Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline adapter - limited or no connectivity

Options
  • 19-06-2016 5:30pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭

Having some strange issues with my powerline adapter (Its a Belkin one, but I dont have the model number to hand). Really impressed with it in general, but there's a niggling problem that im struggling to understand. When my smart TV is powered off (assuming its using something on the network) I lose my connection with the powerline adapter.

The TV and powerline source plug are on different sockets (ie. not an extension lead), and both share the same router (TV is wired to the router, not wireless). When I get my limited or no connectivity, unplugging the powerline lan cable from the router and plugging it back in again fixes it.

I would assume switching my TV to use wireless would fix this, but thats doesnt answer the 'why' question.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Looks like the router is doing something funky. If you could borrow a small switch and connect the tv/homeplug/router to it and see if you still get the same problem. Did you check if there is a firmware update for the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Could be a bug with the TV. Saw a similar issues recently, where when the TV was asleep the NIC would advertise the gateway MAC address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Homeplugs side by side with a TV in a double socket is the same as using an extension lead

Advertisement