Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

It looks like it's all but guaranteed the last game will be a decider for qualifying. Who wouldnt have taken that?

Lads can all hold their heads up high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I think this campaign is a real eye opener for Irish football,especially mind change the mindset of developing players domestically. Dundalk look very comfortable at this level against International's and are improving every game and growing in confidence. Fatigue playe a big role tonight, they still performed extremely well but did some player did look a bit jaded which is understandable. 3 or 4 player should be called up for the national team not just Horgan. Is Shane Duffy better than Andy Boyle?, Massey I think is better than Ward and then Horgan who will inevitably get his call. Chris Shields is a big of an unsung player aswell, he has been brilliant in the last 2 European games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

wadacrack wrote: »
    I think this campaign is a real eye opener for Irish football,especially mind change the mindset of developing players domestically. Dundalk look very comfortable at this level against International's and are improving every game and growing in confidence. Fatigue playe a big role tonight, they still performed extremely well but did some player did look a bit jaded which is understandable. 3 or 4 player should be called up for the national team not just Horgan. Is Shane Duffy better than Andy Boyle?, Massey I think is better than Ward and then Horgan who will inevitably get his call. Chris Shields is a big of an unsung player aswell, he has been brilliant in the last 2 European games.

Don't overlook Ronan Finn. He was fabulous tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

wadacrack wrote: »

There are certainly players in that Dundalk Squad who are better than what gets called up for the Irish squad for sure. Boyle has to be a better option than McShane, Horgan rather than McGeady or Hayes. Massey is worth a look too.

It's the way Dundalk play that is the way forward for clubs here and hopefully the national team. Our national team just hoof it forward, keeper aims for Walters head from every kick out no matter who we are playing. We've seen Dundalk, they play out from the back and keep the ball even against top class opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Duff wrote: »
    5th game in 12 days. The FAI sentenced them to this defeat.

And another 3 by next Friday. Unreal. They are the best team I have ever supported. a more honest bunch of lads you could ever have playing for your team, I was in the west stand too, and while Zenit were slicker, Dundalk were worth a draw. Says it all that we are disappointed with the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yet again this team amaze me. I should have known better but I thought tonight might be a bridge too far for them. Thought we could potentially get a hiding. To have them on the ropes with 20 minutes to go was unreal. And that was with Horgan having a quiet night.

Thus whole European journey ha's been ridiculous. 4 years ago we would have struggled to beat the 15th best team in Ireland. Now we're putting it up to the 15th best team in Europe. These truly are glory days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Brave and quality performance by Dundalk tonight. Some great passing, kept the ball well and attacked well. Real pity they didn't make it 2-0 when Massey hit the post. Real shame about Sava's error as he was doing fine up until then. Still keeper is something of a weakness for Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

As someone previously mentioned I genuinely think Zenit would beat Ireland. I'd nearly go as far as saying they would beat Ireland comfortably playing that slick passing game. Just shows how far Dundalk have come. Fech the fai and their scheduling of matches every few days, really could of got a draw or possibly the win if they didn't have a game at the start of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I get people are pissed off with the scheduling but to be fair there was a lot of leeway given with the schedule earlier in the season during the qualifying rounds. Not like the rest of the games played can be held off for much longer since it impacts other teams in the league. Its the price of success though, credit to Dundalk, they've coped well so far.

Hopefully this season extension they're talking about for future seasons might reduce the impact of European matches on the schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Chris Shields looked like a fully fledged international on that pitch. A warrior's performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks, I was driving the kit truck for Zenit and was given a Dundalk jersey signed by all the Dundalk players :pac:

I'm thinking to maybe give it away on a Facebook competition through the business page (that was doing the transport).

Just not sure if the audience of the business page would be the right audience for such a competition though so any other suggestions welcome.

Also, what about timing? Would it be best to run the competition immediately and say it's from last nights game against Zenit, or wait until the tournament is over I wonder?

Wait and see if they win the league again. They have 3 bites at this and hopefully they will take one if them, even better if its on Sunday. I wouldn't have any idea how to get the best offer however, maybe a well known, well run organisation. Ie jack and Jill foundation, through a 'good' media source, Ryan Tubridy, Joe Duffy etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

With a bit of luck,cork lose tonight (no disrespect) and dundalk can start resting players and keep the A team for cup final/ Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

With a bit of luck,cork lose tonight (no disrespect) and dundalk can start resting players and keep the A team for cup final/ Europe

Strangely enough, I hope for the exact opposite :D (no disrespect!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Pighead wrote: »
    Yet again this team amaze me. I should have known better but I thought tonight might be a bridge too far for them. Thought we could potentially get a hiding. To have them on the ropes with 20 minutes to go was unreal. And that was with Horgan having a quiet night.

Thus whole European journey ha's been ridiculous. 4 years ago we would have struggled to beat the 15th best team in Ireland. Now we're putting it up to the 15th best team in Europe. These truly are glory days.

The most amazing thing about them is that they aren't showing any signs that they are going to collapse due to fixture congestion. I had been hoping that City would benefit from this in the league, but ye were worthy winners when we came up to Oriel, the match that to all intents and purposes ended any realistic hopes we had of winning the league.

I also hoped that the weight of expectation might have derailed ye, but again there's no sign of that. Dundalk players seem more than able to cope with the expectation and seem hungry to win every game.

I'm reduced to pinning my hopes on the fact that ye have to travel back from Russia just a few days before the cup final, and that finally the Dundalk players will have an off-day :D

Dundalk are doing the league proud, and it's great to see them doing so well in Europe. Happy days indeed (if you're a Dundalk fan :( )

I'd settle for a draw tonight 😗 and another draw on Sunday 😗.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Omackeral wrote: »
    Chris Shields looked like a fully fledged international on that pitch. A warrior's performance.

Came on to post this, Chris Shields has been amazing the past few weeks in any of the games I've seen him play for Dundalk. Aside from Horgan, he is the player who has impressed me most and he doesn't seem to get the recognition of others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Came on to post this, Chris Shields has been amazing the past few weeks in any of the games I've seen him play for Dundalk. Aside from Horgan, he is the player who has impressed me most and he doesn't seem to get the recognition of others.

It's amazing to think when O Donnells fit and Kenny plays with Mountany or Mennan on the right, Shields is not considered a starter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

not just the past few weeks. I've said it before for a long time and had it criticised that I think he is their key player and they are a different (weaker) side without him. They are.

Maybe not for just the past few weeks but I have watched a good 5 or 6 Dundalk games over the past few months and he has really stood out for me in them anyway. It is crazy that he isn't even guaranteed a game when O'Donnell is fit, but they really do have great options in the middle of the pitch. Finn has been one of the standout players in the league for a few years now and Benson has been impressive too, has two goals to his name against Legia & Zenit now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fair play top the other LOI teams who came and supported Dundalk who are league representatives, especially the Rovers fans who turned out last night in numbers and got involved in the singing, clapping etc.
    Great form lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bit late on this but I thought it was a tremendous performance. A pity they couldn't get that cushion of a second goal which might have shifted the dynamic of the game, but they came very close: hitting the post, that narrow wide in the first half, and that break in the second half when, I think it was Kilduff, just couldn't take the ball on his left foot. Zenit will have gone away knowing they were given a real game.

It's amazing to think when O Donnells fit and Kenny plays with Mountany or Mennan on the right, Shields is not considered a starter

O'Donnell and Shields rarely play well together. For some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Don't overlook Ronan Finn. He was fabulous tonight.

Dont overlook Brian Gartland who was outstanding yet again

O'Donnell and Shields rarely play well together. For some reason.

I agree. Seldom start together and when they do the team seems not to gel as much. Different when Shields (mostly) or O'Donnell (few times, Wexford was one) come on as sub, then there appears to be no problem, and that might be because they are subbing another player and the other one continues doing what he did before. I can't help wondering what would have happened if Keane had come on last night with 20 mins to go and we were still 1 -0 up. (In place of Mountney, not Gannon)

Did anybody ever see so many riot police at a match before? There must have been a hundred of 'public order unit' Garda outside the ground in full riot gear, along with the ' normal' for this type of match Garda . The only protesters I saw were about 4/5 standing rather meekly near the entrance and not a peep out of them. There was a few Russian lads walking around and a few of those were looking for tickets (€80 with touts, which the Russian lads weren't prepared to pay)

joeysoap wrote: »
    Did anybody ever see so many riot police at a match before? There must have been a hundred of 'public order unit' Garda outside the ground in full riot gear, along with the ' normal' for this type of match Garda . The only protesters I saw were about 4/5 standing rather meekly near the entrance and not a peep out of them. There was a few Russian lads walking around and a few of those were looking for tickets (€80 with touts, which the Russian lads weren't prepared to pay)

Initially I thought the vibe before kick off outside the ground was not good but in fact the Zenit fans were really sound, spoke to a number of them after the game and they had huge respect for Dundalk and were intent on enjoying their trip to Dublin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR60VRnTj4I

Very considered interview by Stephen Kenny after the Zenit game, when you consider the Russians were in the last 16 of the Champions League last year the fact that the Dundalk Manager is deflated by a 2-1 defeat says it all about how far this team has come. Qualification from Group D is a real possibility and it would not shock me now if Dundalk got a result in St Petersburg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Initially I thought the vibe before kick off outside the ground was not good but in fact the Zenit fans were really sound, spoke to a number of them after the game and they had huge respect for Dundalk and were intent on enjoying their trip to Dublin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR60VRnTj4I

Very considered interview by Stephen Kenny after the Zenit game, when you consider the Russians were in the last 16 of the Champions League last year the fact that the Dundalk Manager is deflated by a 2-1 defeat says it all about how far this team has come. Qualification from Group D is a real possibility and it would not shock me now if Dundalk got a result in St Petersburg.

I would love to see them get something from the away leg but I think it would be next to a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Philly_C

Anyone know anywhere in Dublin City that will definitely show the Dundalk Zenit game and perhaps even have the sound on? Big ask I know with United on at the same time!

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Hey folks, I was driving the kit truck for Zenit and was given a Dundalk jersey signed by all the Dundalk players :pac:

I'm thinking to maybe give it away on a Facebook competition through the business page (that was doing the transport).

Just not sure if the audience of the business page would be the right audience for such a competition though so any other suggestions welcome.

Also, what about timing? Would it be best to run the competition immediately and say it's from last nights game against Zenit, or wait until the tournament is over I wonder?
    Wait and see if they win the league again. They have 3 bites at this and hopefully they will take one if them, even better if its on Sunday. I wouldn't have any idea how to get the best offer however, maybe a well known, well run organisation. Ie jack and Jill foundation, through a 'good' media source, Ryan Tubridy, Joe Duffy etc

Thanks for the reply. Apologies for my ignorance, but you mean wait and see if they win the LOI again, right?

What if they make it far in the Europa league? Is it likely? It would probably be a more once off achievement given that an Irish team wins the LOI every year, but it's rare for one to make it so far in the Europa league?

Is this the furthest any Irish team has made it in the Europa league?

:) well, yeah, some team wins the league of Ireland every year, but this is the first time since the 80's a team has won 3 in a row.

Your last question: no, Shamrock Rovers have made it this far on a previous occasion, about 5 years ago

Ok cool, if Dundalk qualify from the group will that be the furthest though?

When will it be known if Dundalk have secured the 3rd year in a row?

cormie wrote: »
    Ok cool, if Dundalk qualify from the group will that be the furthest though?

When will it be known if Dundalk have secured the 3rd year in a row?

I think you need to get out more :)

Huge week for the League of Ireland in European competition, hopefully the Turners Cross will be packed to the rafters for the Cork City - AS Roma in the UEFA Youth League tomorrow night. While on Thursday Dundalk take on Zenit St Petersburg in the Europa League Group D away in Russia. Two draws would represent a great outcome for Irish Football this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Cork City are going to be up against it tomorrow night.Roma just beat Inter Milan in the Cup Final 4-0.I hope City won't get annihilated.Highlights here.
    https://youtu.be/oRy7ph89-Wg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork City are going to be up against it tomorrow night.Roma just beat Inter Milan in the Cup Final 4-0.I hope City won't get annihilated.Highlights here.
    https://youtu.be/oRy7ph89-Wg

Last 5 games they won 2-0, 2-0, 6-1, 4-0 and 4-0.

They look a fine team and city will be under fierce pressure. I hope they can keep it competitive till ht at least. It is a very good and honest city team but this is a different level of team than anything they have played before. Expecting a fine crowd down the X !!

I think you need to get out more :)

I'm sorry, I don't really follow any sport :o

From wikipedia: "Dundalk were crowned champions for the third year in a row on 23 October after a 2–1 win against Bohemians" :pac:

So they won it 3 years in a row :) Maybe I'll wait and see what happens after their Zenit game tomorrow and try run some competition after :)

Best of luck to the young Cork lads tonight. They are up against it, Roma look a terrific side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Anyone know any streaming of the city and roma game tonight? Atleast Hjk recorded their home leg...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Dundalk FC ‏@DundalkFC
    Rogers (GK), Gannon, Gartland, Boyle (C), Shields, Horgan, Mountney, McMillan, Finn, McEleney, Massey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

None of the Dundalk lads will complain about Bray in October after tonight.

Almost a goal for Dundalk there, mis-hit cross hits the far post. Decent start overall by Dundalk, passing well even on a snowy pitch

Dundalk giving away a lot of ball now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

When Zenit raise the tempo they look very threatening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Zenit hanging on against all the pressure Dundalk are imposing on them.
    C'mon the Town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is this on freesat by any chance.

It seems to be available free on the standard sky tv package (not with sports) so thought it musn't be blocked.

Riding their luck now.

Hanging on a lot now. Need half time to rescue them

Anywhere to tune into this game? Is it free to view on sky by any chance? Or if not.. Any streams going? PM if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Anywhere to tune into this game? Is it free to view on sky by any chance? Or if not.. Any streams going? PM if necessary.

Yes on Eir on channel 423

• Advertisement
Advertisement