Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 520 ... really nice piece of kit!

Options
  • 20-06-2016 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭

I've been "humming and hawing" over the last while as to whether to upgrade my Garmin 500 to a 520. I really like the simplicity and reliability of the 500 but find having to connect it physically to my laptop after every spin a bit irritating. I'm also a self confessed "Strava Junkie" and the "live segment" feature of the 520 really appealed.
    Anyway, with an upcoming weeks holiday and not really fancying the idea of hauling the laptop with me I finally took the plunge last week, set it up over the weekend and used it on my commute this morning. Can't believe how seamless the interface with Stava is ... literally hit the "Stop" button and it automatically paired with my iPhone and uploaded the ride ... really cool!
    Now just have to work out how the "Live Segment" feature works ....!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

C3PO wrote: »
    I've been "humming and hawing" over the last while as to whether to upgrade my Garmin 500 to a 520. I really like the simplicity and reliability of the 500 but find having to connect it physically to my laptop after every spin a bit irritating. I'm also a self confessed "Strava Junkie" and the "live segment" feature of the 520 really appealed.
    Anyway, with an upcoming weeks holiday and not really fancying the idea of hauling the laptop with me I finally took the plunge last week, set it up over the weekend and used it on my commute this morning. Can't believe how seamless the interface with Stava is ... literally hit the "Stop" button and it automatically paired with my iPhone and uploaded the ride ... really cool!
    Now just have to work out how the "Live Segment" feature works ....!
    The live segments is a neat idea but don't you need strava premium (subscription) to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Luxman wrote: »
    The live segments is a neat idea but don't you need strava premium (subscription) to use it?

Not sure ... but I'm a Premium member anyway ... as I say ... a bit of a Strava Junkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I break rule 42 (I sometimes cycle without socks), and recently upgraded to a 920xt (from a 310xt) which has the similar uploads/ live links. Have only used it on club spins so far so haven't used the live segments, but really love the ease of upload. Didn't have the bluetooth on over the weekend as I'm having phone battery issues, and it had uploaded via wifi whilst I was making a post spin brew.

As a btw, I did use Ant2net on android using an OTG cable and my Garmin dongle with my 310xt and Garmin Swim, which was handier than the lap top (particularly when away) but no where near as handy as the bluetooth/ wifi upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

markusz wrote: »
    226 euro on the final screen with Amazons currency rate.

Amazons rate tends not to be good. Normally better to buy in sterling and use banks rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

markusz wrote: »
    226 euro on the final screen with Amazons currency rate.

Amazons rate tends not to be good. Normally better to buy in sterling and use banks rate
    Also if you ship to ParcelMotel you get the UK VAT ;)

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭G1032

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I break rule 42 (I sometimes cycle without socks), and recently upgraded to a 920xt (from a 310xt) which has the similar uploads/ live links. Have only used it on club spins so far so haven't used the live segments, but really love the ease of upload. Didn't have the bluetooth on over the weekend as I'm having phone battery issues, and it had uploaded via wifi whilst I was making a post spin brew.

As a btw, I did use Ant2net on android using an OTG cable and my Garmin dongle with my 310xt and Garmin Swim, which was handier than the lap top (particularly when away) but no where near as handy as the bluetooth/ wifi upload.
    Can't find Ant2net on the play store. Has it been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

G1032 wrote: »
    Can't find Ant2net on the play store. Has it been removed?
    Not showing in the play store for me either. Upgraded the watch just in time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement