Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be on progesterone?

Options
  • 20-06-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently in very early pregnancy - 5w3d. OH and I took a while to conceive although we did so naturally. We were both tested quite a bit and my various blood tests showed my day 21 progesterone being low (18 on one test and 34 on another) which my doctor said would indicate I wasn't ovulating, or at least not every month.

My worry now is that the more I read about pregnancy, the more I realise how important progesterone is for maintaining a pregnancy so I'm worried I should be on progesterone supplements. I know boards can't give medical advice, so I'm not looking for that, I'm going to see my doctor this afternoon. But I'd be interested if anyone has had any experience of this - if low progesterone because of sporadic ovulation translated into low progesterone in pregnancy and possible miscarriage.

Thanks everyone - this is my first pregnancy and I think the fact it took us quite a long time to conceive is making me extra nervous of things going wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Hi Ally,

I conceived through IVF and like that my progesterone was low, so I have been on it for 15 weeks now. I knwo some GP's / midwifes can be reluctant to prescribe it, but talk to them and see what they recommend.

In some countries they put all pregnant woman are out on progesterone as standard.

PS. congratulations x

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Thanks stickybean. Huge congrats to you too. I was a major lurker on the TTC forum so I'm delighted for you!

I'll feel like a bit of a paranoid eejit going to the doctor today but I figure I'd rather be over-cautious and paranoid than do nothing and regret it down the line. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We can not allow medical information to be given out here.
    Please go talk to your GP about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement