Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby friendly sleeping arrangements in hotels!

Options
  • 20-06-2016 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

We're looking at getting away on a hotel break in Ireland for a few nights this summer. Haven't been anywhere in ages so do not want to spend our nights sitting in a dark hotel room once baby goes asleep at 7.30!

Does anyone have experience of hotels in Ireland with suites or interconnecting rooms that have worked well for families........cost isn't particularly an issue as I'm willing to pay a premium for a few nights R&R!

Google doesn't throw up a huge number of results for suites, plus personal recommendations are always good ☺

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I prefer to get an Apt attached to a hotel.
    I feel we can relax a lot more,have all the comforts of home,kitchen/sitting room/more then 1 bedroom!
    I remember in the tiny apt in Pontins, We would put the kids to bed unfold the couch and have a glass of wine or a beer and put a film on the TV.
    In France we put them to bed and sat on the decking for the evening.
    I am not the biggest fan of hotels with kids or for more then a night or 2, when we got married we had 3 in the wedding suite!!
    I am not a fan of adjacent rooms either because they are separate rooms with separate doors and that just not sit well with me.
    Suites are a great idea too,kids to bed then you can relax.
    What part of Ireland are you looking at?

I really like Johnstown House in Enfield.
    http://www.selecthotelsireland.com/family-breaks-ireland.html - Have good family options.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/irelands-top-30-family-hotels-34420459.html - might help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I feel we can relax a lot more,have all the comforts of home,kitchen/sitting room/more then 1 bedroom!
    I remember in the tiny apt in Pontins, We would put the kids to bed unfold the couch and have a glass of wine or a beer and put a film on the TV.
    I am not the biggest fan of hotels with kids or for more then a night or 2, when we got married we had 3 in the wedding suite!!
    I am not a fan of adjacent rooms either because they are separate rooms with separate doors and that just not sit well with me.

http://www.selecthotelsireland.com/family-breaks-ireland.html - Have good family options.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/irelands-top-30-family-hotels-34420459.html - might help too.

I'll look at those thanks!
    Cork or south West would be ideal but really I don't mind.
    A suite would suit perfectly but very few show up on Google. Or those that do are luxury suites in luxury hotels, I'm looking for something more functional (and not quite as astronomically priced)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Moonbeam wrote: »

I agree with this post. We go away very regularly since our toddler was a baby (maybe averaging once a month) and I'm all about the apartment. Even having fridge and kitchen to feed baby makes life so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I agree with this post. We go away very regularly since our toddler was a baby (maybe averaging once a month) and I'm all about the apartment. Even having fridge and kitchen to feed baby makes life so much easier.

Plus one for the apartments! I've stayed in one of the apartments in the quality in clon, and it was ideal for kids- was able to use the pool, go to the hotel for breakfast etc. I'm sure if you're looking for something a bit more top-end, that'll be available too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I know it is no ideal but Cork International Hotel in the grounds of Cork airport. Do suite style rooms with a kitchenettes. They are quite reasonable. The Quality Hotel in Clonakilty have houses and apartments in the grounds of the hotel.

Would you consider renting a holiday home rather than a hotel? It might actually work out a bit cheaper. Some hotels let you use there facilities for a small fee if you are a non guest. IT might be worth looking into that and renting a house nearby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The quality hotel in Killarney is great for kids and has apartments with separate rooms.
    http://www.hotelkillarney.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Kenmare Bay hotel has holiday homes in the hotel grounds,we stayed there in March with our 2 year old and 3 month old, like yourself we didn't want to be stuck in a hotel room with two children being quite,so was great to be able to put them up to bed. Amazing place, really spacious, well worth the money, close to the town. All hotel amenities included. Would highly recommended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Tulfarris have suites that have two good size rooms as part of the one room. Has a kitchenette in the room too which might be handy. They have a small playground but no leisure centre as far as I remember.

Castlemartyr have nice self catering on the grounds, the Mews ones are right beside the hotel so handy for using facilities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hodson Bay Hotel in Athlone has family rooms - two double bedrooms linked by a short open corridor (no door). We found it ideal with our little guy. Really nice hotel too!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

I stayed in Tulfarris last week for two nights with my 2 yr old and 4 yr old - and their Dad!! We had a suite on the ground floor. It was one room with comfy beds and a bathroom. Then a big sitting room with dining area & kitchenette with fridge, microwave, Nespresso machine etc. There was a TV in each room. And we had views of the golf course. The bar was a 2 minute walk from our glass door facing the golf course. It all worked out great for us with the kids. Playground on site just a 3 minute walk from the room though we couldn't use it because of the bad drainage (there had been heavy rain prior to our arrival). The hotel was lovely & quiet. Got the impression that most of the guests were up early to go golfing so we're in bed early too!! Also: Russborough House has an awesome playground and it's only a 10 minute drive away - you just have to pay €2 to park there. There are plenty of walks to do around the grounds. Pay extra for the maze and the fairy walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Look at Kelly's resort in rosslare. It was full of families the last time we were there. They have family rooms. They have a "baby room" on ground floor which is basically a kitchen with microwaves, kettles, steriliser, formula, baby food etc etc. Playground and playroom for "supervised play" €3 per hour but in the evening it's complimentary at dinner time.
    It's a lovely hotel :)

Millem wrote: »
    Look at Kelly's resort in rosslare. It was full of families the last time we were there. They have family rooms. They have a "baby room" on ground floor which is basically a kitchen with microwaves, kettles, steriliser, formula, baby food etc etc. Playground and playroom for "supervised play" €3 per hour but in the evening it's complimentary at dinner time.
    It's a lovely hotel :)

As lovely as I know it is we live in Wexford so are at least hoping to escape the county!! ☺

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    As lovely as I know it is we live in Wexford so are at least hoping to escape the county!! ☺

Oh gosh sorry didn't realise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Quality Hotel in Youghal in nice. Same basic idea as the other Quality Hotel's.

One think i did not like about them, is the inability to lock oneself in. Doors (and Windows) are design to keep people out, but anyone inside (i.e. the Toddlers) are open the door from the inside and just walk out, or climb out the windows.

We asked the hotel about this, and they claimed "Health and safety" was the reason for this, even upstairs windows cannot be locked from the inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Kelly's resort is booked up nearly a year in advance too. That place is popular!

Cork international hotel is a beautiful hotel, there are two hotels by the airport, that is the nicer one.

Parknasilla in kerry is fab. They have family houses on site, a kids club etc. Fairy trail in the woods. Looks for special offers though, because they are exhorbitant during the summer.

Dromquinna glamping might be something for you? Kids sleep in tent, you chill outside having a chat until ready to go to sleep.

pwurple wrote: »
    Kelly's resort is booked up nearly a year in advance too. That place is popular!

Cork international hotel is a beautiful hotel, there are two hotels by the airport, that is the nicer one.

Parknasilla in kerry is fab. They have family houses on site, a kids club etc. Fairy trail in the woods. Looks for special offers though, because they are exhorbitant during the summer.

Dromquinna glamping might be something for you? Kids sleep in tent, you chill outside having a chat until ready to go to sleep.

Purple we arrived on the day to kellys. It is fab but expensive! We paid €190 for 1 night b&b mid week. Kids are €25+ depending on age. We were actually in a family room but only the two of us. They are a great size. A lot of people when we were there booked through "trivago". I would defo go back, handy to walk to beach etc.
    I think we got lucky as we looked it up to book for a weekend with our son and it was booked out for so many weekends I just gave up!!!

Thanks guys for the input! Think we'll book the quality hotel in youghal. I had seen those apartments previously but discounted it in favour of a hotel. I'm sure an apartment will be a more suitable choice though..

Lots of nice options in Kerry but decided not to drive such a distance

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Anybody recommend any good hotels where suite prices are not huge money. Somewhere with good swimming pool.

In a hotel, would mean going to bed very early if we are all in the one room area and the little one goes down at 7.30.

Would be ideal to have separate lounge area?

Self catering obviously more suitable but for one night you would like the hotel.

Anybody with positive experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I only have one experience to reference and that is in the Maritime in Bantry. Don't know where you are based so this might be a completely useless recommendation. We went in July and our suite was a bedroom with a separate living area joined by a small hallway that also led out to the main corridor of the hotel. We set up the living area with a travel cot and it worked out great. We were still tied to the room but at least we had our own room and could watch TV, and keep the lights on :) If you can get a similar setup, it is definitely worth it. We did a night in a hotel in Dublin in March that was just one room. It was fine.... but you do end up sitting in the dark reading a Kindle or watching something on your phone under the covers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

The woodlands hotel in adare county limerick have lovely family rooms. Basically a large bedroom with a second small twin room attached. Ideal for a baby or even two kids. Lovely family run hotel with pool, was there for friends wedding. V reasonable too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Why don't you look at self-catering attached to hotels?the likes of Fota Island and others have lodges or apartments that are self catering.Could be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The Clarion in Sligo is all small suite type rooms I think, or at least any room I've stayed in it has been like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

We spent a night in Parknasilla recently, absolutely beautiful. The family rooms have a separate are behind the main bedroom with two single beds. We were able to watch TV and have a drink without disturbing our 3 year old. They all have lovely sea views too. The hotel itself is stunning, food is fab and great service. Lovely pool and lots of activities for kids. Just a great spot. They also have lodges available.

Avon Rn Blessington is lovely too. Large 3 bed town houses with the amenities of an hotel and right on the lake so beautiful scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Kerry would be lovely but only looking for a night or two away so maybe somewhere about 2 hour drive or less from Dublin.

looked into that place in blessington but some very bad reviews on it lately.

any other good places that might be worth looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

We stayed in conamara coast hotel last year, it was fab. Big adjoining rooms in ground floor, nice pool, loads if space for kids to run around, playground in the grounds and a lovely walkway along the sea, can't remember the price but it was good value.

Advertisement