Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Amazing result for Dundalk.

What's the story with tickets for the game in Tallaght in two weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Well done Dundalk, particularly to Brian Gartland , whose from round the corner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Will their be a temporary stand in place for the game against Maccabi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

No word yet, if the same as Bate match , season tickets first call , produce stubs from maybe FH, (last Monday) SR (next Tuesday) and Derry City (next Friday) and they get next tickets, then general sale. Personally I think they should sell the 3 matches together. The club were quite good at low prices for the Aviva match but the numbers are very restricted at Tallaght. According to one of yesterday's red-tops the club won't receive the Aviva money (around €200,000)for another mont as per Ticket Master terms, and the club had to take out two overdrafts. The same report also said UEFA had released €3M to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'd be delighted to go to the home games but I'd be equally delighted if I couldn't get a ticket due to it selling out. Dundalk deserve all the support they can get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I know the extra money in the CL would have been great for Dundalk but everyone is talking about how great they are doing and last night's draw is another result to add to that. This is doing the profile of the league no harm. What if they did beat Legia? Would probably getting thumped by Real and Dortmund and losing to Lisbon have set the profile back?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I know the extra money in the CL would have been great for Dundalk but everyone is talking about how great they are doing and last night's draw is another result to add to that. This is doing the profile of the league no harm. What if they did beat Legia? Would probably getting thumped by Real and Dortmund and losing to Lisbon have set the profile back?

Interesting theory and one that crossed my mind yesterday. I think the Europa league is better at this time but obviously the exposure and money from the CL playing Juve or Barca would be better in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Dundalk are the best marketing opportunity the FAI could ever have, if there were serious about the league.

The picture of the former LOI lads on Euro duty was great, but it could be argued that these lads did a lot of their development after they went to English clubs.

Dundalk are competing at a high level now. There is no reason other clubs can't reach this level. Cork being the closest.

The results of this week do lend credence to the argument that Dundalk are much better competing in the Europa League. It is still a massive step up compared to their domestic games.

MD1990 wrote: »
    You look at teams around Europe even small clubs often have Brazilians & other overseas players. Nearly all of Dundalk's squad is Irish & there first 11 is all Irish. It is a great achievement.

Good point. The entire squad is Irish, though Sava was born in Italy.

You would have to say Real and Dortmund would run up a big score in their home matches, both trying to build up goal difference. Having said that Zenith scored 4 in 15 minutes away from home last night so a thumping is not altogether ruled out in those matches. Overall probably better in the EL but it it is a tough group. Zenith would expect to make the last 8 at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Well done Dundalk,super result and throughly deserved, just shows what can be done with limited resources and no big name players. They got the result by trusting themselves with the ball and trying to keep it,is it possible that MON watched this and learned anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Still elated with both Dundalks performance and result in the Europa League last night, it was interesting to hear AZ Alkmaar Boss, John van den Brom, admit that Dundalk outplayed AZ in the first, deserved the draw and "they play better football than British teams". Great coverage of Dundalks heroics in the Independant, thought RTE TV's coverage on last night news and todays news was minimalist at best, no interviews, no cameras in Alkmaar or Dundalk for reaction, very poor from our National broadcaster.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/az-alkmaar-boss-has-high-praise-for-dundalk-and-says-kennys-men-play-better-football-than-british-teams-35052871.html

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

Think this the current co-efficient table

Zenith 15
    AZ Alkmaar 66
    Maccabi 95
    Dundalk 308

Pats seem to top rated Irish team at 288

A League of Ireland team just went to Holland and played better football than the home team. Think about that. Because Dundalk are making us reconsider what we think we know. They call into question the idea that our national team is restricted to a long ball game because that's 'our footballing culture.' They, as Kenny Cunningham pointed out on Thursday, call into question the idea that League of Ireland players never, ever deserve a place in the national squad until they move cross-channel. And they call into question the general writing off of the League of Ireland in Irish sporting culture.

Eamonn Sweeney in the Indo.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/dundalks-exploits-making-us-reconsider-what-we-think-we-know-35057268.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think it'll take a lot more for people to start reconsidering their views on the LOI. The "LOI is ****e" mentality is pretty deeply entrenched.

I think it'll take a lot more for people to start reconsidering their views on the LOI. The "LOI is ****e" mentality is pretty deeply entrenched.

They have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

You will never get people to "reconsider" their views. People who spend fortunes to sit in the upper tiers of the Sir Alex Ferguson stand with the rest of the football tourists from all over the world are lost.

The best thing the LOI could do is try to appeal to a younger generation. Get into schools. Player and coach visits, training sessions, club funded school tours to LOI grounds, school boy &girls teams entered into local leagues by LOI teams and match days out will all pay for themselves 10 fold in the long run.
    I read somewhere that over the last 10 or 15 years Cork City have distributed about a quarter of a million match tickets into schools in Cork. That's the formula to follow.

As it stand the league as a whole is piss poor at marketing itself. It can't compete with Europes major leagues and nor should it try. It's a local league and it should work to embed itself in local communities. At the moment bar one or 2 bright spots it isn't doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You will never get people to "reconsider" their views. People who spend fortunes to sit in the upper tiers of the Sir Alex Ferguson stand with the rest of the football tourists from all over the world are lost.

The best thing the LOI could do is try to appeal to a younger generation. Get into schools. Player and coach visits, training sessions, club funded school tours to LOI grounds, school boy &girls teams entered into local leagues by LOI teams and match days out will all pay for themselves 10 fold in the long run.
    I read somewhere that over the last 10 or 15 years Cork City have distributed about a quarter of a million match tickets into schools in Cork. That's the formula to follow.

As it stand the league as a whole is piss poor at marketing itself. It can't compete with Europes major leagues and nor should it try. It's a local league and it should work to embed itself in local communities. At the moment bar one or 2 bright spots it isn't doing that.

Agree completely. I think sometimes theres too much focus on appealing to the lot that travel once or twice a year to see an English match and like you say those ones are a waste of effort marketing to.

For a kid if you get them into the habit young and they enjoy it they'll either grow up a fan or at the very least with a more positive view of the LOI. They'll have to come with a parent and thats another ticket sold on top of it. Things like the family enclosure at the Cross are a great idea as its a fun and friendly environment for the kids when they do come to our matches.

Dundalk have risen almost 100 places in the UEFA rankings; 359 to 266.

http://www.ecaeurope.com/tabbed-content/club-ranking/

• Advertisement

Dundalk have risen almost 100 places in the UEFA rankings; 359 to 266.

http://www.ecaeurope.com/tabbed-content/club-ranking/

I don't know which one is the accurate this one or the one above. Zenith are still 15th, AZ and Maccabi a bit higher in this one

Leicester must have two teams they are 93rd and 98th :confused:

So maybe The Town up to 265? ;)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/watch-legia-warsaw-charged-after-masked-hooligans-armed-with-pepper-spray-launch-vicious-attack-35054077.html#

UEFA considering action against Legia Warsaw....... easy answer to that put Dundalk in the CL instead of them.....yes I know it cannot happen!
    I could not see Dundalk with their spirit, courage and technical ability losing 6 nil to Dortmund in the Aviva as Legia lost last week in Warsaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/watch-legia-warsaw-charged-after-masked-hooligans-armed-with-pepper-spray-launch-vicious-attack-35054077.html#

UEFA considering action against Legia Warsaw....... easy answer to that put Dundalk in the CL instead of them.....yes I know it cannot happen!
    I could not see Dundalk with their spirit, courage and technical ability losing 6 nil to Dortmund in the Aviva as Legia lost last week in Warsaw

Jes I think you underestimate Dortmund, top 10 teams in Europe. They could beat Warsaw or Dundalk 9-0 if they got going.

justshane wrote: »
    Jes I think you underestimate Dortmund, top 10 teams in Europe. They could beat Warsaw or Dundalk 9-0 if they got going.

I agree. Let's not get carried away. Dundalk are not Dortmund.

Legia must be concerned that if they were thrown out that they would lose the €12.5m. Between the ineligible player and last year I think that's 3 years in a row that Legia have managed to draw attention to themselves. I suspect in order to be fair to the other two clubs in the group that they will have play their other two home matches behind closed doors and a fine. It's big bucks at this stage so the fine will probably reflect this. They had an awful lot of flares at the Aviva match, though Dundalk could be fined for allowing them in. The FAI were responsible for security that night and it was hit and miss, there was no security/searches at our section of the ground, 50 metres away at a different section one of my friends was body searched 3 times.

joeysoap wrote: »
    the illegible player
    He's hard to get a read on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

joeysoap wrote: »
    They had an awful lot of flares at the Aviva match, though Dundalk could be fined for allowing them in. The FAI were responsible for security that night and it was hit and miss, there was no security/searches at our section of the ground, 50 metres away at a different section one of my friends was body searched 3 times.

Were the Legia fans searched for anti JD banners though? surely that's the biggest threat to ground safety in matches at Lansdowne?

In Polish but interesting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wNEqWEHcC7g

Grafton Street is not in Dundalk and why UCD's home ground is shown are odd but the rest is pretty accurate all things considered. I assume it was made for the Legia's home market prior to the 2nd leg.

At 1.30 only one of those are involved with the new ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

But, he's not even the best keeper in the LOI. I'm surprised he has the No.1 shirt at Dundalk.

I'll just leave that there for a minute

Johner wrote: »
    Amazing result for Dundalk.

What's the story with tickets for the game in Tallaght in two weeks?

http://www.dundalkfc.com/maccabi-tel-aviv-tickets-sale/

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Will their be a temporary stand in place for the game against Maccabi?

tickets on sale at Oriel this morning, 1 only per season ticket holder. Queue was 50 yards long at all stages (Dundalk have 1,000 season ticket holders)

Tomorrow on sale at Oriel, 2 per person. Think this a bit pointless as you can re queue and buy 2 more etc but maybe to stop touts getting tickets.

Ground limited to 5,500, I can't see many left for general sale on Friday if today is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It saya on that article that tickets will be sold on Friday with Tickmaster (General sale if any left I assume). Will they be sold online though?

MD1990 wrote: »
    It saya on that article that tickets will be sold on Friday with Tickmaster (General sale if any left I assume). Will they be sold online though?

General Ticketmaster sale on line, I don't think they will many left for sale. I don't know how many Maccabi have to get.

No temporary seats going in then?

Pricing very fair by Dundalk, €20 adult €10 child, should have no trouble selling all 5,500 tickets and hopefully they can bag another Europa League point or maybe more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Some anti-Israel group trying to organise a protest at this. I'm far from pro-Israel but a football match is not the place for such protests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

AZ Alkmaar are now up to 2nd joint place in the Dutch Eredivisie after winning away to Zwolle at the weekend. I wonder where Dundalk would finish in the Dutch league, well up the table I suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dont get too excited.
    AZ lost Janssen and Henriksen (39 goals, 10 assist combined) in the summer and have to rebuilt the team because of it.

Dutch league is 6 matches old.
    Just as i dont think Feyenoord has the league won already, AZ's current level isnt the level of a team that will finish 2nd in the Dutch league.

Not that i want to take much away from Dundalk but that 1-1 they got at AZ had quite a bit of good fortune for Dundalk included. Bad decision for the disallowed goal, seeing your teammate going off like AZ players had to, has an impact too)

Pricing very fair by Dundalk, €20 adult €10 child, should have no trouble selling all 5,500 tickets and hopefully they can bag another Europa League point or maybe more!

I hear the capacity is 5500 for matches at Tallaght. I thought you had to have more than 8,500 to be classed as a category 4 ground, and that category 4 was required for league stages?

Assuming 5,500 @ an average of €15 = just over €80,000. Take out the ground rent to Rovers, security, match expenses etc and I doubt what's left would cover the cost of the return trip to Israel.

Dundalk will net more from that draw in The Netherlands than the 3 'home' matches combined. One win of course, while unlikely would be very welcome and would probably pay for the whole adventure.

Mmmmmmm.......

a. category 2 for the first and second qualifying rounds;
    b. category 3 for the third qualifying round and play-offs;
    c. category 4 from the group stage to the semi-finals.

Group 1. 2. 3. 4.

Minimum Seated capacity 200 1,500 4,500 8,000

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

inforfun wrote: »
    Dont get too excited.
    AZ lost Janssen and Henriksen (39 goals, 10 assist combined) in the summer and have to rebuilt the team because of it.

Dutch league is 6 matches old.
    Just as i dont think Feyenoord has the league won already, AZ's current level isnt the level of a team that will finish 2nd in the Dutch league.

Not that i want to take much away from Dundalk but that 1-1 they got at AZ had quite a bit of good fortune for Dundalk included. Bad decision for the disallowed goal, seeing your teammate going off like AZ players had to, has an impact too)

How about the fact if our Goalkeeper hadnt of come out for a ball he had no reason coming for or our captain and best player getting sent off, AZ can count themselves lucky aswell!

I have to be honest, i wasnt watching as i had this little thing called Feyenoord - man utd going on at the time. But i didnt read anything about that sending off being a ref's cock up.

You are comparing external issues (bad ref's decision) to bad decision by Dundalk players. GK and player could have avoided their bad luck. AZ couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

think ground rent goes to SDCC and not to Rovers

I have to be honest, i wasnt watching as i had this little thing called Feyenoord - man utd going on at the time. But i didnt read anything about that sending off being a ref's cock up.

You are comparing external issues (bad ref's decision) to bad decision by Dundalk players. GK and player could have avoided their bad luck. AZ couldn't.

So you are talking about how we shouldn't get carried away with a draw in a game you didn't even watch! FFS

If you watch the game you will be aware we were far better team in 1st half and were unlucky not to be in front before the break.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think Inforfun's point was you can't extrapolate an isolated result against AZ into Dundalk finishing in the upper end of the Eredivisie

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I think Inforfun's point was you can't extrapolate an isolated result against AZ into Dundalk finishing in the upper end of the Eredivisie

I think his point was he was talking outta his arse!

There are people thinking Dundalk can finish in the top of the Eredivisie because Dundalk drew to the current no2 and i am the one talking out of his arse.

Ok then.

There are people thinking Dundalk can finish in the top of the Eredivisie because Dundalk drew to the current no2 and i am the one talking out of his arse.

Ok then.

Name one person who said or thinks Dundalk could finish top of the Eredivisie? What has been said is we could do well in that league. Judging on our performances the past 2 years, There's no reason to think why we wouldn't.

Either way we will never know.

No back to talking about how lucky Dundalk were to get a point even though you never seen the game!

damemcd wrote: »
    think ground rent goes to SDCC and not to Rovers

I know SDCC own it and lease it to Rovers but would Rovers sub lease it to Dundalk or do SDCC have a 'right' to use it for other events ie Dundalk in this case?

Name one person who said or thinks Dundalk could finish top of the Eredivisie? What has been said is we could do well in that league. Judging on our performances the past 2 years, There's no reason to think why we wouldn't.

Either way we will never know.

No back to talking about how lucky Dundalk were to get a point even though you never seen the game!

I wonder where Dundalk would finish in the Dutch league, well up the table I suspect

Few posts up.
    We agree he isnt talking 12th?

• Advertisement
Advertisement