Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I upgrade to a Tri bike

Options
  • 19-06-2016 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

As it stands I've completed a few tris on my everyday road bike a Felt F95.
    I've been considering getting a tri-bike.
    I've read of three advantages.
    • Aerodynamics
    • Tri-bike designed to get more make better use of quads, i.e. get more power.
    • The bike geometry allows for a faster run after transitioning.
    To what extent have people found these claims hold true, after they've switched from road to tri bike?
    What sort of improvements have people seen over 20 / 40k, after switching to a tri bike?

Any make/model recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/index.html
    here is some stuff for you to study ( on the home page some other articles )

'The bike geometry allows for a faster run after transitioning'.

debatable and not as clear cut and many other factors involved

re more power
    fact is more people than not lose power on a tt bike
    and road bikes climb faster ( usualy)

both points you worte down can only be only gernealized in marketing
    lingo and bike salesman pitch .

no doubt re being able to get in a more aero positon and the differnce can be significant. and outdo a small loss in power

top of tha range road bike with tri bars and good fit vs top of the range tt bike and good fit anywhaer between nothing and 2 min over 40 k diffence ( depending on your fiiting needs )
    bad fittiing cheap road bike no earo wheels not tt helmet vs top of the range tt bike good fit , race wheels etc up to 6 min.
    also depends on the course usually tt bike is faster ( 93 out of 100 times ) but for instance at duathlon in phoenix park there would be very little in it between road and tt bike ( i would say at the current course road bike a tiny bit fater on the old course that whent the other way round tt bike a bit faster

at the endo of the day get a fit and let fitter recommend you some bikes a fitted 2nd hand bike will almost certainly be better than most bikes you will be sold in a shop that seel bikes brands and not bikes that fit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

With the range of aero bikes available too it makes that a nice option.

My big concern over buying a TT bike lately is the introduction of draft legal racing however I don't think it looks like that is taking off.

With the range of aero bikes available too it makes that a nice option.

My big concern over buying a road bike lately is the introduction of draft legal racing however I don't think it looks like that is taking off.

well Zico 10 kind of has one of the first aero road bikes every made the kestrel talon and is doing well with that as it fits quite well.
    and fit is pretty much everything .

peter kern wrote: »
    well Zico 10 kind of has one of the first aero road bikes every made the kestrel talon and is doing well with that as it fits quite well.

Sorry meant to say concern over buying a TT obviously. Yeah I think it's a good idea however many will disagree with me I'm sure.

I'd love a venge or similar and would probably get far more use out of it than a Slice or Soeed a concept that I am also lusting after.

To the Op I'd say a TT would see you in getting improved times, yes. Wether to buy one we can't decide for you but I suspect you want us to say yes go ahead and buy one.

Always remember the correct number of bikes to own is n+1.

If you do get a TT bike spend the extra getting it properly fit, in fact you may talk to a proper bike fitter before ordering to get the right size. Make sure to get plenty of time training on it in a proper aero position as it will be very different to the road bike and a poor form on a TT bike can hinder you compared to a good position road bike.

As Peter said it may lower your power slightly in some studies but there will be less drag which will usually mean you go faster ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

You could try and motivate yourself into getting a Tri bike.

For example: Hit an average of 35kph for a spint tri on your current ride as a justification.

I'm waiting until i hit an average of 37.5kph to justify a set of carbon rims.

A nice article on aerodynamics and min speed: https://anathletesbody.com/2013/09/24/the-tipping-point-how-does-aerodynamics-impact-cycling/

• Advertisement

topcat77 wrote: »

For example: Hit an average of 35kph for a spint tri on your current ride as a justification.

A nice article on aerodynamics and min speed: https://anathletesbody.com/2013/09/24/the-tipping-point-how-does-aerodynamics-impact-cycling/

Thats a good idea I have heart Joey100 use. I think it was in his log he said he could upgrade if he hit a certain FTP? Nice reward system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Yep I've said that alright. Said that if I can get my FTP to 300w (around 5w/kg, miles off, am at around 260w at the moment) then I'll upgrade my bike. That's more a reason to stop me upgrading the bike anytime soon though! The bike I'm on at the moment isn't the limiter for me, sometimes I forget that and think a new bike would make me even faster.

In saying all that if you have the money and can afford a new bike, why not? There's a difference in speed between a tri and road bike, between 2 different TT bikes probably not so much. If a new Tri bike makes you get out more on it and train more what's the harm, if you can afford it without going into debt for it, fire away. The bike is probably the one place in the race you can buy speed.

that is a poor article on the whole
    using one person for everything dosnt work
    topcat77 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

peter kern wrote: »

I prefer to think it's more to do with the small bit of training I've been doing, for at least a couple of weeks now.

zico10 wrote: »
    I prefer to think it's more to do with the small bit of training I've been doing, for at least a couple of weeks now.

lol ( maybe)
    and maybe on a faster bike you would have killed yourself in the roundabout ;-)
    but truth is you have certainly 60 sec of improvoement over 40 k in your bike if you bought speed ( or not see pink )

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »

i think chrissie wellington would agree alan ;-0

http://www.220triathlon.com/gear/gear-guides/chrissie-wellington-on-budget-triathlon-gear/8017.html

Advertisement