Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hapoel Beer Sheva beat Inter 2-0 in San Siro just 2 weeks ago.
    Maicabi Tel Aviv are a better side than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Pighead wrote: »
    Interestingly Southampton only drew 0-0 with an Israeli side last night who are not as good as Maccabi Tel Aviv. Outside of a league situation it's hard to assess just how good Dundalk are. So maybe you are right in saying they would struggle in the Championship. I was sure they would struggle in the Europa Group stages though and my hope was they could scrape a point somewhere along the way. They've proved me wrong and forced me to have a rethink. The downside with this season is it is going to be very hard to keep hold of the likes of Horgan and to a lesser extent McEleney and maybe Finn. This season could be as good as it gets for us. We will continue to have a very good side as long as Kenny is with us but this current side might be the best us Dundalk fans will ever see. Time will tell.

never said they would struggle at all at all!!! I simply refuted the comment that Championship is a lower standard of league than LOI and that Dundalk are a higher level than Championship level. I could envisage Dundalk in or about just off the playoff zone. And on their day, and with an off day or average performance they could compete with the Villas or Norwichs or Huddersfields or Brightons. But certainly not a level above those teams, no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Quick question; Was tallaght stadium the smallest stadium ever used for euorpean group matches.Crowd wise?Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

never said they would struggle at all at all!!! I simply refuted the comment that Championship is a lower standard of league than LOI and that Dundalk are a higher level than Championship level. I could envisage Dundalk in or about just off the playoff zone. And on their day, and with an off day or average performance they could compete with the Villas or Norwichs or Huddersfields or Brightons. But certainly not a level above those teams, no way.
    Never ever say 'No way' about this Dundalk team. They always find a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Theres a lot of cpmparing apples with oranges with grapes on this thread.

Lets just revel in how well an Irish teams is doing in Europe. We had our own run in Derry 10 years ago, and I envy the Dundalk fans now, they have taken it to another level and must be having the time of their lives.

The thing is, if Dundalk had got past Legia, they would be suffering similar beatings in the CL that the Poles are getting. I think thats undeniable, its a completely different level of football. But the days of an Irish team being afraid of teams from leagues like Israel, Holland, Poland, Hungary, Greece etc should be a thing of the past. Or should be. These leagues are no longer what they used to be. They have got worse over the years and we have improved. There is some decent football played in the LoI, despite what all the moaners say.

Dundalks big problem now will be keeping SK, and the likes of Horgan. Surely these 2, and probably others, deserve the try at a higher level? I know SK has tried in the past, but I think he's upped his game too in recent years, and maybe the Championship beckons for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

joeysoap wrote: »
    IMO as someone who was at the match last night, Shiields was the best player on the field, all heroes to be sure but Boyle, Massey, Gannon and Shields were magnificent. Maccabi didn't get a sniff at goal and they scored 3 against Zenit.
    Spot on. Shields was immense as he usually is when he starts in fairness. He's been unlucky to be the odd man out this season with regards to the starting 11 but he's a hell of an option to come off the bench or replace O'Donnell during one of his inevitable suspensions. Great to see Gannon play well last night. He's been under par this season but that was his best performance in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Quick question; Was tallaght stadium the smallest stadium ever used for euorpean group matches.Crowd wise?Thanks in advance

I would have thought so. Rules state a class 4 stadium at this level, and that requires 8.500 seats so I don't know how Dundalk got around that. What I do know is they had to install brand new dug- outs as the ones at Tallagh weren't deemed fit for this level and they had to erect a hospitality marquee for dignataries.

As an aside; aren't Dundalk fans unlucky with travel, there was a crash in the port tunnel before the Aviva match, which left a lot of fans arriving just before/ after kickoff.

And last night a vehicle overturned on the M1 around 6pm, again leaving the ground looking empty until kick off, fans in front of me only arrived after 20 mins into match. (I took the train/Luas)

I would have thought so. Rules state a class 4 stadium at this level, and that requires 8.500 seats so I don't know how Dundalk got around that.

As Pighead so eloquently said..................
    Never ever say 'No way' about this Dundalk team. They always find a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Interestingly Southampton only drew 0-0 with an Israeli side last night who are not as good as Maccabi Tel Aviv. Outside of a league situation it's hard to assess just how good Dundalk are. So maybe you are right in saying they would struggle in the Championship. I was sure they would struggle in the Europa Group stages though and my hope was they could scrape a point somewhere along the way. They've proved me wrong and forced me to have a rethink. The downside with this season is it is going to be very hard to keep hold of the likes of Horgan and to a lesser extent McEleney and maybe Finn. This season could be as good as it gets for us. We will continue to have a very good side as long as Kenny is with us but this current side might be the best us Dundalk fans will ever see. Time will tell.

You mean the team Southampton played are not the current champions of Israel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What an unbelievable result for Dundalk last night. Before they took on Legia I remember being asked if this was the best LoI team of all time (well, my lifetime anyway), at the time I didn't think so, but since then they have removed any doubt. It is such a feel good success story. Stephen Kenny has been absolutely magnificent in how he has organised his team and it is so refreshing to see an Irish team play football like this too, I don't think we've ever seen an Irish side play like this and that is including the national team.

Horgan has to get an Irish call up. He is probably the most in form Irish player there is at the moment and it's in a position that Ireland need at the moment too, we have a real lack of players like him. A poster said a few posts up that he is basically MOTM in every game he plays, that is a great description of him. I can't see any other Dundalk players being called up to the squad as it stands but maybe that will change in the future. McEleney always impresses me too and O'Donnell/Shields have been brilliant in every game they have played in Europe.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    I'm sure football fans across Europe seen the Dundalk team has 11 Irish starters & nearly a full Irish Squad.
    They probably wonder how many are in the Ireland squad or have been capped only to then realize not one member has received an Irish cap. Incredible.

The more I think about this it amazes me. This would not happen in any other country in Europe. It really goes to show that there is a problem in Irish football, Dundalk are really doing this against all the adversity and it makes it all the sweeter IMO. It almost feels like part of a movement. I'm not from Dundalk and have only been there once (following Kildare County) but this is the proudest I have ever been of any Irish sporting team, they are heroes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A lot of kudos go to the other fans of LOI teams who turned out and gave their support last night. I sat beside a few Rovers fans who are a credit to their team.
    This is more about the LOI and where we stand and the support we should get from the liked of JD and less about comparing us to Championship teams.

The LOI is not nearly as bad as many think. It's improving rapidly and results like Dundalk's last night will only make it better.

The LOI should be giving them help by stretching out the league just for once. We play 5 times before we play Zenith who will only have played once. I would support that for any LOI side in the same position.

You mean the team Southampton played are not the current champions of Israel ?

So you genuinely think Dundalk would beat Southampton.

There is no right or wrong answer in your belief as such, but on the balance of evidence, (in my belief) they would most definitely not

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A lot of kudos go to the other fans of LOI teams who turned out and gave their support last night. I sat beside a few Rovers fans who are a credit to their team.
    This is more about the LOI and where we stand and the support we should get from the liked of JD and less about comparing us to Championship teams.

The LOI is not nearly as bad as many think. It's improving rapidly and results like Dundalk's last night will only make it better.

The LOI should be giving them help by stretching out the league just for once. We play 5 times before we play Zenith who will only have played once. I would support that for any LOI side in the same position.

The problem with that being clubs would have to pay their 9 month contract players the extra few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

https://twitter.com/EuropaLeague/status/781789805168459776

Not something you see every day! When did an Irish player playing for an English team last make a team of the week?

_Puma_ wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/EuropaLeague/status/781789805168459776

Not something you see every day! When did an Irish player playing for an English team last make a team of the week?

Gartland should be in there!

Good old Totti! 40 last week!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I was surprised that Lens of Fenerbahce didnt make the team of the week.
    Even more surprised when i saw he was chosen player of the week.

I want that explained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I wonder will Delaney make any comment? It seems the problem child is growing up despite gross neglect...

Not that anyone needs to hear from him. But he must be itching to take some credit. And he must know that the head of the country's football organisation not commenting on another landmark night does looks strange.
    Delaney statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I didn't mean any other LOI team, my own team Bohs wouldn't be expected to get a result there.

What I do think is that the better LOI teams in the last ten or fifteen years or so would be capable of such results.

Shels in the mid noughties, Bohs 2008/2009, Rovers 2010/2011 and this Dundalk team.

I'd rate this Dundalk team as the best of those bunch certainly, but a lot of that has to do with the approach to these games, there's no fear at all.

Is anyone who's followed LOI football in this time, and this Dundalk team really suprised at the last two results? I don't think so.

I'm sorry but you're just wrong. The Fenlon Shels/Bohs teams did not play this style of football at all. Dundalk look like a continental European team and look like veterans of the Europa League in their first two games in the competition. Shels/Bohs were not as technically good and were set up to play the British way.

EDIT: Shels/Bohs may have been just as dominant in the league, but that's a different ball game. They haven't a cut on this Dundalk side in Europe.

IMO as someone who was at the match last night, Shields was the best player on the field, all heroes to be sure but Boyle, Massey, Gannon and Shields were magnificent. Maccabi didn't get a sniff at goal and they scored 3 against Zenit.

Interesting that the AZ manager said Dundalk didn't play 'British' football and deserved a draw

But reading the reports on the Maccabi website they blame themselves for not winning (nothing to do with Dundalk ) and we play a British style of football.

“It was not a simple game and a style that was different from what we have encountered in the past. The British way of playing is high tempo and physical and we unfortunately had a tough time with that today............"

Kick up the ass time : forgot completely about the big man who also played a blinder add Brian Gartland to that and to be fair Rogers did everything asked of him. Maccabi might have had a fair share of the ball but the Dundalk defence was solid, the fans were more anxious near the end than the team were.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you're just wrong. The Fenlon Shels/Bohs teams did not play this style of football at all. Dundalk look like a continental European team and look like veterans of the Europa League in their first two games in the competition. Shels/Bohs were not as technically good and were set up to play the British way.

EDIT: Shels/Bohs may have been just as dominant in the league, but that's a different ball game. They haven't a cut on this Dundalk side in Europe.

I think playing the right way, those teams are not too far away. Man for man, they're close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Didn't see az game fcuking work, last night was just wow. Not a player looking out of place on the pitch for Dundalk they all looked like they belonged there.

Kenny what a man, talk of players moving on what about the man steering the ship? I'll hate the day he goes but the memories he's left the Towns fans, present and in the future will live long.

On the money side of things, player/management bonuses how much will they add up to? Does anyone (Pighead) think the owners will take a slice/ground improvements???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I guess thats the RTE, team and manager of the year sewn up as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

so how will that money be spent...............?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

SantryRed wrote: »

Very difficult to compare. Qualification for the EL has become a lot easier in the last 6 or so years. Shels would have dropped straight in like Dundalk did after they played Lille had the same rules been in place. Drogheda after going out to Kiev would have been put in a 1st round and would have had a decent chance of getting in.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Agreed. If Dublin win its between them and Tipperary hurlers. Last year was a once off, won't happen again. I voted for Dundalk (natch) but was surprised at the result. You could feel the 'surprise' in the studio at the result.

so how will that money be spent...............?

Well if Dundalk don't know ...........

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/sport/217286/no-resolution-is-sight-as-oriel-park-lease-saga-rumbles-on.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Mayo have been fairly ****e all year bar the AI final... if they get it, it really would be a travesty.
    Donegal were a class above 2012, Clare excellent in '13, the cork ladies had done 9 in 10 in '14 (altho cant comment much on games).
    The only team who may deserve to beat Dundalk is Connacht, but theyl have to improve on their start to this season and prove it wasnt a once off/be in peoples heads come the time of the vote. Winning last years award could count against Dundalk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The lease the crux of all issues it seems, and surprisingly it's the council holding things up. Hope there is no cutting of the nose despite their face situation with this, they see what is trying to be made of the club.

user2011 wrote: »
    The lease the crux of all issues it seems, and surprisingly it's the council holding things up. Hope there is no cutting of the nose despite their face situation with this, they see what is trying to be made of the club.

Word on the street say the council want €400,000 arrears of rates. I don't know who runs councils now the councillors or the staff of county councils so I don't know how much leeway there is. I suspect the council, in common with everyone else, are seeing €€€€€€ signs.

• Advertisement

Group D

1 Zenit Saint Petersburg 6 Points
    2 Dundalk 4 Points
    3 AZ Alkmaar 1 Point
    4 Maccabi Tel Aviv 0 Points

Next round is on 20th, these are the dates of matches since the last round

Zenit : 2/10 (same as Dundalk) and Sunday 16th
    AZ: 2/10 (same as Dundalk) and Saturday 15th
    Maccabi; No matches.
    Dundalk: 2/10 and 4/10 and 7/10 and 11/10 and 14/10.

The UK TV panel couldn't believe that Dundalk played a league match on the Monday before travelling to Alkmaar. What would they make of that lineup ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Group D

1 Zenit Saint Petersburg 6 Points
    2 Dundalk 4 Points
    3 AZ Alkmaar 1 Point
    4 Maccabi Tel Aviv 0 Points

Next round is on 20th, these are the dates of matches since the last round

Zenit : 2/10 (same as Dundalk) and Sunday 16th
    AZ: 2/10 (same as Dundalk) and Saturday 15th
    Maccabi; No matches.
    Dundalk: 2/10 and 4/10 and 7/10 and 11/10 and 14/10.

The UK TV panel couldn't believe that Dundalk played a league match on the Monday before travelling to Alkmaar. What would they make of that lineup ?

Was it not Dundalk who looked to have these games postponed during the earlier rounds? Same with City. What exactly would you suggest now? That they are played after the end of the season?

gufc21 wrote: »
    Was it not Dundalk who looked to have these games postponed during the earlier rounds? Same with City. What exactly would you suggest now? That they are played after the end of the season?

Think just pointing out how tough it is for them.

Think just pointing out how tough it is for them.

Ah i know, but they were going on about it on second captains too. Its a situation of their own making afaik, they just have to manage their squad as well as they can i guess.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Ah i know, but they were going on about it on second captains too. Its a situation of their own making afaik, they just have to manage their squad as well as they can i guess.

Probably is of their own making. Shouldn't have been so bloody successful. I was just making the point that the other 3 teams have a much easier period between the 2nd round and the 3rd round. I never mentioned extending the season.

Probably is of their own making. Shouldn't have been so bloody successful. I was just making the point that the other 3 teams have a much easier period between the 2nd round and the 3rd round. I never mentioned extending the season.

Im not knocking their success. Uts a brilliant achievement. I just don't think there is a point complaining about their cluster**** of a schedule when its the schedule they chose to have.

Lot of the players of those other 3 teams are on international duty.
    Not as bad as having to play 3 or 4 league matches but 10/14 days of only training with an incomplete squad isnt ideal either.

Still, i wish the Dutch FA were so cooperating with the clubs playing in Europe.
    Instead they put PSV - Feyenoord on the calendar on a sunday after a midweek of PSV - Atletico M on Tuesday and Feyenoord - Man Utd on Thursday.

That's sounds a bit LOI'ish all right.

Dundalk's problems don't end with the match on 20th. Between the Zenit match on 20th and return in St Petersburg on 03/11 (effectively between 22/23rd and 28th, when the league ends. Dundalk have 4 league matches to play - Bohs and Galway at home and Pats and Longford away. Festival of football it certainly is.

Add another match to above :):):)

Stevie Wonder could see coming.

The UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary (CEDB) has ordered Legia Warszawa to play its next UEFA competition match as host club behind closed doors. The club has also been fined € 80,000. It was decided to close the proceedings regarding racist behaviour.

Real Madrid next home match. Tough s**t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's sounds a bit LOI'ish all right.

Dundalk's problems don't end with the match on 20th. Between the Zenit match on 20th and return in St Petersburg on 03/11 (effectively between 22/23rd and 28th, when the league ends. Dundalk have 4 league matches to play - Bohs and Galway at home and Pats and Longford away. Festival of football it certainly is.

Feel sorry for Dundalk, all these games might cost them the league, and possibly the Cup double too. Cork just 1 pt behind now, and with more rest than Dundalk they could easily overtake them and beat them in the Cup Final.

But then again, the piles of money they are earning in the EL might ease any pain.

The FAI really should look into the period when European football starts and dont play league matches on friday in july/august but just like any normal league, use the weekend sat/sun more

EL matches on wed/thu make it impossible to play the fridays and i guess this friday league was done becuase of what happens at the other side of the Irish sea.
    But in july/augustus there is no need to take them in mind.

Not sure if this makes sense when you read it, it does in my head though....

Dunphy wont be mentioning Dundalk tonight as much maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

inforfun wrote: »
    The FAI really should look into the period when European football starts and dont play league matches on friday in july/august but just like any normal league, use the weekend sat/sun more

EL matches on wed/thu make it impossible to play the fridays and i guess this friday league was done becuase of what happens at the other side of the Irish sea.

Without a doubt,if they want clubs to progress and be competitive in Europe then they need to come up with a fixtures plan that will help these teams,remember years ago nearly all the LOI games were played on Sundays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So you genuinely think Dundalk would beat Southampton.

There is no right or wrong answer in your belief as such, but on the balance of evidence, (in my belief) they would most definitely not

No Pighead is saying that I just pointed out to him that the team Southampton played are the Israeli champions after he was saying Dundalk did beater than Southampton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

There still tends to be a bit of fixture disruption when the teams in Europe get through a couple of the qualifying rounds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

It wont happen every season,but it would do no harm to have a plan in place just in case a team does qualify for the the group stages of a European competition

inforfun wrote: »

I think maybe Friday matches during July and August only, no premiership on TV, no Europe matches, and when the PL league matches start on a Friday change to weekend. A lot of families would not like weekend football in July / August

• Advertisement

We know the teams involved every year.why not front load a couple of fixtures before the break? Play 4 midweek games at the beginning of the season. Is there room for that?

Advertisement