Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I noticed that too. We have any hardly any injuries once again.

There is little or no fitness gap between the top two sides this year, arguably little or no quality gap, but injuries remains a significant difference.

Could it make the difference in a tight race?

Its just ridiculous at this stage, I dont know is it the Bishopstown training ground, the actual training they are doing, or just bad luck.

We've had John Kavanagh out for a year, due back this week, once again another set back and he's out for at least another month. It was the same with Danny Morrissey the year before. Dunleavy is out for 8 months, Sheppard is constantly carrying knocks, Bolger didnt even make the squad last night due to injury. Its crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well tbf, its long been established that Dunleavy is both the unluckiest player in Ireland and also made of paper mache. I hear that Kavanaghs struggle at this stage is in his head (not knocking him on that) and Danny Morrissey is also made of paper.

Add in O Connell getting injured and going back to Celtic to the list as well. But his loan would be up now anyway.

I hope JC has a few players identified for signing. Squad is very thin and needs addressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

CHealy wrote: »
    We shouldnt give a mid table Swedish team too much respect, I honestly think we can get through this round aswell, wheter JC believes the same is another thing, we struggled across the line against an out of season Linfield team. If we can get a score draw over there we have the advantage back at the Cross.

Don't know whether the fact that the Swedish league stopped for six weeks is an advantage or not, hopefully they'll be a wee bit rusty.

Lucena wrote: »
    Don't know whether the fact that the Swedish league stopped for six weeks is an advantage or not, hopefully they'll be a wee bit rusty.

They played Hammarby at home on Saturday which I was able to stream, Hammarby were muck but Hacken are really good going forward, but seemed shocking at the back. Standard definitely higher than LOI but I wouldn't say by much. Hacken big favourites but Im optimistic of a shock being on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Best of luck to Dundalk tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

^^ Is it on the box tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Irish_rat wrote: »
    ^^ Is it on the box tonight?
    No. eir Sports (formerly Setanta Sports) have the second leg next week though. Getting nervous now. Hopefully Kenny and the coaching stuff have sorted out the defensive disaster from last week when we conceded three ****e goals against Longford. Need to keep a clean sheet this evening. A third hatrick in three games from McMillan would do nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Heard tonight's match is Dundalk FM, can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Not having it all their own way seemingly. Away sides really do find it pretty easy to contain them for large spells of games up there.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Gartland taken off before half time. Big blow for Dundalk if he's injured...

• Advertisement

Loving the commentary :-D

1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

McMillan (McEleney)

1 - 1 (S. Lennon) Big away goal for HarfNarf

Mistake by Barrett for the goal. Need to push for another now Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

1-1 former Dundalk player Lennon scored for FH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

When last did he play for dundalk he might be used to that desperate pitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Thought they would do better here we all know how crap Iceland are at football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Still think Dundalk have a great chance with there away form.

• Advertisement

Can't help but be disappointed with that result. They were there for the taking tonight. We had quite a bit of the ball but didn't create a whole lot. Our goal was a beauty. Typical lightening quick counter attack with McEleney putting in a perfect cross for McMillan to ram home. The place was buzzing for all of five minutes until our old boy Lennon shut us all up with a decent finish after a mistake from Barrett.

We've made it difficult for ourselves but we play well away from home and they are no great shakes judging on tonight's performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think Dundalk will do it up in Iceland. When's the draw? Will they know before the 2nd leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

SantryRed wrote: »
    I think Dundalk will do it up in Iceland. When's the draw? Will they know before the 2nd leg?

Draw is on Friday.

Only team I think they'd have a shot against is Lincoln or Celtic. The rest are decent.

The level of Irish & Scottish football is really really poor. Hopefully Dundalk get through next week sounds like they underperformed tonight. St Pats tomorrow could get ugly with their defence & lack of pressing. Hope I'm wrong.

That away goal could end up being a killer for Dundalk, Icelandic sides are incredibly well drilled and wont be easy to break down at home. FH favourites now.

That away goal could end up being a killer for Dundalk, Icelandic sides are incredibly well drilled and wont be easy to break down at home. FH favourites now.
    No doubt they are favourites but not by much. Looking at our results in Europe since Kenny has come in you would have to give us a real chance. We've played against Jeunesse Eche beating them 2-0. Played Hajduk Split, won that one 2-0 and of course we gave a great account of ourselves last season against Bate Borisov losing 2-1.

But the bottom line is they don't actually look that great. If they had come last night and looked comfortable and outpassed us and outfought us I would be more worried but they looked kind of sloppy in possession and nobody really stood out for them. We really should have won that one last night. Still all to play for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

There was no sign of FH being well drilled last night. They were very sloppy at the back and we should have exposed this more than we did.

This Dundalk side travels very well and I am confident we can score in Iceland.

There was no sign of FH being well drilled last night. They were very sloppy at the back and we should have exposed this more than we did.

This Dundalk side travels very well and I am confident we can score in Iceland.

Ye drew 1-1 at home against a so called poor Icelandic side, even given yer away form, its going to be tough out there. Cork City know that all too well from last year. Not saying the Dundalk team now and last years City team should be compared, but if the team go over with the over confidence some of yer fans have, ye wont have a good time.

BK Hacken v Cork City at 6pm tonight, an away goal is vital for City, I'll go with a 3-1 home win to bring back to TC where we will proceed to win 2-0 with two goals of Mark O'Sullivans arse in the 90th minute. That will do nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Our match in Minsk starts at 4.30pm. Just hoping we can keep the match alive for next week. Our league form had been dreadful this season and we were poor against Esch aswell in the last round. Dinamo are a massive step up and while they were not that impressive themselves in the last round they could easily be much better in this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Ye drew 1-1 at home against a so called poor Icelandic side, even given yer away form, its going to be tough out there. Cork City know that all too well from last year. Not saying the Dundalk team now and last years City team should be compared, but if the team go over with the over confidence some of yer fans have, ye wont have a good time.

I don't know of many over confident Dundalk fans at the moment.

The only thing we are in agreement about is that FH are no great shakes and that if Dundalk are defensively solid we still have a good chance.

City threw the game in Iceland away last year. They beat themselves.

City threw the game in Iceland away last year. They beat themselves.

Still sickened over it, an extra 200k down the drain. That one hurt more than any league or cup loss to yerselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Can definitely see Dundalk scoring over there, if their league form is anything to go by, they’ve been better away than at home for 3 years now. They won’t have any fear going over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

1-0 Minsk.

Pat's behind. Hopefully floodgates don’t open now

I've been really impressed with some of Pats play, some great passing, its the defending that will leave them down, bit of a schoolboy goal to give away leaving the Minsk player that much space on the edge of the box.

Terrible defending for the goal, no way should the Dinamo player get that much space at the edge of the box. Apart from that we've been ok our passing has been decent and they havent troubled us that much. Still a long 45 minutes to go though.

Fagan!!! YESSSS!!!! 1-1

Been under a bit of pressure since the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

kksaints wrote: »
    Been under a bit of pressure since the goal.

Getting tired now too.

Encouraging for the second leg though. Tie is very much alive.

1-1 FT. Excellent result. Going to be a huge match in Richmond next week. COYS!

Good luck to Cork in the match against Hacken

• Advertisement

City decent so far, just missed a great chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Great Result for Pats, from what I saw in the last 20 mins Minsk didnt look great, Pats hopefully see them off at home.

Mon the City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The Swedish commentator is doing half the commentary in English 'for the benefit of the Irish viewers'. (in Sweden I suppose)

Penalty Cork / Red card Häcken :pac:

1-0 Maguire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Penalty to City. Hacken player off. 1-0 to us :D

Great counter from Cork to get a penalty. Maquire slots it away 1-0 & Hacken down to 10. Looking like a great night for LOI in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

They really need to go for the kill now and resist the temptation to settle for 1-0. They're playing well and should make it count.

Wow. This is unreal. Hell of a result for Pats.Did not see that coming. And looks like Cork will be taking a lead back to the cross. One of the best days for loi clubs in Europe in an age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The small City contingent in the stands doing us proud. Swedes are silent.

• Advertisement

McNulty is doing his best to let them score. 3 times this half he has come out of his goal and kicked it straight to them.

Advertisement