they could even knick a point off one of them, most teams will probably be expecting a handy 3 points. Is there much prize money for getting a win/draw in the EL?

200k win 100k draw I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

200k win 100k draw I think

€360k for a Europa League win, €120k for a draw so huge incentive for Dundalk.
    While Zenit (Europa League winners in 2008), AZ and Maccabi Tel Aviv are not regarded as the most attractive draws they are all decent teams.
    If would be a great achievement for Dundalk to finish third in the Group, I think they will avoid the zero points outcome that Shamrock Rovers experienced when they qualified for the Europa League Group League Stages in 2011.
    They should sell the tickets for the Aviva/Tallaght as a package for all three games, there is huge goodwill for Dundalk amongst the Irish soccer public they should tap into it and play in the Aviva imo.
    People who normally would have very little interest in the League of Ireland are talking about how well they have done and performed in the Champions League.

Agree with those figures.Last time it appeared as €2.4m for participation , now showing €2.6m. €360k for a win )€120k a draw so with a draw there's €120k left to distribute to winners of other matches. there's €360k for every match and with a draw only 2 x €120k is distributed so €120k back into the pot. I think Dundalk will do well to get even one draw, Zenith are champions league standard and Inforfun (Who knows a bit about Dutch Football says they are handy) the Israeli team are like Dundalk, hoping for the best.

Allocation to all group stage participants: €2.6m.
    Group stage performance bonus per win: €360,000
    Group performance bonus per draw: €120,000
    Non-distributed amounts (€120,000 per draw) will be pooled and redistributed among the clubs playing in the group stage in amounts proportionate to their number of wins.

I too would like the Aviva but unless the get a draw in Holland in first match it probably would be too big. Thomond too far away, dearth of 20,000 stadiums in the country.

Anybody else think this is mad money? €110,000 for winning the league, and €10,000 more than that for a draw.

Hopefully we will get a decent Oriel out of this.

Agree with very last line of the above post, all I'm looking out of these exploits in Europe is a stadium that has the facilities for future league/cup games. Come rain or sunshine I stood at the town end (wall) with my nephew most annoying thing was couldn't keep the fella by my side he'd run off sliding in puddles or dry grass lol, yeah his mum was not impressed when he got home, but he always asked to get into the stand, I hadn't the money for it. The club needs to sort this out once and for all, this is the perfect time.

user2011 wrote: »
    Agree with very last line of the above post, all I'm looking out of these exploits in Europe is a stadium that has the facilities for future league/cup games. Come rain or sunshine I stood at the town end (wall) with my nephew most annoying thing was couldn't keep the fella by my side he'd run off sliding in puddles or dry grass lol, yeah his mum was not impressed when he got home, but he always asked to get into the stand, I hadn't the money for it. The club needs to sort this out once and for all, this is the perfect time.

I also agree, I will be extremely disappointed if Dundalk come out of this massive success (and windfall) still with one of the worst grounds around. I have so much admiration for the squad and the football they play, but the ground situation is so important.

I also agree, I will be extremely disappointed if Dundalk come out of this massive success (and windfall) still with one of the worst grounds around. I have so much admiration for the squad and the football they play, but the ground situation is so important.

Nothing here to get into discussion about the ground situation it NEEDS sorted, love pigheads posts about the town but when I see the complaints about attendances at games its the first thing that screams out me the football being put on display by the lads so so deserve a better place to be played ive actually no complaints about attendance the ground gets what it deseeves, even after Kenny is gone it can inspire the next manager to play football in a proper manner. I've my fingers crossed anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

user2011 wrote: »
    Nothing here to get into discussion about the ground situation it NEEDS sorted, love pigheads posts about the town but when I see the complaints about attendances at games its the first thing that screams out me the football being put on display by the lads so so deserve a better place to be played ive actually no complaints about attendance the ground gets what it deseeves, even after Kenny is gone it can inspire the next manager to play football in a proper manner. I've my fingers crossed anyway.
    This.

I really hope Dundalk to a proper job on Oriel Park so that if they go on another European adventure they don't have to move their games to Dublin.

It would be so much better than being wasted on journeymen's wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

marno21 wrote: »
    This.

I really hope Dundalk to a proper job on Oriel Park so that if they go on another European adventure they don't have to move their games to Dublin.

It would be so much better than being wasted on journeymen's wages.

To play games in Dundalk at an advanced stage in Europe would require a category 4 stadium.
    That means an 8,500 seater and various other requirements.
    Dundalk have no need for an 8500 seater.
    Even Tallaght is far too big for Shamrock and it's only going to get more soulless when the 3rd stand goes up.
    There's a few tenants in it like the women's international side and concerts and things like that which make it a bit more palatable to local rate payers who funded it.

My point is Dundalk need a stadium that meets their requirements.
    A 4-5000 all seater would be bang on.
    European runs are a rare thing so there's no point building an 8500 seater that will be 3/4s empty on regular match days.

I reckon if Dundalk fans had a stadium like that they could be proud of they'd be happy enough.
    Even if it meant they had to go to Dublin once every couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

To play games in Dundalk at an advanced stage in Europe would require a category 4 stadium.
    That means an 8,500 seater and various other requirements.
    Dundalk have no need for an 8500 seater.
    Even Tallaght is far too big for Shamrock and it's only going to get more soulless when the 3rd stand goes up.
    There's a few tenants in it like the women's international side and concerts and things like that which make it a bit more palatable to local rate payers who funded it.

My point is Dundalk need a stadium that meets their requirements.
    A 4-5000 all seater would be bang on.
    European runs are a rare thing so there's no point building an 8500 seater that will be 3/4s empty on regular match days.

I reckon if Dundalk fans had a stadium like that they could be proud of they'd be happy enough.
    Even if it meant they had to go to Dublin once every couple of years.

I can see and respect your point, but I think if any leagueof Ireland team plans on taking the next step up and not just winning the national league but also having realistic aims of yearly European group stage qualification they will have to have a stadium that could host these potential games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

justshane wrote: »
    I can see and respect your point, but I think if any leagueof Ireland team plans on taking the next step up and not just winning the national league but also having realistic aims of yearly European group stage qualification they will have to have a stadium that could host these potential games.

But LOI clubs are no where near "yearly European group stage qualification". That would require full time football and sizeable budgets.
    The fact is European games are cup games and even big budgets are no guarantee of progression.
    Next year, all of our sides could be put after one tie.

In 2011, Shamrock qualified for the group stages, the first time a LOI club had done it, 5 years later Dundalk have qualified for the same stage. I see nothing to indicate that time line of qualification will increase.
    Only today, UEFA have made it potentially more difficult for leagues like the LOI to put clubs in either group stage.

I think it's baby steps for LOI clubs. If Dundalk build a 4/5000 seater and in 5 years time need to expand then that would be brilliant. Clubs have to balance ambition with realisim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

1 win = John Delaneys salary
    1 draw = the prize money for winning the league.

Advertisement