Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Cmon Dundalk hold on, phone dead so cant watch stream :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

?

Prize money for the third qualifying round...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Irish sides like the national side are great at getting draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Jaysus, just about.

Congrats and best of luck in the next round.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted to see Dundalk go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Brilliant!

Well done Dundalk. Great 2nd half

Money for winning this round, money for playing in the next, plus tv money etc. Comes to nearly 1 mill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Money for winning this round, money for playing in the next, plus tv money etc. Comes to nearly 1 mill.

Plus money for the Europa League round in the event of being beaten by BATE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk were by far the better team.Benson made a big difference in the 2nd half. McMillian has answered a lot of critics in the last few weeks. 1st thing Dundalk have to do is get a better playing surface with the prize money. Its the main reason they are much better away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Presuming they get knocked out against BATE:

300k - 2nd round.
    400k - 3rd round.
    250k - solidarity money for not being in the CL group stages.
    230k - Europa League play off.

€1.18M guaranteed. To put that into perspective, Rovers got €1.9M for qualifying for the group stages in 2011. Between this season and last, Dundalk will have gotten nearly that without getting that far. CL prize money is absolutely frightening compared to what clubs earn from the league.

If they get in the EL group stages, it's €2.4M instead of the €230k. So, it'd be about €3.5M altogether. If they get into the EL group stages via the CL play off, they'll get €3.25M plus the the €2.4M. If they get to the CL group stages, they'll have so much money that they'll dominate the League of Ireland forever more.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    If they get to the CL group stages, they'll have so much money that they'll dominate the League of Ireland forever more.

Biggest IF ever but imagine if it did ever happen :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

if they get to the CL group stages, they'll have so much money that they'll dominate the League of Ireland forever more.

We kinda thought same with Rovers in 2011 and look how that turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Much of Dundalk's prize money will go into improving Oriel Park I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I think Dundalk will improve, showed their quality at times particularly going forward but are so nervy at the back. Only really Gannon who looked to have any composure at the back. Hopefully now that they are through one round they can look a little less nervy at the back. Massey was quite poor some poor decision. Horgan O Donnell and McMillan were outstanding

CL group stage money is a hell of a lot more than the EL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

MD1990 wrote: »

Don't they need to own it first? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Delighted for Benson and McMillan! Best of luck in the next round. Any chance of being seeded for next year with a couple of good results?

Here's hoping Pats and Cork follow suit tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Brilliant from Dundalk and an honest thanks to so many fans from clubs around the country with good wishes

Much appreciated and reciprocated

• Advertisement

In all seriousness though, the opening 25 minutes to the second half was one of the most impressive displays from an Irish side in Europe since the turn of the century. They took the game by the absolute balls and forced FH back and FH just didn't have a clue what to do. They deserved more than just the two goals.

Honestly this Dundalk side are top class. They are by far and away the most mentally gifted team that I have ever seen in the LOI. They are like a continental football side. Yeah they're naive at times but they are great to watch.

Cork have also got a big win from this though! Dundalk are gonna be distracted until the end of August at least now, if they're ever gonna capitalise it's now.

Congrats to all the Dundalk fans in here, fantastic performance from your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Congratulations to Dundalk. Made it a bit more nervy than it should have been but they got the job done.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Biggest IF ever but imagine if it did ever happen :eek:

Whoever did it would turn into the Irish BATE, who are on course to win their 11th straight Belarussian league title.

Rovers got €1.9M in 2011. As I said, Dundalk have nearly gotten that for their last two campaigns, which have so far seen progression through just one round. Qualifying to the CL gives €12M plus TV money. No Irish club would be able to come near them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Whoever did it would turn into the Irish BATE, who are on course to win their 11th straight Belarussian league title.

Rovers got €1.9M in 2011. As I said, Dundalk have nearly gotten that for their last two campaigns, which have so far seen progression through just one round. Qualifying to the CL gives €12M plus TV money. No Irish club would be able to come near them.

Until John Delaney invents the new €5m winning the league tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Congrats Dundalk. Hopefully they can master BATE over the next two weeks.

Where is the home game against BATE likely to be played? Oriel cant hold that stage of the qualifiers

Until John Delaney invents the new €5m winning the league tax.

Not to mention the not wearing puffy pants tax.

824406.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

wadacrack wrote: »
    Where is the home game against BATE likely to be played? Oriel cant hold that stage of the qualifiers

This confirmed or just speculation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great result for Dundalk and a great result for Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

NufcNavan wrote: »
    This confirmed or just speculation?

Confirmed. Heard Alan Cawley speaking about it on the radio last week. I know Dundalk hosted BATE at Oriel last year but that was in the second round, this year it's a round further so an upgrade is needed.

I know Drogheda had to play Dynamo Kiev in Dalymount and St Pats had to play Hertha Berlin at the RDS a few years ago. Where would suit them? Where's available? Tallaght? Bit sh*t for the locals of Dundalk to trek there. Aviva would be too big? RDS? Anywhere closer to Louth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Omackeral wrote: »
    Confirmed. Heard Alan Cawley speaking about it on the radio last week. I know Dundalk hosted BATE at Oriel last year but that was in the second round, this year it's a round further so an upgrade is needed.

I know Drogheda had to play Dynamo Kiev in Dalymount and St Pats had to play Hertha Berlin at the RDS a few years ago. Where would suit them? Where's available? Tallaght? Bit sh*t for the locals of Dundalk to trek there. Aviva would be too big? RDS? Anywhere closer to Louth?

RDS probably not an option with the horse show on. Tallaght probably. Aviva would be great though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I think Dan McDonnell said it's in Tallaght. A shame really. Nice ground and all but terrible for atmosphere and far too open.

Not much of a 'trek' though, little over an hour down the M1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I think Dan McDonnell said it's in Tallaght. A shame really. Nice ground and all but terrible for atmosphere and far too open.

Not much of a 'trek' though, little over an hour down the M1.

Saw someone else say Tallaght on twitter too. Be handy for the couple of Dundalk fans that got on my bus in Tallaght Village tonight after the game

I don't think I've ever seen a LOI team technically as good as Dundalk. They blew FH away in that 2nd half spell.

That attacking mentality can leave them exposed at the back during games but that's what should be encouraged IMO.

I hope they can pull out a few more big performances in Europe over the coming weeks.

2nd leg confirmed for Tallaght by Dundalk fb

"Just to confirm. 1st Leg is BATE v Dundalk next Tuesday 26th July in Belarus. We then will play BATE in Tallaght Stadium on Tuesday 2nd August at 8pm as Oriel Park does not meet UEFA standards for a 3rd Round match. C'mon The Town!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well done to Dundalk. Great for the league and Irish football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

there are significant costs with playing/hosting etc the later games though, especially if they're not playing at home. Tallaght as it is can't be used for any group games. Rovers also put in a friendly in Malmo between the 2011 season end and the final two group games.

The two Rubin Kazan games in particular were hugely costly to run/get to for Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

MD1990 wrote: »
    They've made a lot of money in the past few years and not shown any desire to improve the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

AgileMyth wrote: »
    They've made a lot of money in the past few years and not shown any desire to improve the place.

There's a complex situation with the owner for Oriel that essentially prevents them from doing it at the moment. I wouldn't be too harsh on them on that point. Although, it is a kip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Great result last night Dundalk !! Great for the league. They play BATE Borisov next round and if they win that its Champions league group stages - what happens if they lose ? Another playoff for UEFA Cup group stages ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Great result last night Dundalk !! Great for the league. They play BATE Borisov next round and if they win that its Champions league group stages - what happens if they lose ? Another playoff for UEFA Cup group stages ?

If they beat BATE they will have to play a play-off round and there would be big guns to deal with there. If the lost the playoff, it's straight into the group stages of the EL. If they lost to BATE, it's into the playoff for the EL group stages. After the BATE game, they will be playing for a spot in the group stages of one of the competitions.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Congrats Dundalk.

Makes Citys game tonight even more important to try and stay in touch with them as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Got it, there is a playoff round after the third qualifying round.

A win against Bate and it could be Villarreal, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Porto,Manchester City,Roma

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Got it, there is a playoff round after the third qualifying round.

A win against Bate and it could be Villarreal, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Porto,Manchester City,Roma

Nope. The draw separates the champions of their respective leagues and the teams who have qualified via 3/4th place in one of the big leagues. They can only play other champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Huge match in Inchicore tonight. Dinamo are still favourites to go through although a 0-0 is enough for us. We have to be really defensively solid tonight as we've been poor in this respect this season. Big performances required from everyone especially Hoare and D Dennehy. Hopefully rather than confident but still with Fagan on the pitch we always have a chance of scoring. COYS!

Good luck to Cork tonight also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

As Pablo said, there is an issue with the lease of the ground. It is held by a previous owner who won't sign it over unless he gets money. This needs to get resolved as this is a golden period for Dundalk. Make hay while the sun shines etc. Success goes in cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kksaints wrote: »
    Huge match in Inchicore tonight. Dinamo are still favourites to go through although a 0-0 is enough for us. We have to be really defensively solid tonight as we've been poor in this respect this season. Big performances required from everyone especially Hoare and D Dennehy. Hopefully rather than confident but still with Fagan on the pitch we always have a chance of scoring. COYS!

Good luck to Cork tonight also.

Don't trust us at all to be defensively solid, we haven't been all season. Dynamo will take us more seriously than maybe they did last week so the scoreline tonight could be what i expected last week to be.

But as you say, we have Christy Fagan so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Heading along to this. Bohs man myself but tonight it's LOI vs the World, the way it often feels for us tbh! C'mon the Saints.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Heading along to this. Bohs man myself but tonight it's LOI vs the World, the way it often feels for us tbh! C'mon the Saints.

Same as, Bohs fan but will be heading along hoping Pats do well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Shame it's not on the box tonight can't get down to watch it but ah well here's hoping for a result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement