Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with new bike purchase

Options
  • 20-06-2016 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Looking at a new bike purchase. Have budgeted around €1,000 (can add a €100 or so more if a good deal). Have been searching boards/other sites for recommendations and came up with the short list below. Don't have a preference for carbon or alu frame but was thinking at least Shimano 105 (or equivalent from another manufacturer) if spending €1,000ish.

Would appreciate any opinions on the below and if there is any other models I should be looking at. Of course prices I have quoted would be minus shipping etc

Planet X Pro Carbon - full 105 or Ultegra mix or SRAM Force are all coming in at €1,096
    Canyon Endurace AL 6.0 - full 105 for €999
    Rose SL-2000 - full 105 for €1,099

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

I would pick the Canyon Endurace AL 6.0 myself from those options.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Type 901

Thanks for that!

Have been leaning towards the Pro Carbon or Canyon AL 6.0.
    From what I understand, Pro Carbon SRAM Force would get me a better groupset (minus the brakes which are FSA) but not as good wheelset and tyres.
    Canyon would get me a better wheelset and tyres but slightly "worse" groupset (105) although does include 150 brakes.

Frames look to be roughly the same weight (assume older carbon design to more modern ALU design) so suppose the real decision is higher end ALU or low end carbon...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Suspect you won't go far wrong with any of those. I have the Rose SL 2000 , about 18 months now and love it.
    One other thing to compare for value apart from groups is what wheel set comes with those packages. That might be a decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

Thought about a Boardman Team Carbon 2014? they're on sale in Halfords for 809 with half tiagra and half 105, couldn't cost that much to upgrade the rest to 105?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Type 901

NLC1072 wrote: »
    Thought about a Boardman Team Carbon 2014? they're on sale in Halfords for 809 with half tiagra and half 105, couldn't cost that much to upgrade the rest to 105?

Was the €809 price in store only? Just looking at the Halfords site and the bike is at €899.
    Might get a look at one in person as a bit short on details from the website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement