Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Fair tackle

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

What are they losing the plot for? It was a foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Refs a jackass

Their midfield are a joke. Not interested in working at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Arghh...scuffed it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Eir stream going again for anyone?

1-0 I'll take that though honestly think a draw was deserved. Fair play to the lads. Played brilliantly tonight and took it to Genk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Not a bad result. Kept the ball well and played some good football, They've a chance at home but i'd expect Genk to play a lot better they were very poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great result. We played very well, composed and did not just sit back.

Cannot wait to see the X rocking next week , they can be got at, as proved tonight and in their away game last week. Bring em on.

I'm hoping Genks poor away performance in Macedonia is repeated next week at the Cross. They look beatable to be fair.

• Advertisement

Definitely can through. Genk have a few lads with questionable application imo. Mightn't be the greatest away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

city will score for sure in the x imo but just have a feeling genk will to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Didn't see the game. But Cork are making great improvements this year. Maquire,Dooley & Bolger in particular are excellent players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Fill the ground. As fans we need to get on the refs back from the off. Boo the opposition with their every touch. Get behind our own lads and make a huge atmosphere.

Genk are no great shakes. If we had a finisher we win that game tonight.

Looking forward to a famous night at Turners Cross.

Apparently Caulfield mentioned Hacken want to sign Bolger in the post match conference. I hope he doesnt go anywhere till the end of the season at the very least. Though I think he could do a lot better than Hacken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very good all round performance and maybe deserved a 1-1.

Still well in it, but hard see them not scoring.

Never know though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Great performance. Unlucky not to get a draw. And that referee was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Cork have a great chance to go through. Genk are terrible, no pressing of the ball, giving the ball away, and dead on their feet after 60 minutes.

I fully expect Cork to turn them over in Tuners Cross. I hope they don't reret Maguire being very wasteful tonight. They deserved an away goal.

Maguire was excellent tonight. He missed a chance but to say he was wasteful is very unfair.

A super first touch and brain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork have a great chance to go through. Genk are terrible, no pressing of the ball, giving the ball away, and dead on their feet after 60 minutes.

I fully expect Cork to turn them over in Tuners Cross. I hope they don't reret Maguire being very wasteful tonight. They deserved an away goal.

He battled away non stop, caused problems for their defence throughout the game, got quite a few frees and should have gotten a few more and created a couple of chances. I think he had a fine game, would have been nice if he did score, but he didnt exactly miss 4 open goals.
    I will be backing him to score next week.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I will be backing him to score next week.

He should score next week. He will be rubbing his hands at the thought of playing against that defence.

In addition, he will realise that rather than trying to win frees, he can turn those defenders and create goal scoring opportunities.

Those Genk defenders can't handle Maguire and Dooley.

My only concern for Cork is the lack of an away goal. I can see Genk scoring in Cork. The Bailey lad is decent and they can break at speed when Cork loose possession. The main failing shown by Cork (and Dundalk) in Europe is losing the ball too cheaply and being exposed to a swift counter attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

He should score next week. He will be rubbing his hands at the thought of playing against that defence.

In addition, he will realise that rather than trying to win frees, he can turn those defenders and create goal scoring opportunities.

Those Genk defenders can't handle Maguire and Dooley.

My only concern for Cork is the lack of an away goal. I can see Genk scoring in Cork. The Bailey lad is decent and they can break at speed when Cork loose possession. The main failing shown by Cork (and Dundalk) in Europe is losing the ball too cheaply and being exposed to a swift counter attack.

Thats exactly it and wayward passes when not being pressed either. If Dundalk can click in to the sort of spell of 25 minutes they had at FH then there will be chances. BATE went all out to finish the tie on Tuesday and didnt, they threw the kitchen sink at us for 90 minutes and with some gritty defensive work, some luck, and dreadful finishing by BATE we have just a glimmer of hope but not expecting much.

Cork on the other hand in a hostile Turners Cross should be confident after showing that Genk are beatable. How Cork will play it will be interesting, like whether to go all out at genk to level the tie or to keep it tight, show confidence in the fitness levels and go on the hunt in the last 15. Either way Cork should feel this is winnable.

West Ham struggled again this year except they had a manager (not on the bench though) and put out a much stronger side than early rounds last year. Added to Celtics struggles European football even from 'small' countries is no easy task. Im sure Genk and Bate along with Celtic and West Ham have copped this as LoI sides have been no pushovers (Rovers the exception).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Will tickets be available on the gate tomorrow for the Dundalk match? They are only on sale at Oriel today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Will tickets be available on the gate tomorrow for the Dundalk match? They are only on sale at Oriel today

Almost certainly. They havent opened up the East Stand tickets for sale yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Cheers - will pop along

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Talks of Cork City selling out the Genk game before the end of the night - brilliant to see. A full house will be a major advantage Thursday night.

Only about 500 tickets left for Thursday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'll be there, hopefully a famous night for Irish soccer.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

marno21 wrote: »
    Talks of Cork City selling out the Genk game before the end of the night - brilliant to see. A full house will be a major advantage Thursday night.

yep great to see should be some atmosphere there, any ideas how many tickets the belgians took?

The atmosphere down he X on Thursday will be fantastic. I hope we can keep it tight to maintain that throughout the game. An early away goal would be disastrous.

• Advertisement

gustafo wrote: »
    yep great to see should be some atmosphere there, any ideas how many tickets the belgians took?

They will let CCFC know tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Any of the games on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭yknaa

Any of the games on TV?

Eir TV showing both

yknaa wrote: »
    Eir TV showing both

Nice one,best of luck to both teams,be savage if they get through

gimmick wrote: »
    Hopefully it would be at Thomond park should it arise.

Pretty embarrassing for Cork that we do not have any stadium in the county up to scratch.

Turners Cross is passed as ok to host the next round also should we progress.

Definitely not ok for the groups though.

It would be a nice problem to have though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Turners Cross is passed as ok to host the next round also should we progress.

Where did you hear this?

From talking to someone involved in the licencing process, he said that to even hold the Genk game at Turners Cross the FAI had to plead our case to UEFA, we barely scrapped over the line and that should we go through, theres not a hope the playoff round would be in TC. Something to do with access roads, parking, away bathrooms and VIP areas.

Thursday night is now completely sold out btw. I believe it was 6300 tickets for City and 500 for Genk. Should make for an incredible occasion.

CHealy wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

From talking to someone involved in the licencing process, he said that to even hold the Genk game at Turners Cross the FAI had to plead our case to UEFA, we barely scrapped over the line and that should we go through, theres not a hope the playoff round would be in TC. Something to do with access roads, parking, away bathrooms and VIP areas.

Correct, if we did get through, we will not be playing down the X , we do not have the facilities needed, blessed to hold the Genk game.

Correct, if we did get through, we will not be playing down the X , we do not have the facilities needed, blessed to hold the Genk game.

From what I am told, as of now, TX has not been rejected for the next round, so the club are planning accordingly.

• Advertisement

From what I am told, as of now, TX has not been rejected for the next round, so the club are planning accordingly.

There must be some wiggle room as our medical and press facilities alone do not meet the requirements , capacity is also short I think. Access is also an issue I remember seeing the requirements somewhere and there was no way we could bring so many facilities up to the required level.
    I would love to have that problem though

Buddy only got allowed off work for Thursday night, this morning, just as all the tickets were sold out!

There will be some atmosphere , cannot wait.

Im not doubting your info, but I know for a fact that the FAI had to beg UEFA to allow us hold the Genk game at the X, why all of a sudden would it be ok to hold the playoff round there? TC is a fine LOI ground, but falls way short of UEFA standards.

where would the game be played then?

Musgrave Park??

Musgrave Park??

Musgrave Park is worse suited than Turners Cross believe it or not. Game would have to go to Thomond Park.

The nearest and most obvious is Thomond

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Although it would be savage.

Didnt Dundalk play Bate at Oriel last season?

Oriel not good enough for this round?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Didnt Dundalk play Bate at Oriel last season?

Oriel not good enough for this round?

Was the round previous they played them last year. Higher standards required as you progress through the rounds.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

after a link to watch as out of the country, if somebidy could PM it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Mon Dundalk! They've a chance here if they can keep things tight at the back.

Advertisement