Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build

Options
  • 19-06-2016 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm want to build a gaming PC, I'm not interested in VR.
    I have also listed some future buys that might affect the build. Thanks.

1. Budget? €1200-1500, I can go a bit more if its worth it.

2. Main purpose of the computer? Gaming - Arma 3, DCS and new games. Movies + Youtube.
    I might also do CAD and programming.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes, Pro version of Win7 or Win10

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have one unused hard drive "WD Black 500GB (WD5003AZEX)", I can get a larger one at a later date outside of this budget.
    Arctic MX-2 Thermal Compound unused.
    XBox 360 controller for Windows.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes, around 27", resolution 1440, Freesync, a good refresh range, response time (below 6-7ms).

6. Do you need any peripherals? Yes, Keyboard and Mouse.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes.

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Debit Card/Paypal

9. When are you purchasing? 2 years ago when Haswell Refresh was announced (Within the next few weeks, I've waited long enough :P)

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help needed.

11. Graphics card? AMD - Around Christmas I was thinking of a 390 or 390x.
    I decided to wait 6 months for AMD's new cards (490 or 490x), unfortunately they are still another few months away.
    I think it might be too long to wait for them using the integrated GPU, should I get a 480?

12. Extra notes: Probably internals from mindfactory, Monitor and Case from Amazon or OverClockers.
    CPU: Intel i7 6700K
    M/board: z170 (Which one?)
    RAM: DDR-4 around 3000mhz?
    Computer needs good cooling.
    Case: Probably prefer a Mid Tower
    Storage: Samsung SSD (250GB minimum)
    PSU: Tier 1 or 2 from TomsHardware PSU Tier List (I can't post links yet)

13. Outside of this budget:
    I will be getting a good headset/headphones (So computer noise is not too much of a problem, but I don't want a jet engine).
    TrackIR
    2nd SSD or Larger capacity HDD
    Optical Drive
    Maybe Joystick + Pedals
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Dunno what TrackIR is.

If you get a 60hz monitor, then you won't need freesync, I'm pretty sure the 120/144hz 1440p ones are like €600 or something.

The build you have is fairly sound, I'd personally just grab a 390 now or a 480 and wait for the 490 if you want as you have the budget for it, forget the 6700k and just go for the 6700 with any Z170 board

Don't cheap out on the case.

What direction in general are you looking for, just a refinement? You want a 600w PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RX480 is actually releasing in 9-10 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

For 1440p I'd really look in the direction of the 980ti or 1070. Save money by cutting back to a B150 mainboard and don't overclock the CPU it's hardly worth doing and certainly not at the expense of the GPU.

TrackIR is a head tracking thingy. If possible an 21:9 aspect ratio monitor would be ideal with that, but you'll really be looking at 2560x 1080 - with that you could probably go with a Rx480 rather than a 980ti or 1070.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irish Bullet

Thanks for your opinions.
    What direction in general are you looking for, just a refinement? You want a 600w PSU
    I'm looking for personal opinions.
    What brand of m/board?
    What cpu cooler?
    If you get a 60hz monitor, then you won't need freesync, I'm pretty sure the 120/144hz 1440p ones are like €600 or something.
    I don't want to regret it later, I would rather pay more now if its worth it.
    What monitor to get or avoid? (IPS - Better colours and slower response vs TN)
    Dunno what TrackIR is.
    TrackIR is a head tracking controller. (Basically, using your head as extra input)
    Its not the same as banging your head on the keyboard :P
    The build you have is fairly sound, I'd personally just grab a 390 now or a 480 and wait for the 490 if you want as you have the budget for it
    Thats what I was wondering, should I go for a 390/480 now or is there another AMD card worth considering.
    forget the 6700k and just go for the 6700 with any Z170 board
    I don't think the non K can overclock as good as the K, I'd rather switch to the I5 6600K than the 6700, it would be a better option for me.
    Flight sims and Arma work better with a higher clocked cpu, they don't use a gpu as much.
    Don't cheap out on the case.
    Ok, not something I considered, thanks.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    RX480 is actually releasing in 9-10 days.
    In europe?

For 1440p I'd really look in the direction of the 980ti or 1070. Save money by cutting back to a B150 mainboard and don't overclock the CPU it's hardly worth doing and certainly not at the expense of the GPU.
    Any rough idea how the 490 would compare to the 1070?
    I'd rather cut back to an I5 6600K. I'll be mostly playing Arma.
    TrackIR is a head tracking thingy. If possible an 21:9 aspect ratio monitor would be ideal with that, but you'll really be looking at 2560x 1080 - with that you could probably go with a Rx480 rather than a 980ti or 1070.
    I'd probably only go 16:9 or 16:10, but I'll have have a look at 21:9 monitors, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€198.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€106.51 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€73.58 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€142.93 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card (€287.93 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case (€41.58 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€96.37 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (€101.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Monitor: Acer XG270HU 27.0" 144Hz Monitor (€451.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1500.57
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-19 21:48 CEST+0200

No point in Win10 Pro if this is a gaming machine. Can save €100 by installing Win10 & not activating.
    Can step-up to i5-6600k for an extra €70 (CPU + CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo).

Also IMHO, wait for benchmarks of RX 480.

*edit*
    AMD have not announced any higher-end new cards. You could maybe go for R9 Fury / R9 Nano, but what's killing your budget here is the 27" Freesync monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There's unlikely to be a 490 or 490x this generation, it's be an Rx Fury with HBM memory with the 1080ti coming out in competition with it. Regardless of marketing names the higher end of AMD 490 or no will be based on Vega and out nearer Xmas.

On overclocking I doubt you'll see more than a 10% OC on air within acceptable frame rates. Given the games you want to play is it worth it - genuine question that you should be able to find the answers to if you don't already have that information. Do the sims you want not benefit from hyperthreading?

Incidentally for simming if that's the main use I'd dump the TrackIR and monitor (just get a cheap one for day to day use) and go full Rift. I can;t get over the A-10C!

Advertisement