Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavement Signage

• 19-06-2016 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Saw this while on a recent visit to the Galway area 27159603153_cca2636f08_z.jpgDSC_5099 by washburn2157, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

You can paint the whole city with 'signs'... Those who don't pick up after their dog, won't. It's enforcement that's needed... And convictions. Not signs.

Sick to my shít (pardon the pun) of stepping in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

It is not just dog crap, it is chewing gum and cigarette's and other litter.

There is also a dearth of bins in Limerick City, when you do find one it is usually full to the brim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was in Dublin today, walking towards Kilmainham Jail, a couple were ahead of me walking their dog, he stops and does his business, the lady collects it & ties the bag then leaves it on the next wall they pass. Cool as you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

There is also a dearth of bins in Limerick City, when you do find one it is usually full to the brim.

This is a big part of it

When I walk my dog on the ennis road and if she does a poop I have to carry it for ages often getting looks from people

I've been to some small towns and they even provide the bags for scooping Needless to say that there's very little poo around

dunworth1 wrote: »
    This is a big part of it

When I walk my dog on the ennis road and if she does a poop I have to carry it for ages often getting looks from people

I've been to some small towns and they even provide the bags for scooping Needless to say that there's very little poo around

That's the excuse but not the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

phog wrote: »
    That's the excuse but not the reason.

What's the reason so?

If both bins and bags are within short reach more people would be scooping the poop.
    You'll still get the odd lazy few.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    What's the reason so?

If both bins and bags are within short reach more people would be scooping the poop.
    You'll still get the odd lazy few.

No, that's the excuse. If people genuinely want to keep the place clean they'll carry the bag to a bin or home. The bag is tiny and light, carrying it should not be a problem.

Dog owners have a responsibility too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

No, that's the excuse. If people genuinely want to keep the place clean they'll carry the bag to a bin or home.

But that's the issue, people that litter clearly don't give a toss either way. You can provide all the bins and bags you want, some people are just ignorant pr*cks.

Enforcement is the only way along with providing the necessary bags and bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

No, that's the excuse. If people genuinely want to keep the place clean they'll carry the bag to a bin or home. The bag is tiny and light, carrying it should not be a problem.

That's crap. Maybe it's not an issue for you but it is a real problem for a lot of people. When I walk my dogs I have my toddler with me. Pushing a buggy and carrying several bags of poo isn't really possible. Putting it in the undercarriage where I keep spare-clothing and even snacks is disgusting. It's manageable in good weather when those things can be stored on the hood and the poo underneath and then scrubbed out afterwards with bleach and boiling water as that's also where I need to carry my groceries when shopping. And that's still disgusting but it's the best I can do. When it's raining and the hood needs to be used for raincover, I can't do that and then it's an absolutely massive problem. At the same time people not picking out their dog crap is a much bigger problem for me than it is for others as I can't see the path right ahead of me and often roll the wheels in it.

In London where I was first a dog owner first, there were bins everywhere. My nearest park was just 7 acres and had 12 dog poo bins, 22 regular bins (all of which were emptied daily) and 2 poobag dispensers. There was never poo anywhere. Lack of disposal is the biggest problem by far. We actually had a situation last year on Childers road where the council paid for a sensor to tell every passing person, whether they had a dog or not, to put it in any bin anywhere. Yet there were no bins anywhere along the whole route. It's a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Jesus I passed an amount of shît this morning while out walking my 2 before work.., not a bin in sight as others have said above. And a lot of tied bags left on the side of the road, thrown into grass areas, etc.

All laws related to dogs go largely ignored here. Was in Brussels recently... Dogs everywhere. On trains, in shops, spotless streets. Not a sign in sight.

Different attitude.

• Advertisement

Hooked wrote: »
    Was in Brussels recently... Dogs everywhere. On trains, in shops, spotless streets. Not a sign in sight.

Berlin is similar. Paris on the other hand........... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

iguana wrote: »
    That's crap. Maybe it's not an issue for you but it is a real problem for a lot of people. When I walk my dogs I have my toddler with me. Pushing a buggy and carrying several bags of poo isn't really possible. Putting it in the undercarriage where I keep spare-clothing and even snacks is disgusting. It's manageable in good weather when those things can be stored on the hood and the poo underneath and then scrubbed out afterwards with bleach and boiling water as that's also where I need to carry my groceries when shopping. And that's still disgusting but it's the best I can do. When it's raining and the hood needs to be used for raincover, I can't do that and then it's an absolutely massive problem. At the same time people not picking out their dog crap is a much bigger problem for me than it is for others as I can't see the path right ahead of me and often roll the wheels in it.

In London where I was first a dog owner first, there were bins everywhere. My nearest park was just 7 acres and had 12 dog poo bins, 22 regular bins (all of which were emptied daily) and 2 poobag dispensers. There was never poo anywhere. Lack of disposal is the biggest problem by far. We actually had a situation last year on Childers road where the council paid for a sensor to tell every passing person, whether they had a dog or not, to put it in any bin anywhere. Yet there were no bins anywhere along the whole route. It's a joke.

Who should pay for these poop bins?

iguana wrote: »

Just to be clear, I think the Local Authorities could do more wrt bins but the responsibility lies with the owner to dispose of it correctly.

Some items here that might suit dog owners.
    Hooked wrote: »
    Jesus I passed an amount of shît this morning while out walking my 2 before work.., not a bin in sight as others have said above. And a lot of tied bags left on the side of the road, thrown into grass areas, etc.

All laws related to dogs go largely ignored here. Was in Brussels recently... Dogs everywhere. On trains, in shops, spotless streets. Not a sign in sight.

Different attitude.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

zulutango wrote: »

Money from the Dog License? It increased to €20 a couple of years ago. Think it was £10 then €12.70 or whatever the euro conversion was and stayed at that for years.

Money probably already goes to the up keep of the pound?

Edit: For a while, if you renewed the license in City Hall, they'd give you a box of poop bags with the license. Biodegradable ones too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Emailed CC before as there is feck all bins in Raheen/Dooradoyle too.

zulutango wrote: »

I have no problem with paying local authority tax if the tax actually gets spent on local facilities. While I can't say I loved paying my council tax, I didn't mind it because the local facilities were top notch, especially in Haringey, and it felt like value for money. Pristine parks, ten libraries including a toy library and a mobile library in one local authority, all sorts of clubs, playgrounds a few minutes walk in every direction, free weekly rubbish collections, semi-annual free large rubbish collections, any illegal dumping in a park/by the river cleaned up within 24 hours, commercial streets cleaned each day, residential streets each week. The only problem was that even a really dodgy area could look idyllic because the council kept it so nicely.

That said, the money spent on a stupid sensor telling everyone to put their dog poo in 'any bin, any where' would have been much better spent on a bin. Childers Road has busy pedestrian foot traffic along that stretch as it's right by a primary school, has a couple of bus stops and is the route from a number of housing estates to Childers and Parkway retail parks and the Parkway SC. Not having at least one public litter bin on that stretch of footpath is unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

Having read all the posts over the past few days I have to agree with the majority.Extra bins might not solve the problem but in some locations the would help.As a pilot program some years ago bins were put on the NCR and the walk way to Barringtons Pier,when I asked about putting bins further along the walk way I was told no,on Health & Safety they had no way of collecting any rubbish from those bins.In the Salthill area of Galway they have very large boxes which contain 4 bins,general waste,recycle,glass and dog bags.With the signage at ground level I think it might be a different approach.The corpo have every corner of the city littered with poles/signs.

Having read all the posts over the past few days I have to agree with the majority.Extra bins might not solve the problem but in some locations the would help.As a pilot program some years ago bins were put on the NCR and the walk way to Barringtons Pier,when I asked about putting bins further along the walk way I was told no,on Health & Safety they had no way of collecting any rubbish from those bins.In the Salthill area of Galway they have very large boxes which contain 4 bins,general waste,recycle,glass and dog bags.With the signage at ground level I think it might be a different approach.

The bins that went in on Condell Road and towards Barrington's Pier were put in by mistake and the senior people in the council went ape**** when they found out. They didn't want them anywhere, not for health and safety reasons, but because they just didn't want to spend the money. But once they were in and some local councillors congratulated them on the initiative they couldn't then remove them!
    The corpo have every corner of the city littered with poles/signs.

Limerick City is destroyed by signage and bollards!! Literally, bollards everywhere. It's insane.

Was down at the boardwalk earlier at lunch for the street food fair and there is no bins or none in my immediate vicinity.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was down at the boardwalk earlier at lunch for the street food fair and there is no bins or none in my immediate vicinity.

The maintenance is also shockingly poor. And there's about 700 bollards.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »

There used to be one on the right as you came out of Milano's, one opposite Milano's and one opp what was the Sin Bin. There are also a few between the Sin Bin and Shannon Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Saw this and thought of this thread : http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/210065/limerick-councillor-calls-for-more-bins.html
    LABOUR councillor Joe Leddin has called on the local authority to erect temporary bins along the river quays.

With the advent of temporary food stalls on a Wednesday, and other activities set to take place on the riverside this summer, Cllr Leddin believes it has brought about a need for locals and tourists to have a place to discard their rubbish.

He said: “Having been on the boardwalks, the food stalls are absolutely fantastic, and add a really continental flavour to the city. But it raises the question of a lack of bins.”

He pointed out that in Kilkee, Clare County Council had erected around 20 bins for the summer season. “It is something we might want to consider,” Cllr Leddin added.

Fianna Fail councillor Vivienne Crowley called for extra bins to be erected at the Westfields Wetlands claiming the area has become a “hotspot” for dumping.

And Cllr Paul Keller, Anti-Austerity Alliance added the Clare Street approach by the Abbey Bridge is in need of bins.

“There are four bins missing, and the general area has become very shabby. In Athlunkard Street, weeds are growing out of the bins,” he explained.

Tara Flanagan, senior executive engineer, operations and maintenance services said: “Temporary bins would be very difficult to manage in terms of movabvility and probability of being used for illegal dumping”. Pointing out there are ten bins between Shannon Bridge and Sarsfield Bridge, seven at O’Callaghan Strand and five in Clancy’s Strand, she said these numbers should be “adequate”.

Funny that - I did tweet the council that there should be more bins on the boardwalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

To me its strange that Mr Leddin has never noticed the lack of bins on his run along the Condell Rd to Clonmacken area also Ms Crowley is looking for bins in her area but nothing about the public walk way to Clomacken.Tara Flanagan, senior executive engineer says their are plenty of bins in the area.When I asked about a bin at the riverside/Barringtons Pier I was told that the staff could not stop on the main road for safety reasons to empty it.These same staff have no problem on a Sunday going around certain streets with the road sweeper but cannot empty bins.Has anyone ever seen the amount of cans/bottles etc on the waters edge near the boat club and Barringtons Pier.The board walk in only a bandwagon for Mr Leddin,he has given up on complaining about the recyle metal at the docks.Bins are needed but we the public should do more.

Advertisement