Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

AZ 1 up. Dundalk pay for starting slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Just not in the game atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That was coming right from the start. AZ are looking so sharp whereas Dundalk just look weary and seem to be trudging along (not that i can blame them, the full season is finally catching up on them).

Not the usual Dundalk intensity here at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,542 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So if they lose.

They need to win in Israel.and hope AZ don't beat Zenit in their last game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd say go in to any bar and ask them to stick on 423 on Sky, there can hardly be anything else on and bars will be quiet enough now anyway, they should be only too glad to try and keep punters in...

Yep, got a spot, cheers. I rang the blue haven and they said they weren't showing it. Dalton's had the TV off but not anymore :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Dundalk playing their way into this game now in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ohhhhhh!

Playing like a team who haven't seen each other in a while.

I think the break came at the wrong time for Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭crushproof

Some difference the break they have had has made. A real shame, clearly not the same intensity as the weeks gone by. Still holding their own though so never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

What will happen...

If az, tel Aviv and Dundalk All finish in 5 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

What will happen...

Goal difference

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

noodler wrote: »
    So if they lose.

They need to win in Israel.and hope AZ don't beat Zenit in their last game
    Yes. Still in with a chance of qualifying going into the last game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

paulie21 wrote: »
    Goal difference

Would put Dundalk through so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Would put Dundalk through so
    So a draw in Israel and another Zenit win would put Dundalk through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Poor performance tonight. Only Finn was any player near his best. I think a competitive as possible friendly at Oriel Park should be arranged before the Maccabi game.

TheCitizen wrote: »

I forgot about that.

Just assumed a draw would put them out due to head to head with AZ.

Never thought about AZ -Macabi head to head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

What will happen...

A round-robin of the matches between the sides is used. Essentially, a mini-group of these three teams with all the Zenit results excluded.

Presuming AZ lose to Zenit and Dundalk and Maccabi draw (which would need to happen for all to be on five points):

• If Dundalk and Maccabi draw 0-0, AZ would go through as they'd have scored more goals in the mini-group (all teams would finish equal in goal difference) - AZ would be on 3, Dundalk and Maccabi would be on 2.
    • If Dundalk and Maccabi draw 2-2 or more, Dundalk would go through as they'd have scored more goals than AZ and, although equal with Maccabi, they'd have scored more away goals (three, to Maccabi's two).
    • If Dundalk and Maccabi draw 1-1, all three sides would be equal in points, goal difference, goals scored and away goals in the mini-group. So, it then goes to the goal difference in the overall group. Which Dundalk would win on, as they'd have -2, Maccabi would have -3 and AZ would have at most -6.
    I think I have my maths right there. Have a look at Group F in the 2013-14 Champions League to see an illustrated example of tiebreakers in a three-way tie. The top three were all equal on points in the mini-group, so Napoli lost out because of a goal difference of one less. The full tiebreaker list for this year's Europa League is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Does it go by goal difference or head to head though? I think it's head to head in the CL.

• Advertisement

Does it go by goal difference or head to head though? I think it's head to head in the CL.

Do Dundalk not have the better goal difference now?

Surely that means an AZ loss.and draw in israel puts them through as essentially they'd still have the best GD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

TheCitizen wrote: »

1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    2. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
    3. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    4. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    5. if, after having applied criteria 1 to 4 (to a set of three or more teams), a subset of those teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the tied teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 12 apply;
    6. superior goal difference in all group matches;

Fierce complicated but it depends on what score it ends up in Tel Aviv. 1-1 put Dundalk through (i think). 1-1 and all three teams finish on scored 3 conceded 3. Tel Aviv and Dundalk would have two away goals though so AZ go out. Then you're on to rule 5 above and that puts Dundalk through because their goal difference against Tel Aviv would be scored 2 conceded 1. 2-2 and above definitely puts them through.

I hope think (hope) thats right.

Win the next one, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The saves from Rogers might be important yet.

noodler wrote: »
    I forgot about that.

Just assumed a draw would put them out due to head to head with AZ.

Never thought about AZ -Macabi head to head

Just win in Israel, that's all they can do. And there's no reason why they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

If Dundalk..
    • Lose they are out
    • Draw and AZ avoid defeat they are out
    • Win and AZ win they are out
    • Draw and AZ lose there would be a three way tie. A mini-group of the three teams would be made:

Team|W|D|L|F|A|GD|PTS
    Az|1|2|1|3|3|0|5
    Dundalk|1|2|1|2|2|0|5
    Tel-Aviv|1|2|1|2|2|0|5

This would be the scenario if Dundalk drew 0-0 and AZ lost. Az go through due to having scored the most goals.
    If it finishes 1-1, everybody will be 3 F&A. The next criteria is away goals in the games between the teams. This would be 2 each for Dundalk and Tel-Aviv, and 1 for AZ. This would eliminate AZ from the equation, and Dundalk and Tel-Aviv would be ranked against each other. Dundalk would then progress.

If it is a 2-2 or higher score draw, Dundalk will go through on away goals.

Tiebreakers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

MD1990 wrote: »
    Poor performance tonight. Only Finn was any player near his best. I think a competitive as possible friendly at Oriel Park should be arranged before the Maccabi game.

It should've been arranged as soon as the draw came out pretty much for this tie too.

It's not a surprise for Dundalk to have had this long after the season and any sort of friendly would do against an agreeable European side. Rustiness was clearly going to be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Summer football might give LOI teams an advantage in the first rd of euro matches, and maybe even in the 2nd round but at this stage it's a disadvantage. Dundalk were rusty for first 20 mins, then they sort of got into the match, but drifted out again for large parts.

The AZ player who scored was 5 yards offside when the ball was played in, but the offside rule now is not offside if not interfering, but 2 seconds later the ball falls to him off Massey and it's not offside

Odd that AZ have only scored 3 goals ( the least of the 4 teams) conceded 8 ( the most of the 4 teams) and yet are 2nd In the group :confused:

Thanks Dundalk the spin was terrific, and who knows it mightn't be over yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

dfx- wrote: »
    It should've been arranged as soon as the draw came out pretty much for this tie too.

It's not a surprise for Dundalk to have had this long after the season and any sort of friendly would do against an agreeable European side. Rustiness was clearly going to be a problem.

Very difficult to organise any kind of friendly at this time of the year. All the British sides are midseason and a lot of the decent continental sides are either in season too and/or involved in European competition or simply wouldn't be interested in a friendly against Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It doesn't even have to be a strong side or in European competition. There has to be plenty of European qualifiers-level teams, Summer leagues or Scandinavian type teams who would be willing to host Dundalk or maybe travel with loads of notice that Dundalk have had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,217 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't see game tonight due to work, did Dundalk look off the pace tonight?

Perhaps tiredness is catching up with them?

Worst performance of the Euro campaign so far? Shame as this game looked very winnable a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

joeysoap wrote:
    Summer football might give LOI teams an advantage in the first rd of euro matches, and maybe even in the 2nd round but at this stage it's a disadvantage. Dundalk were rusty for first 20 mins, then they sort of got into the match, but drifted out again for large parts.

Maybe they should extend the league this side instead of starting earlier which they plan to do next season as to alleviate the congestion that Dundalk faced this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Very difficult to organise any kind of friendly at this time of the year. All the British sides are midseason and a lot of the decent continental sides are either in season too and/or involved in European competition or simply wouldn't be interested in a friendly against Dundalk.

Az played a friendly during the international break. Something you see more and more when the leagues are stopped for almost 2 weeks.
    Of course Dundalk has to watch expenses a bit and the lower English leagues keep playing through the international break but i am pretty sure they could have had a match in Holland against one of the Eredivisie teams organised. Quite a few played friendlies.
    Timing wasnt perfect, i know, with the FAI cup final and the continental leagues continuing last weekend so still wouldnt have been able to play on the ideal date, say last thursday, friday in preparation for last night.

They will not be able to find an opponent before the match in Israel that easy i am afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

inforfun wrote: »
    Az played a friendly during the international break. Something you see more and more when the leagues are stopped for almost 2 weeks.
    Of course Dundalk has to watch expenses a bit and the lower English leagues keep playing through the international break but i am pretty sure they could have had a match in Holland against one of the Eredivisie teams organised. Quite a few played friendlies.
    Timing wasnt perfect, i know, with the FAI cup final and the continental leagues continuing last weekend so still wouldnt have been able to play on the ideal date, say last thursday, friday in preparation for last night.

They will not be able to find an opponent before the match in Israel that easy i am afraid.

Dundalk played Brentford in a friendly last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

They did but most of the players playing last night didnt play. They have been carrying a lot if niggly injuries playing through the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Lot of nightly injuries, some due to the fixture congestion. (23rd August - 6 November , 75 days 23 matches going by last night program) that's a lot for a small semi pro team.

I would look closer to home for a friendly, Northern Ireland maybe ie Warrenpoint or some club not in contention ? (Dundalk loaned young O'Connor to Warrenpoint few years ago so should be on friendly terms)

Ps the staff on duty last night in tallaght were top class, a young lady on one of the stiles on the east stand greeted everybody with a big hello, the security staff were great too. Don't know why there was so many cops at the match though, even 5 horse mounted cops! Plenty of AZ fans in among the Dundalk fans and they did plenty of shouting and cheering but no trouble, and the minute the match was over they dropped the shouting and mingled easy with the home fans. Were mingling with the Dundalk fans in the hotel across the road before the match too.

The sound system in tallaght is poor though, Echo and delay from the speakers (east stand anyway) and not very clear (though that could be me). Saw a few pats fans at the match too, nice to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not great last night. Started both halves pretty poorly, especially the first which was bizarre as I thought we'd be raring to go. As has been mentioned already Finn was the only player to really play really well. All that said we were all over them the last ten minutes and it still seems a bit surreal to see a big club like AZ hanging on for dear life at the end against Dundalk FC. All is not lost and although the odds are against us there is still hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

joeysoap wrote: »
    Lot of nightly injuries, some due to the fixture congestion. (23rd August - 6 November , 75 days 23 matches going by last night program) that's a lot for a small semi pro team.

I would look closer to home for a friendly, Northern Ireland maybe ie Warrenpoint or some club not in contention ? (Dundalk loaned young O'Connor to Warrenpoint few years ago so should be on friendly terms)

Ps the staff on duty last night in tallaght were top class, a young lady on one of the stiles on the east stand greeted everybody with a big hello, the security staff were great too. Don't know why there was so many cops at the match though, even 5 horse mounted cops! Plenty of AZ fans in among the Dundalk fans and they did plenty of shouting and cheering but no trouble, and the minute the match was over they dropped the shouting and mingled easy with the home fans. Were mingling with the Dundalk fans in the hotel across the road before the match too.

The sound system in tallaght is poor though, Echo and delay from the speakers (east stand anyway) and not very clear (though that could be me). Saw a few pats fans at the match too, nice to see.

Pity the same cant be said of the West Stand. Stewards not knowing were seats are!
    Woman and 2 kids came in and said to Steward which seat is ours, was in Block B row c, Steward had no idea were the seat was. Fellow fan pointed her seat out to her, was somebody sitting there already.
    Steward began to tell her she would have to find other seats.

Woman rightly got Gardai to remove person from her seat (and then spent next 90 minutes) giving out about the smell of weed :P Why anyone would take 2 kids into the singing section il never know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Pity the same cant be said of the West Stand. Stewards not knowing were seats are!
    Woman and 2 kids came in and said to Steward which seat is ours, was in Block B row c, Steward had no idea were the seat was. Fellow fan pointed her seat out to her, was somebody sitting there already.
    Steward began to tell her she would have to find other seats.

Woman rightly got Gardai to remove person from her seat (and then spent next 90 minutes) giving out about the smell of weed :P Why anyone would take 2 kids into the singing section il never know

They also made a bad habit of standing right in front of people in certain seats throughout the match

Can't speak for west stand but for east stand stewards were very strict on the block you were in - but after that it was free seating and informed everyone to just sit where up you want . Worked fine as everyone just sat anywhere they liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Brentford B

Brentford B v Dundalk B, must have been good watching.

joeysoap wrote: »

http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/2016/11/29/dundalk-will-play-closed-door-friendly-with-warrenpoint-in-preparation-for-maccabi-tel-aviv/

Closed door @ £5/€5 admission :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Dundalk won 4-0 last night, should have been about 7 or 8 by all accounts

Not sure how that will prep Dundalk for the Maccabi game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

May have lost them Chris Shields

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Deep into winter over 5 months after their European adventure began Dundalks moment of truth has arrived, huge ask to win away in Israel against Maccabbi Tel Aviv and Zenit St Petersburg to prevent AZ Alkmaar from winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Does anyone know if Eir Sport are showing the Dundalk game as free view? Had a look on the Sky menu and it generally has a prefix with 'Free view:' but wasn't on it for Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Hard to believe that this thread is still going in December, it's brilliant to see and hopefully the results will go Dundalks way on Thursday and this thread can carry into next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

markc91 wrote: »
    Hard to believe that this thread is still going in December, it's brilliant to see and hopefully the results will go Dundalks way on Thursday and this thread can carry into next year
    Well was always going to be here when they beat Bate:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement