Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchens and recycling

Options
  • 20-06-2016 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭

For those who are buying new houses and go looking at show houses do you ever check where the bin will go in the kitchen or look to see if the bin area built in and does it have various compartment for recycling.

As more and more recycling is becoming a kitchen would need at least 3 areas for waste/recycling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I always check to see where would the bin go, but I prefer a standalone bin.

"Built in" bin places can get smelly and dirty and be more awkward to clean, and more difficult to replace if something cracks/breaks. As you point out, they're also less easy to adapt if things change. Years ago a single bin did everything. Then we started separating recycling and not-recycling. Then another place for bottles. Now some places want a separate piece for food waste.

When looking at a new house, I also think about where the vacuum cleaner, ironing board and things like suitcases go. Is there space for a separate washer and dryer and a dishwasher as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Thoie wrote: »
    When looking at a new house, I also think about where the vacuum cleaner, ironing board and things like suitcases go. Is there space for a separate washer and dryer and a dishwasher as well?

This is my approach too. I have a mental list of "awkward to store" stuff that I mentally assign locations to. Mine also includes sheets and towels, somewhere to hang coats and put bags, christmas decorations, tools and sports equipment.

In the kitchen I mentally count up where everything will go - plates, cutlery, cups and glasses, saucepans, small appliances and food. The bin alone isn't all that much of a concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I think a double/triple bin is the best way to go ... I have one like this, the "black bin" stuff goes in one side and the recycling in the other. Seems neater than having separate bins!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Personally- I'd probably check to see what the waste disposal options are- but I'd far rather separate bins- than a 3-in-1 solution. I've two young children- I fill a recycle bin before breakfast every morning- brown bin gets mulched by the sink- which I imagine most new houses would have- and regular bin- the sort of under counter solutions- just isn't going to cut it for me.

I have lived in a townhouse with a kitchen more than too small for my needs- for far too long- and I've also gone through many bins- before settling on a pair of 50ltr Brabantias- I would 100% definitely want separate free standing bins- and a mulcher- I don't care for the cabinet solutions- they look nice- but if you're generating any volume of rubbish at all- they are completely not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seperate bins can be taken out, cleaned, and bleached. When they break, they're easy to replace.

If you have an inbuilt one, ensure you have a spare, and all the fittings for when it breaks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement