Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Science Degree, level 7 enough?

Options
  • 20-06-2016 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi there, I have currently finished my 3rd year ordinary degree for computing science which gives me a level 7 qualification, although if I go back for another year It will give me a level 8 degree. I done really well in my exams and received a distinction which is the best award given in my IT.

I am planning on probably working in java programming as i seem to like that and heard the money is really good off various websites.

So my questions is

Will not having the level 8 affect my pay packet in a few years or after a certain amount of years is it down to experience and ability?

now i know some will say just do the level 8 and have it done, but if it isnt going to make much difference down the line i would much rather gain a years experience, and also am struggling with the money sutuation.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

some places have certain prerequisites for a position. IE candidates must have x y & z.

so you might find yourself not meeting the requirements for a position in the future. But in my experience most say hons degree or equivalent experience. So most jobs won't exclude you once you have experience.

Another consideration si, if you and another candidate are applying for a position and you are otherwise equal candidate would the employer opt for the one with better qualification? maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Level 7 is not a full honors degree, it's an old fashioned diploma, level 8 is a full honors degree. Most employers (including us) will state a level 8 is a minimum requirement, so stick out the remaining year. It will be worth it.

Also, everyone and their Aunts have a level 8 these days, by sticking to a level 7 you are immediately ruling yourself out by a lot of potential employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

Cheers that's good advice,just wondering if it was a job with 5 years plus experience would you still look for the degree then? Just because i may know someone who can get my foot in the door.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

It's down to the employer, a lot goes through HR, bottom line, if you don't have the base degree (level 8) then your CV doesn't meet minimum requirements and is "keep on file, in a filing cabinet".

For the sake of an extra year, it's not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

davo2001 wrote: »
    It's down to the employer, a lot goes through HR, bottom line, if you don't have the base degree (level 8) then your CV doesn't meet minimum requirements and is "keep on file, in a filing cabinet".

For the sake of an extra year, it's not worth the risk.

For clarity, this means it goes through a shredder (if they are reputable) or a bin (if they are not) :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Why stop if you're doing so well? A diploma is useless as a stand alone, maybe if it was on top of an existing honours degree.

In a job market awash with Comp Sci graduates with degrees, and where masters are becoming even more common a level 7 cannot compete imo.

Advertisement