Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what should I do?

Options
  • 20-06-2016 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi guys. If i could have your opinion about something?

I have just left my job after 20 years in retail and I nolonger want to work in retail what should I do?

Sort of lost here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,746 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any other interests or skills you want to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You possibly need a professional or good nonjudgemental friend who calls it as it is, provided you are willing to accept that.
    Set out a good CV. This will be as much about exploring your own skills as any thing else. Retail, gives you a big range of people skills which you should not under estimate.
    What are you interested in is also a good starting point. If it looks like it might take you a little while to get into some thing else, it is a good idea to volunteer in some area, both for your own good and helps with not having a idle patch.

One very basic thought people don't set out is, would you only work a job for some one else or would you consider being self employed in some area you are really interested in?
    Don't be afraid to do some courses or further education no matter what age.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

macbeth3 wrote: »
    Hi guys. If i could have your opinion about something?

I have just left my job after 20 years in retail and I nolonger want to work in retail what should I do?

Sort of lost here.

Strangers on the internet arn't going to define what you do with your life, but surely you know that already.

What in retail were you doing specifically? What interests do you have? Retail can be pretty broad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I left the hotel industry after 20+ years, went back to college and studied IT. Delighted I left my job when I did and couldn't be happier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I thought that was one of the main points of Boards. Unbiased opinion from others. It is given freely and in my case anyway, totally neutral as to the OP taking it.

It is hopefully a nonjudgemental forum. Any one seeking to make a change of direction in their lives in Ireland need all the support they can find.

• Advertisement
Advertisement