Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headset microphone No sound

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I presume you have a combo jack on the laptop? Do standard headphones work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Standard headphones work perfect. I tried to find out stuff from google but couldn't. Laptop is a HP Pavillion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Do the headphones work in other devices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Just checked the work PC and the headphones are working fine there. Not sure about the microphone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

tankbarry wrote: »
    Just checked the work PC and the headphones are working fine there. Not sure about the microphone

It's possible your laptop doesn't support duplex audio. Have you separate headphone/Mic sockets or just the one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

mordeith wrote: »
    It's possible your laptop doesn't support duplex audio. Have you separate headphone/Mic sockets or just the one?

Sounds like it is not autoswitching to the microphone when you plug it in. Usually when you plug in the mic, the computer detects that there is a resistance across the 3.5mm jack (i.e. the resistance of either the mic or the speaker) and automatically switches the outputs and inputs accordingly.

In Windows 7/8 there is a Sound widget in Control Panel which allows you to automatically check this. I would assume that there is something similar in Windows 10. I would go in there and see what the operating system is accepting as it's input and output.

Advertisement