Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minding a stray dog

• 19-06-2016 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I have done the right thing. There was a little dog wandering aimlessly on the side of the road just outside a village before Wexford Town. He was wandering in to traffic and was wet and dirty. checked in village shop and no one recognised him so rather than letting him out to wander again I took him home and left my number with the shop should the owners come looking for him. I realise he is some distance from his home now but as it is Sunday i can't get in touch with anyone to help me reunite him with his owners.

He doesn't seem injured. He is a bit snappy so I am wary to try to examine him too closely. I dried him off but he is still a bit dirty.

Have posted in the Wexford forum, and sent a message to the WSPCA but my immediate issue is that I have never had a dog and don't know how to look after him. I also have a cat who is really stressed by his presence in the house. I have him in the bathroom, with a blanket and a cushion but he gets upset if I leave him, so I'm currently sitting in here with him. While the cat is freaking out upstairs!

I bought him some dry dog food and gave him water which he has eaten and drank. I presume I need to take him out to go to the loo... It's not ideal to have him overnight, not sure what else to do, is there anything else I need to do for him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

call the local Garda station and see if they have a microchip scanner - they're supposed to enforce microchipping laws now so should have scanner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jayney op, what a lovely thing to do, fair play to you :)
    I'd say it's unlikely you'll get any realistic help until tomorrow.
    You are legally obliged to let the Gardaí or the Wexford dog pound know that you have this dog.
    There's a (probably vague esp if not purebred) chance he's microchipped, but like tk123 I'd be surprised if the guards have a scanner. Your local vets can do the job, or you could try calling around some local rescues to see (a) can they scan him, (b) can they take him in, and/or (c) can they advertise him as found on their Facebook pages.
    Also contact Lors Lost Dogs Fb page, a super resource for reuniting lost pets with their owners.
    In the meantime, keep the cat safely upstairs, and you may find it handier to keep pooch on a lead so you can bring him around the house with you, and let him settle when you do.
    Yes, toilet breaks are important... Bear in mind that as he has eaten food that he's not used to, his tummy might go a bit squiffy on you, so keep an ear/nose out for a rumbly tummy and flatulence, and be prepared for him possibly wanting to get out in the early hours :o
    I can foresee a sleepless night for you op... His getting upset when you leave him leads me to think you'll be sleeping on the couch tonight :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Thanks for posting DBB. I have just found the owners through a friend who lives in that village and they are on the way to pick him up. :)

They told me his name and the minute I said it he reacted, but I will check they have a photo of him to be sure.

Instinctively I did the things you suggested, messaged local rescue, had him on a lead, cat locked away and we even went for a walk where he did his business. I rang the guards and they don't have a microchip reader, yet, he said. I was just preparing for a sleepless night, but thankfully all's well that ends well. The owners told me he is a house dog so wouldn't be used to being out on the road, so at least I know I did the right thing by taking him home.

But thanks for answering, I wasn't too sure if I was doing the right thing. Cat will be delighted too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well done you. Did everything right from the get go. delighted the dog will be reunited and you will be able to comfort the cat soon..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ah I'm delighted that you've found his people, great news! I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see them.
    Meanwhile, you've your good deed for the week done now! He was a very lucky little man that you found him and cared enough not only to keep him safe, but to find his home too! Good for you :)
    I wonder how come he was out wandering about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting DBB. I have just found the owners through a friend who lives in that village and they are on the way to pick him up. :)

They told me his name and the minute I said it he reacted, but I will check they have a photo of him to be sure.

Instinctively I did the things you suggested, messaged local rescue, had him on a lead, cat locked away and we even went for a walk where he did his business. I rang the guards and they don't have a microchip reader, yet, he said. I was just preparing for a sleepless night, but thankfully all's well that ends well. The owners told me he is a house dog so wouldn't be used to being out on the road, so at least I know I did the right thing by taking him home.

But thanks for answering, I wasn't too sure if I was doing the right thing. Cat will be delighted too!

Well done OP, you did a really nice thing today :)

I'm always worried what would happen if mine got out of the garden as they are only ever out on the lead and would have no sense of the road on their own.

Facebook is also a great source to reunite Owners and Pets and has a great reach I find.

DBB wrote: »
    Ah I'm delighted that you've found his people, great news! I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see them.
    Meanwhile, you've your good deed for the week done now! He was a very lucky little man that you found him and cared enough not only to keep him safe, but to find his home too! Good for you :)
    I wonder how come he was out wandering about?

He was delighted to see them! They just said they were away for the day and have been looking for him since 5pm when they got home and he wasn't there. They were very relieved, the whole family came to pick him up.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Well done OP, you did a really nice thing today :)

I'm always worried what would happen if mine got out of the garden as they are only ever out on the lead and would have no sense of the road on their own.

Facebook is also a great source to reunite Owners and Pets and has a great reach I find.

Actually my friend who lives near there posted on Facebook and that's how we found the owners. I knew she would have more local contacts than me and get the word out. But yes, one of the positive aspects of Facebook :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I'm delighted you took him in and found his owners - well done to you, but a bit perplexed as to why he was wandering without a phone number on his collar. Perhaps it was a freak occurrence, hopefully his owners will now make sure he is kept inside or at least on their property, and has a microchip and a collar with a contact number. Those are the current regulations after all, like them or not.

Lucky boy that you chanced upon him and looked after him so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

another well done to you OP for bothering to make the effort. NICE people do things like this :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement