Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only house in estate not to have Fibre

Options
  • 20-06-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

We are currently with Sky for TV, broadband and phone but want to move to Eir. We were waiting until our house was Fibre enabled. Several of our neighbours told us they have Fibre. My husband rang Eir this morning and was informed that we are the only house in the entire estate of approx 200 houses that does not have Fibre! Eir wouldn't tell him why. They wouldnt investigate to see if it's a fault. He spoke to several people in Sales and technical and none wanted to help. Even when he said we want to move to Eir, they told us we would just get standad broadband. He is spitting feathers. They more or less said that's just the way it is so just live with it. So we're supposed to accept that every single house in our estate has fibre except us?!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi there. Thanks for getting in touch. I’m very sorry to hear this. I can appreciate your frustration completely. [/font]I’m afraid in relation to the efibre the service would be individual to each line running into the premises. It can be a case that the efibre is available in your area however not available on your line. Unfortunately [font=Verdana, sans-serif]as you are with another provider for data protection reasons we wouldn’t have access to view your cabinet & line information we can only test your line. I can only suggest to keep an eye on the roll out map online here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ & once the service is available on your line you will be notified. Apologies I am unable to offer you better news on this from here. - Stacey[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

That's a bit of a cop out throwing a canned response in here.

Surely when 199 houses have fibre and 1 doesn't, something went wrong. Maybe an engineer forgot to plug his line in or something silly.

Would it really be unreasonable to get an engineer to go and check?

I'm sorry you feel this way however if your line is not testing for the efibre we would be unable to arrange a technician call out I'm afraid. Apologies again I can't offer you better news. - Stacey

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hells Belles

I'm sorry you feel this way however if your line is not testing for the efibre we would be unable to arrange a technician call out I'm afraid. Apologies again I can't offer you better news. - Stacey

Unbelievable. What is the problem here? Why are Eir being so unhelpful here? Whats the reason the line is not testomg for efibre? I will contact Comreg so.

I'm very sorry you feel this way. I'm afraid if your line is not yet active for the efibre we would be unable to arrange a techncian call out as Eir do not offer a call out service until the line is active & testing for efibre. Efibre is individual to each line so we would need to wait until your line is activated. All available information on the efibre roll out is available in the above link. If you wish to query further clarification of this with comreg you can do so no problem as I can appreciate your frustration completely & I am very sorry I can't offer you further information on this however as you are not an Eir customer I wouldn't have access to view your line information from here for security reasons so I would be unable to offer you further information on this. - Stacey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Surely when 199 houses have fibre and 1 doesn't, something went wrong. Maybe an engineer forgot to plug his line in or something silly.
    Not necessarily. Its quite common for old cabling to leave some premises bypassing the local cabinet and thus being ineligible.

My house for example connects to Exchange A while every other house within 500m connects to Exchange B. This precludes us from VDSL as the nearest cab is thus way too far out. 

OpenEir do not do network re-arrangement so sending a surveying tech would be pointless as even finding the cause his response would just be "nobody will fix it, tough".

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hells Belles

ED E wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Its quite common for old cabling to leave some premises bypassing the local cabinet and thus being ineligible.

My house for example connects to Exchange A while every other house within 500m connects to Exchange B. This precludes us from VDSL as the nearest cab is thus way too far out. 

OpenEir do not do network re-arrangement so sending a surveying tech would be pointless as even finding the cause his response would just be "nobody will fix it, tough".

Sorry I should have made it clear that our house was only built 10 years ago. All the houses in the estate date from 1970. However we bought a detached house on a side plot a couple of years ago which was built in 2006 and would have got a brand new line in then. Which makes it even stranger that we wouid be the only house not to be fibre enabled. When we moved in to the new house, the previous owners were with Eircom and we moved to Sky. There was a massive saga for weeks as we didn't have broadband. Sky then found out that someone in Eircom had unplugged us from the exchange by mistake. It took weeks to sort out. It makes me all the more suspicious that something is awry again !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

ED E wrote: »
    Not even as a chargeable service?  What would happen if a customer cancels, has the line physically removes and then signs up again?

Advertisement