Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Scooter suggestion?

• 20-06-2016 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hi all...

Thinking of getting a scooter. Have a Tiger 800 and a Ninja 250.

The 250 will prob go to replace the scooter. I use it like a scooter anyway, just for simple inter city riding....

Thinking a Vespa? But which model? Lots of similar but different models.

Things I'm interested in:

- simple, nice to look at but no bells and whistles
    - minimal maintenance required, preferably no special software needed to service
    - easy to work on and source parts...maybe 2 stroke so no valves to adjust?
    - agile
    - no abs, just complicates things
    - storage space without need for extra panniers / etc
    - performance not a huge concern, 125cc would probably suit. top speed doesnt matter but good starting acceleration a bonus

Any suggestions/experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

As an owner of both bikes and a traditional 2-stroke Vespa, I can assure you 2-stroke Vespa's are not low maintenance. Clutch cables, gear cables are munched on a regular basis. Gearbox cruciform, non-existent brakes. Slow too, but in a fun way -it's all about momentum :) Sharing the road with modern traffic is a crapshoot.

A friend of mine has just bought a modern Vespa GT250 and it is very impressive as a form of transport - light years ahead of my PX.

I love mine, but as a commuter these days I'd be looking at an Xmax 250 or similar.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

galwaytt wrote: »
    As an owner of both bikes and a traditional 2-stroke Vespa, I can assure you 2-stroke Vespa's are not low maintenance. Clutch cables, gear cables are munched on a regular basis. Gearbox cruciform, non-existent brakes. Slow too, but in a fun way -it's all about momentum :) Sharing the road with modern traffic is a crapshoot.

A friend of mine has just bought a modern Vespa GT250 and it is very impressive as a form of transport - light years ahead of my PX.

I love mine, but as a commuter these days I'd be looking at an Xmax 250 or similar.

Thanks for the advice. Is that a 50CC PX?

What about the Primavera? 125CC, automatic, 4-stroke...reviews seem good but...but, who knows.

I know on my Ninja, brake pads last a long time. Why not on a Vespa, any idea?

I do like the usefulness of those Yamahas...But a 250 scooter, for me, might be a bit big...trying to downsize and get something as simple as possible...within reason. Would do low mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

One of the sorriest (is that even a word?) things I've done in thirty years biking is getting rid of my PX200D.

I loved it, I adored it and I miss it all the fooking time. But she went to my brother who gave her a new, beautiful lease of life ~ as a Joey Dunlop tribute.

In ten years the only problem I had with it was clutch cables breaking, you'll get used to it (if you buy one). When it happens you'll have to let the scooter cut out when you stop, switch off the ignition, put it into first gear, switch on the ignition and when the lights go green press the start button with the bike in gear and it'll pull off more or less smoothly ~ then use clutchless gear changes until you get home..

That or keep a spare cable and tools in the box.

They're full of character.. I love 'em.

Oh, the rear suspension is sh*t but you can buy a replacement unit cheap enough. They're heavy enough on the rear tyres too, but you have a spare and replacements are cheap.

Dammit I'd love another one.

One of the sorriest (is that even a word?) things I've done in thirty years biking is getting rid of my PX200D.

I loved it, I adored it and I miss it all the fooking time. But she went to my brother who gave her a new, beautiful lease of life ~ as a Joey Dunlop tribute.

In ten years the only problem I had with it was clutch cables breaking, you'll get used to it (if you buy one). When it happens you'll have to let the scooter cut out when you stop, switch off the ignition, put it into first gear, switch on the ignition and when the lights go green press the start button with the bike in gear and it'll pull off more or less smoothly ~ then use clutchless gear changes until you get home..

That or keep a spare cable and tools in the box.

They're full of character.. I love 'em.

Oh, the rear suspension is sh*t but you can buy a replacement unit cheap enough. They're heavy enough on the rear tyres too, but you have a spare and replacements are cheap.

Dammit I'd love another one.

Think I recall you saying this before...about the regret? I've had a clutch cable break on my Ninja 250. Drove it 25km home, "speed shifting" and cutting out as necessary. As long as anything is easy enough to repair, I don't mind...

Thanks for the reply...

The day I sold my Vespa;

389431.jpg

And here she is now, parked beside the BMW which I sold two months ago.

389432.jpg

• Advertisement

....lovely, yes the PX200 is a keeper. I had a new PX200 a couple of years ago and didn't keep it. Major, major mistake........ :(

My current is a 1987 PX125.

@Rat_Race: I think a 50cc is a tad too small - but try one. Any modern 125/150/200 would be good though. Modern Vespa's aren't cheap, either.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

The best and only scooter if you can get one, is the honda 50, 70, 9o range. They go forever, Vespas are bricks on wheels **** bricks in my opinion

The best and only scooter if you can get one, is the honda 50, 70, 9o range. They go forever, Vespas are bricks on wheels **** bricks in my opinion

While there's no doubting the C50/90 are great machines they're a completely different animal to the Vespa and attract completely different owners.

Brick on wheels' ~ what does that even mean?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've only owned one scooter, a 4-stroke Gilera Runner 125.

I bought it because it was fastest.

It did not like winter starts. At all.

Eventually it got stolen, and recovered, and stolen, and recovered, and stolen again. Thankfully it didn't come back.

Now somebody else has the joy of it not starting.

My slightly racist advice would therefore be: if you're going to buy something Italian, make sure you have alternative transport.

Brick on wheels' ~ what does that even mean?.

The one I rode you felt every little bump on the road, suspension was like riding a brick

• Advertisement

The one I rode you felt every little bump on the road, suspension was like riding a brick

You'll love this so :)

https://youtu.be/ub3-nJakADg

Ode To The Motorist

And you think the C50/70 & 90 are different lol.

As we've said the suspension needs to be upgraded, and its fairly cheap & easy to do.

Yep, the suspension and weight ratios are completely different, why would you need to drag around a spare wheel?, sorry mak, not convinced

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

I prefer their earlier stuff...

Know anywhere one could buy new in the UK, and get delivery?

rat_race wrote: »
    Know anywhere one could buy new in the UK, and get delivery?

Can you not get one here ??

Ode To The Motorist

Can you not get one here ??

You can. 5k though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Depends on how cheap in the UK. Factor in VRT and the cost of getting it here.

did you try here: http://www.powersgarage.net/ ?

Ode To The Motorist

did you try here: http://www.powersgarage.net/ ?

Seems like a great service...

But, I'm more thinking of going new...

• Advertisement

rat_race wrote: »
    Seems like a great service...

But, I'm more thinking of going new...

Haven't dealt in a while, but he had access to new at one stage. Might be worth a call.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement