Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Mountain Bike?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

nok2008 wrote: »
    Sorry for another what bike thread but do need some help here. Looking at buying first mountain bike and to be honest not too sure what to look for. Have been into a few bike shops but would like a non sales pitch view. Even though must say that LBS were not pushing the dearest models at me!!!
    Have Bike to work so will be looking for in or around the 1000 mark if required.
    Do some road biking but looking to mix it up with some mtb trails in forests etc. Therefore does not need to be top spec but something that will hold up to some punishment and not something that i will have to change parts in a few months.
    Probably going to stick to a 27.5 but my options at the moment are;
    Giant Talon 2 €979
    http://www.giant-cork.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/talon.27.5.2/25063/90747/#specifications
    Cube Acid €1049
    http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/mtb-hardtail/acid/cube-acid-blacknflashyellow-2016/
    Cube Attention €960
    http://www.theedge-sports.com/product/109056/Cube-Attention-SL-2016-Kiwi-Black/

any other suggestions / comments greatly appreciated!

thanks

I would pay the extra few €'s and buy the Acid - the specification is better. I would avoid the Suntour forks on the Giant either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I fancy a MTB myself came across this it seems to get good reviews http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bossnut-full-sus-mountain-bike-p347143

Any thoughts guys ?

I fancy a MTB myself came across this it seems to get good reviews http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bossnut-full-sus-mountain-bike-p347143

Any thoughts guys ?

I was sure that I'd be telling you not to bother but in fairness the specification is very good for the price!
    The only thing is that it's a pretty heavy bike at over 13kgs! That's fine if you really think that you will have need of the dual suspension and 130mm travel? But if you're just going to use it around the Coillte trails and other non technical terrain then a 100/120mm hardtail might be a better option!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Bossnut is getting rave reviews in the UK, 13kg for a full suss (28.5lb) is about right and doesn't feel heavy (my FS is 28lb and my hardtail is 34lb).

I know 1 lad that bought it and likes it loads - but it's his first "proper" mtb so hard to judge (and I've not had a go on it yet).

Magazines are impressed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Any thoughts guys ?

A lot of bike for the money. Sounds great value, lovely spec. on that.

• Advertisement

saccades wrote: »
    .... 13kg for a full suss (28.5lb) is about right and doesn't feel heavy (my FS is 28lb and my hardtail is 34lb).

I agree 13.5kgs is not particularly heavy for a full suspension bike but it's still a good deal heavier than an 11.5kgs hardtail if you don't need the the rear suspension!
    What type of a hardtail do you have that weighs nearly 15.5kgs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A lot of bike for the money. Sounds great value, lovely spec. on that.

Thanks lads ,Thats what I was hoping you guys would say. Im thinking that if my road bike fitness and bike handling transfer to mtb it would not be long before i would be looking for some challenging stuff . At the mo I have it down to a Boardman 29er http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-pro-29er on sale @800 or the boss thing it can be had for €1200 ish with the budget not been my main concern for once Im drawn to the full suss .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Good spec on that boss alright, im surprised! Board man bikes are good also for starting off, my personal preference would be to steer clear of 29er and stick to 26 or 27.5!

Canyon do some good spec bikes for decent money. Take a look at there site!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thanks lads ,Thats what I was hoping you guys would say. Im thinking that if my road bike fitness and bike handling transfer to mtb .

As far as bike handling goes I'd say handling skills don't transfer from road to mtb but mtb handling skills will definitely improve road handling skills if that makes sense.

Btw that boss looks to be a savage deal. Check out canyons outlet store you might see something in your size budget.

I only recently took up mtb and got a spectral it's some craic. Although I took a tumble recently and smashed my leg off a rock resulting in a large haematoma and no cycling the last couple of weeks. :( Can't wait to get back at it.

..... my personal preference would be to steer clear of 29er and stick to 26 or 27.5!

Any reason for that advice? Personally I would strongly recommend a 29er - particularly in preference to a 26er!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

if its just for fitness and some "offroad" fire roads, a hard tail is the way to go. 29er is great for that too.
    on the other hand if you think you will take to the sport, then full suss and 27.5 is the best option in the long run.
    try renting a hard tail and a full suss and take it to a trail center, before you part with a chunk of your hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As above, go to Ticknock or Ballinastoe if you're in Dublin and try out a hardtail and a full suss..
    I wouldn't go for a full suss for much under €2k, stick with a nice 275 or 29er hardtail, there's very little difference at that price range, so pick the easiest option for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

I've been using the Lapierre raid 527 hardtail in Ballyhoura all year. Nice bike and i'd Recommend it.

Can't post link because i'm under the 25 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

I've been using the Lapierre raid 527 hardtail in Ballyhoura all year. Nice bike and i'd Recommend it. 899euro.

Can't post link because i'm under the 25 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I bought a Boardman Full sus 1,250 ( has a fairly decent spec for the price)for heading up to Ballinastoe . its perfect , I love it. im not going to win any enduros any time soon and just want to head up the mountain and have some fun, so for someone like me and for the price I have nothing but praise for the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

C3PO wrote: »
    Any reason for that advice? Personally I would strongly recommend a 29er - particularly in preference to a 26er!

I find 29ers much more clunky that the 27.5/26. The smaller wheel size makes the bike feel a lot more nimble than the 29er

ec18 wrote: »
    I find 29ers much more clunky that the 27.5/26. The smaller wheel size makes the bike feel a lot more nimble than the 29er

Horses for Courses!

Once you go 29er you'll never go near a 26er again..

Though my personal preference is 275, there are plenty of great 29ers out there and they dominate XC racing, where almost everyone races a 29er hardtail... there's also some great trail hardtail 29ers out there too..

Just personal preference as said, not really advice as such I just think 26 and 27.5 will stand the test of time as opposed to 29. I suppose if your looking at XC then 29 is a good choice!

I went from to 27.5 from 26 and initially thought there was a huge difference, after a week or two of bedding in feels perfect . I would imagine the leap up to 29 is similiar. Maybe try see if you can rent one or couple of different types to see what feels good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    As above, go to Ticknock or Ballinastoe if you're in Dublin and try out a hardtail and a full suss..
    I wouldn't go for a full suss for much under €2k, stick with a nice 275 or 29er hardtail, there's very little difference at that price range, so pick the easiest option for you...

I would take Canyon as the exception, the Nerve Al 6.0 has 120mm of front and back travel and the same frame as the more expensive variants, it's only €1500. I bought one this year and suitably impressed, coming from a 29er Trek HT.

However, I'd agree on trying out a few bikes first, no point on a mid or long travel full sus if the plan is to rip a few XC trails.

• Advertisement

Just personal preference as said, not really advice as such I just think 26 and 27.5 will stand the test of time as opposed to 29. I suppose if your looking at XC then 29 is a good choice!

Funny but Greg Callaghan is using a 29er as his weapon of choice a lot of the time these days ... !! Anyway, as you say, a matter of personal preference but I can't myself ever buying anything other than a 29er again! I absolutely love mine (all 3 of them!)

Funny but Greg Callaghan is using a 29er as his weapon of choice a lot of the time these days ... !! Anyway, as you say, a matter of personal preference but I can't myself ever buying anything other than a 29er again! I absolutely love mine (all 3 of them!)

Ye I see Greg is using his 29 alright, I suppose I'm just used to 26 and 27.5 that's all! OP I think whatever you get will be fine as you will know no different.

As stated earlier ticknock and ballinastoe both have bike rentals which you should try out!

Where do you frequent usually C3PO?

What type of a hardtail do you have that weighs nearly 15.5kgs?

P5040384_zps38e24464.jpg

Prototype EBB with IGH, it's built for zero maintainence and it's taken 6-7 years of neglect.

I'm not getting into the wheel size debate, but it's not 27.5 - it's 650b.

I'd be more worried about getting a frame that uses forks with a tapered steerer as straight 1 1/8th good quality forks are very hard to get, 26"/650b are virtually interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

That's hard to look at, don't you wash it?

I've seen cleaner bikes taken from the Liffey! :eek: :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think it's misleading to say the bike weighs 15.5KG. it's probably 13KG and 2.5KG of mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

Prototype EBB with IGH, it's built for zero maintainence and it's taken 6-7 years of neglect.

Zero maintainence but obviously not self cleaning...!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd stick with a hardtail op, if you're gonna be doing some road miles as well. Have a cube stereo(full Suss), but at 3k, it's ott for your needs. Delighted with it though, serious machine, not particularly nice on the road though. As others have said, rent some bikes on some trails, only you 'll know what you like. Some great bikes out there in your range. Have a giant xtc hardtail. Has served me well but is well battered at this stage, great bike though. Throw your leg over a few bikes. Mountain biking is addictive. Best of luck with it

rizzodun wrote: »
    That's hard to look at, don't you wash it?
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I've seen cleaner bikes taken from the Liffey! :eek: :D
    i think it's misleading to say the bike weighs 15.5KG. it's probably 13KG and 2.5KG of mud.
    jmrc wrote: »

Zero maintainence but obviously not self cleaning...!:)

It's a point of pride that I've only washed it 5-6 times (when I've had to store it at a mates house/going through customs), the chain gets a lube a coupla times a year, fork has not been serviced, nor the wheels (The cup & cones are pitted on the alfine hub but it still turns - the CK front hub appears fine). The shifting has started to act up so I'm planning to give it an overhaul for this winter - maybe even a respray.

:)

• Advertisement

saccades wrote: »
    It's a point of pride that I've only washed it 5-6 times (when I've had to store it at a mates house/going through customs), the chain gets a lube a coupla times a year, fork has not been serviced, nor the wheels (The cup & cones are pitted on the alfine hub but it still turns - the CK front hub appears fine). The shifting has started to act up so I'm planning to give it an overhaul for this winter - maybe even a respray.

:)
    I feel like a clean freak now , I clean my one after every Ride. going today and I didnt get a chance since last week to clean it and it feels wrong.... so wrong

Advertisement