Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It'll be particularly easy to lose in Israel if you play only one game in the month between the cup final and the last game on 8th December.

Rustiness will be the biggest problem in the last two games. They'd be well off to organise a friendly perhaps somewhere hot..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

King Kenny will know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think two draws will be enough for them to go through. Zenit will at least draw the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Are Tel Aviv not in second place as they've scored more goals? Livescore has them in second but the table is broken down into goals for and against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

dan1895 wrote: »
    Are Tel Aviv not in second place as they've scored more goals? Livescore has them in second but the table is broken down into goals for and against.

Pretty sure it's head to head. Not brought into the equation yet as they haven't played twice? It'd be strange if the rules aren't the same as the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dan1895 wrote: »

Europe is head to head records 1st

The teams are ranked according to points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss).

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine the rankings higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;

superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;

higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;

higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;

if, after having applied criteria 1 to 4, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 12 apply;

superior goal difference in all group matches;

higher number of goals scored in all group matches;

higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;

higher number of wins in all group matches;

higher number of away wins in all group matches;

lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
    higher club coefficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Cork City V Roma in the UEFA Youth league in starting soon at 2pm.They are 1-3 down from first leg.Id be delighted if they can get a draw.Its the first match in Roma's revamped training ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

0-0 at half time against a team that won 6-1 the other day and against some of Europe's future stars.Great stuff from City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Its very disappointing how little promotion there has been about the Cork underage team who are competing in Europe today. This needs to improve for their next fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Cork have been outstanding in the competition. The u19 league is getting stronger every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Its very disappointing how little promotion there has been about the Cork underage team who are competing in Europe today. This needs to improve for their next fixture.

Is there another one or is it knock out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Finished 1-0 to Roma. Such a brave performance by the u19's, a pity they conceded those two goals in the 87th and 90th minute at the Cross a few weeks back, but thats the difference with the top academy's I suppose.

Fair play to the Rebel Radio lads for flying out and covering the game live, was great to listen in while at work.

I think 3 or 4 of that team will be with the senior squad for next season, and a few more will end up at Waterford and Cobh. Watch out for a player called Alec Byrne, he's still u17 but has been playing for the u19's and absolutely bossed Helsinki and Roma at Turners Cross, if we can keep a hold of him, he's going to be one of the best we've ever produced.

CHealy wrote: »
    Finished 1-0 to Roma. Such a brave performance by the u19's, a pity they conceded those two goals in the 87th and 90th minute at the Cross a few weeks back, but thats the difference with the top academy's I suppose.

Fair play to the Rebel Radio lads for flying out and covering the game live, was great to listen in while at work.

I think 3 or 4 of that team will be with the senior squad for next season, and a few more will end up at Waterford and Cobh. Watch out for a player called Alec Byrne, he's still u17 but has been playing for the u19's and absolutely bossed Helsinki and Roma at Turners Cross, if we can keep a hold of him, he's going to be one of the best we've ever produced.
    One or two will probably end up in England but maybe some have refused moves away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Didn't realise this was on. Just as well it was a cold day and I didn't reveal the Roma jersey I'm wearing today!

wadacrack wrote: »
    One or two will probably end up in England but maybe some have refused moves away.

Possibly, I really think we'll have a job keeping a hold of Alec Byrne. Ogbene is the obvious one to head accross but I know his family are very strict about education and with the UCC scholarship program in place I fully expect to keep onto him for another few years.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Is there another one or is it knock out?

I was just told that it is a knock out competition. I mistakenly though that they were in a league. Its a pity it is over for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

I was just told that it is a knock out competition. I mistakenly though that they were in a league. Its a pity it is over for them.

Ya fair play to them. Good experience and hopefully a group that can develop one for the irish side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

CHealy wrote: »
    Possibly, I really think we'll have a job keeping a hold of Alec Byrne. Ogbene is the obvious one to head accross but I know his family are very strict about education and with the UCC scholarship program in place I fully expect to keep onto him for another few years.

The link with UCC could really come in handy, if a player has the option of staying in Cork, get a third level education, first team football, european experience and train in top facilities (when the new FAI centre opens) it really would have to be a top team from England coming calling for a player to move I would think.

Players could still get their move to England at the age of 22 or 23 when they have the degree in the back pocket and a few years first team football under the belt. Cork could become even more of a breeding ground for Irish footballers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The link with UCC could really come in handy, if a player has the option of staying in Cork, get a third level education, first team football, european experience and train in top facilities (when the new FAI centre opens) it really would have to be a top team from England coming calling for a player to move I would think.

Players could still get their move to England at the age of 22 or 23 when they have the degree in the back pocket and a few years first team football under the belt. Cork could become even more of a breeding ground for Irish footballers.

The deal with city cannot be underestimated. It really is a feather in the cap for the club. Scholarships awarded to players could and really should mean we can hold onto a few players we would otherwise lose. Best of both worlds for both players and club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The deal with city cannot be underestimated. It really is a feather in the cap for the club. Scholarships awarded to players could and really should mean we can hold onto a few players we would otherwise lose. Best of both worlds for both players and club.

Do all clubs not have these? Ourselves, Rovers def do with DKIT and Tallaght IT

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

A UCC scholarship is a step above either of them though I would think. It's on par with what UCD have been offering young players.

Buzzing for the game against Alkmaar tonight.

This is our biggest game since the league decider against Cork in Oriel.

It's days like this that fans in the LOI live for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

AZ not in great form recently.
    But Wout Weghorst is.
    7 goals in 671 minutes in the Eredivisie, 3 in his last 2 matches 2 of them against Ajax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

No matter what happens today we will be going into the last game with a chance but needing a result.

Hopefully though we can get the win to only need a draw in tel aviv

Not trying to be smart but the two of them together wouldn't come close to the level of UCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

inforfun wrote: »
    AZ not in great form recently.
    But Wout Weghorst is.
    7 goals in 671 minutes in the Eredivisie, 3 in his last 2 matches 2 of them against Ajax.
    Did they not win a friendly 4-1 during the international break - I think I heard it was Bestikas

eamonpk wrote: »
    Did they not win a friendly 4-1 during the international break - I think I heard it was Bestikas
    A friendly result is irrelevant really. AZ looked very poor against Roda at the weekend, very vulnerable defensively. I think if Dundalk can defend well they will create enough chances to win the game. But they have a few doubts with O'Donnell, Shields and Finn

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

A friendly result is irrelevant really. AZ looked very poor against Roda at the weekend, very vulnerable defensively. I think if Dundalk can defend well they will create enough chances to win the game. But they have a few doubts with O'Donnell, Shields and Finn

They rested their whole team at the weekend i read somewere

were full strength, could have lost the game to a poor Roda side who are bottom of the Eredivise

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

I just hope Dundalk haven't had too much of a break.

Inforfun any input for us?

eamonpk wrote: »
    They did. But a friendly during the international break has no value whatsoever.
    AZ XI - Besiktas XI would describe it better.

They didnt. Makes no sense to rest players on Sunday for a thursday match.
    were full strength, could have lost the game to a poor Roda side who are bottom of the Eredivise
    The thing with Roda is that they are poor indeed but still pretty hard to break down.
    When Zwolle goes to Feyenoord and come out with things like "We brought the Roda bus" and put out a 5-4-1 on the pitch, you can probably guess how much fun playing Roda is.
    And down there in the south on that plastic pitch doesnt make it easier.

And down there in the south on that plastic pitch doesnt make it easier.

So we should stuck with Oriel ?:) :)

( no I know we couldn't)

I am convinced that a couple of clubs in Holland wouldnt be playing Eredivisie (for so long) now if it wasnt for their plastic pitch.
    Andi can honestly say that i have never seen a match played on plastic that i fully enjoyed. Or where you can think: That would not have been nice to watch on a real pitch.

Plastic worked for hockey, it doesnt for football.

Anyway, 7000 Feyenoord supporters in Manchester.
    317 AZ supporters in Dublin.
    No worries, they are harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

No worries, they are harmless.

A very sound bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Zenit v Tel aviv game on at 4 so will know going into the match if 2 draws will do us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

I'm assuming it is like the other games... But is eir sport unlocked for those without the sports package on sky for this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Zenit v Tel aviv game on at 4 so will know going into the match if 2 draws will do us
    Good start to the evening for Dundalk with Zenit putting out a strong team for their game against Tel Aviv. Just starting now. Hopefully they dish out a damn good trashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Zenit 1 up half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Zenit won 2-0. Good news for Dundalk, 2 draws will be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Forget the two draws, Dundalk need to go out and size tonight with both hands, They are capable of beating AZ at home having got the draw away, Win tonight and their through, very hard to go to Israel and get the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

They are not through if they win tonight. If they won tonight and lost by two in Tel-Aviv, they'd be out on head to head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk's team:

1 Gary Rogers (GK)
    2 Seán Gannon
    3 Brian Gartland
    4 Andy Boyle
    6 Stephen O'Donnell (C)
    7 Daryl Horgan
    10 Ronan Finn
    11 Patrick McEleney
    14 Dane Massey
    16 Ciaran Kilduff
    18 Robbie Benson

No McMillian or Shields starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Dundalk's team:

1 Gary Rogers (GK)
    2 Seán Gannon
    3 Brian Gartland
    4 Andy Boyle
    6 Stephen O'Donnell (C)
    7 Daryl Horgan
    10 Ronan Finn
    11 Patrick McEleney
    14 Dane Massey
    16 Ciaran Kilduff
    18 Robbie Benson

No McMillian or Shields starting.

Still strong side

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know anywhere in Kinsale showing this?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know anywhere in Kinsale showing this?

I'd say go in to any bar and ask them to stick on 423 on Sky, there can hardly be anything else on and bars will be quiet enough now anyway, they should be only too glad to try and keep punters in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd say go in to any bar and ask them to stick on 423 on Sky, there can hardly be anything else on and bars will be quiet enough now anyway, they should be only too glad to try and keep punters in...

The Man U match is on though and lets face it, that will take priority.

Advertisement