Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have any luck getting data off a sshd hybrid disk?

Options
  • 20-06-2016 5:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's out of an 11 month old Toshiba laptop, 1tb/8gb and I think the flash portion of the drive has tanked.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No partitions or mbr backup found using the usual testdisk, spinrite, Easeus, Acronis etc. And some tools show every single sector as bad, and scans are taking a few hours, so it's doing *something* with the platters, it's just not finding anything at all.[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The drive is detected correctly in the bios and various OS's, but showing up as unpartitioned space.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think that everything is passing through the flash portion of the drive but as it's fecked, it's not actually getting to the physical data on the platters.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I tried contracting Toshiba to see if they have a tool to bypass the flash, but got the usual "they really should back up their data" line, and we'll d'uh, thanks, but nobody ever thinks of that until stuff like this happens.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've already swapped out the disk for them and given them the laptop back so they have a working machine and I have more time to try and recover the data, but has anyone dealt with anything similar and had any luck with specific tools?[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks in advance. [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]:)[/font][/font][/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If spinrite and similar can't read the raw bits then it could be the controller...a PCB transplant might yeild something but I would not be hopeful.

Advertisement